Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scratches.....!

Views : 2001

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 12:19   #11
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
I know its a nightmare, but there will be plenty more!

As I've said before on here, I'm sure some do it just for spite.

I've got too many to mention now on my 54 plate.

Its very annoying.Dark cars can look very nice but the scratches show up something awful.Silver is your best colour for masking scratches.The most annoying thing is that most of these marks just appear from nowhere.

peter.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 15:55   #12
lillia
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
I know its a nightmare, but there will be plenty more!

As I've said before on here, I'm sure some do it just for spite.
I agree. Have been on the receiving end of similarly spiteful actions this week. Got the car detailed a couple of weeks ago. On the whole, the car was looking great, certainly as far as colour clarity was concerned. Then I noticed a deepish scratch right over the grille this weekend in a place that could not be accidental. Then another on the bonnet. I have two people in mind, no doubt they will try again so I will catch them red-handed.

A funny thing though, is that stone chips appear to be far more numerous after detailing than before; it's depressing, because the white chips do not contrast well with the dark finish. Worse yet, in places, these chips can be felt with the finger. Am wishing I'd left well enough alone...

I have now been told to cover the chips with touch up paint. Can anyone suggest where I might get hold of this one: Black Sapphire Metallic, colour code 452? Anything I need to look out for while applying it? I'm hoping to fix things this weekend.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 17:30   #13
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia View Post
I agree. Have been on the receiving end of similarly spiteful actions this week. Got the car detailed a couple of weeks ago. On the whole, the car was looking great, certainly as far as colour clarity was concerned. Then I noticed a deepish scratch right over the grille this weekend in a place that could not be accidental. Then another on the bonnet. I have two people in mind, no doubt they will try again so I will catch them red-handed.

A funny thing though, is that stone chips appear to be far more numerous after detailing than before; it's depressing, because the white chips do not contrast well with the dark finish. Worse yet, in places, these chips can be felt with the finger. Am wishing I'd left well enough alone...

I have now been told to cover the chips with touch up paint. Can anyone suggest where I might get hold of this one: Black Sapphire Metallic, colour code 452? Anything I need to look out for while applying it? I'm hoping to fix things this weekend.

Thanks!
Dark colours are dead easy to touch up. Silver is the worst.

Get a touch up pen kit from a Volvo dealer. Also buy some thinners and the very finest artists brush you can. Mix a drop of colour and clear top coat about 50/50, it's not too important, and carefully paint along the scratch. The mixed paint will start to thicken quickly but use the thinners to keep it workable. You don't want a thick build up on the scratch as that will show up. Better several thin coats rather than one thick gluey one. Should be almost invisible.

Oh for the days when solid colours were the norm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 20:08   #14
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

I recently got the volvo touch up pen kit, worked a treat, you can basically over fill the scratches with the paint pen, leave x amount of time, then use the soft clothe rubber thing they supply to make it flat to the car, then brush on the lacquer.
Bill Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Edmondson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 20:10   #15
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Anybody tried this clay polishing lark, its all over the place in halfords
Bill Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 21:39   #16
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmondson View Post
Anybody tried this clay polishing lark, its all over the place in halfords
Yup... results are fantastic but approach with care. www.DetailingWorld.com is a must if you've never done it before - or get someone who has to show you. I actually did a demo at one of my Omega club meets last month - they were amazed at the results - it's always easier to see it for real and get a couple of tips from someone who's atually done it - but there are plenty of guides on D/W. My biggest tip - don't try and rush it... take your time and allow plenty of time (especially for the XC90)

Cheers
Ian
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 22:12   #17
harvey07
Master Member

Aye, agreed the silver is a pain !
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 22:22   #18
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Yup... results are fantastic but approach with care. www.DetailingWorld.com is a must if you've never done it before - or get someone who has to show you. I actually did a demo at one of my Omega club meets last month - they were amazed at the results - it's always easier to see it for real and get a couple of tips from someone who's atually done it - but there are plenty of guides on D/W. My biggest tip - don't try and rush it... take your time and allow plenty of time (especially for the XC90)

Cheers
Ian
I have used it a Year or so ago and the result is absolutely amazing. My advise is to wash the car extremely well before even starting to touch it with clay (preferred do a foam-pre wash) then normal shampoo's etc etc. Use a good activator and use plenty of it and make sure you keep folding the clay outside inwards so you always use a clean area of the bar.
It will take all the wax off that was ever on there, so get a good quality wax and apply 1 or 2 times when finished with the clay. The result is absolutely amazing!
It will take quite a few hours though to do an xc90...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron_XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 17:29   #19
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 View Post
I have used it a Year or so ago and the result is absolutely amazing. My advise is to wash the car extremely well before even starting to touch it with clay (preferred do a foam-pre wash) then normal shampoo's etc etc. Use a good activator and use plenty of it and make sure you keep folding the clay outside inwards so you always use a clean area of the bar.
It will take all the wax off that was ever on there, so get a good quality wax and apply 1 or 2 times when finished with the clay. The result is absolutely amazing!
It will take quite a few hours though to do an xc90...

Claying is definately worth the effort, but as Ron advises you must do it correctly and keep it lubricated all the time otherwise you will make a mess.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote