Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replaced DRL's with LED's

Views : 3158

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2011, 21:20   #11
Ibge

Yes the grille kit is from ebay in the US.

I would have like to fit the LED's within the headlamp or fit halo rings like BMW have perhaps but i went for the simpler option.
Ibge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 22:34   #12
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibge View Post
The install very was very simple, i just spliced with connectors into the wires for the side lights.
I did expect to get an error light with the bulbs missing for the sidelights but the LED's must be drawing enough.

The flexible strips are from ebay and they are ones that you can cut down to the size needed.

The rear lights i have left but i am thinking of a similar update.
Are they the 24s http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-24-LED-Lin...item1c1511fb3e
or the 48s
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-48-LED-Lin...item1c1511fb6f
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 10:55   #13
Ibge

Hi,
They are the 48's which you can cut every 3 lights. I cut 6 lights off to fit.

The ones i got came with the 3M tape to attach but the ones you listed are much cheaper and look identical.

I did need to drill any holes either as you can just feed the wires straight through the grille gaps.

good luck and let me know how you get on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibge For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 13:44   #14
hancym
Master Member

How much did the dealer charge you for switching off DLR?
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 15:25   #15
Ibge

nothing is switched off. I have simply removed the sidelight bulbs and the power now feeds the LED's.

I can plug the bulbs back in and have all lights working
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 16:27   #16
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
How much did the dealer charge you for switching off DLR?
He's just turned the switch to sidelights only so the drls aren't on at this setting.

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Mar 17th, 2011 at 17:10.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 16:32   #17
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

I think they look very good, BUT - about to throw proverbial spanner in the works -
( IMHO ) you have left yourself open to potential prosecution, and MOT failure !

Legislation that came into effect in the UK in February 2011 requires NEW vehicles to be fitted with Daylight Running Lamps ( DRL's).

These must be ON during the day - they are designed to be bright enough to be seen during the day,
but because they are so bright they must be switched OFF at night - when the headlamps are switched on, so as not to dazzle other road users.

Alternatively they must DIM automatically when the headlamps are switched on, if the DRL's are also used as the "Obligatory Position lamps".
DRL's must be approved and carry the "E4 RL" marking.

The LED's you see on Audi's and the like are these new DRL's.

Prior to February 2011, vehicles are not required to have DRL's but can have them as an option.
There IS a requirement to have approved "Obligatory Position lamps".

If your LED strips are approved for use as "Obligatory Position lamps" then you should be OK, or,
if you put the "sidelight" ( Obligatory lamp ) bulbs back in, you should be OK,
as the LED's would then be optional additional lamps which are acceptable,
but if the LED strips are NOT approved as Obligatory lamps, then not having the Sidelight bulbs in
means you could get prosecuted for not having, or not maintaining, your "Obligatory Position lamps" !

I wouldn't take my word for the above though ! - Seek advice from an MOT Testing Station,
and ask whether they think your LED strips are legal as Obligatory Position lamps, instead of the "proper" sideights.

If they say "Yes" then you could use them to back you up, if you got stopped by our friends in Blue.

2008 XC90 D5 Executive, Sandstone Beige Leather, Active Bi-Xenons, Electric Sun Roof, Roof rails, Climate Control, Twin electric front heated seats, Volvo DTi, Full integrated phone, Westfalia Tow Bar....
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 16:52   #18
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibge View Post
The install very was very simple, i just spliced with connectors into the wires for the side lights.
I did expect to get an error light with the bulbs missing for the sidelights but the LED's must be drawing enough.

The flexible strips are from ebay and they are ones that you can cut down to the size needed.

The rear lights i have left but i am thinking of a similar update.
Well done that man. Look very good
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 17:12   #19
Ibge

i agree i may need to put the bulbs back in for MOT purposes and will see what they say.....i actually already have some LED bulbs to use in case

However i did also read a bit on the legality piece and if i remember right about the turning off of them at night, this only applied when they are within a certain range of the headlights/main beam. As my strips are some distance from the headlight i don't think that rule applies.
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 20:28   #20
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

If you have to put them back in to pass an MOT,
then you need them in every time you take the car on a road - Day or Night !

Let us know how you get on

2008 XC90 D5 Executive, Sandstone Beige Leather, Active Bi-Xenons, Electric Sun Roof, Roof rails, Climate Control, Twin electric front heated seats, Volvo DTi, Full integrated phone, Westfalia Tow Bar....
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote