Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scratches.....!

Views : 2002

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 17:23   #1
Addicat

Default Scratches.....!

Some horrible toerag in Waitrose car park has left some scratches on my beautiful 4 week old Sapphire Black XC90. The scratches aren't large, each is only about 1-2cms long and they aren't too deep, just down to the white base of the paint.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this (the paintwork, not the toerag in the car park), or is a call to Chipsaway the best course of action?

I knew the car would pick up knocks eventually, I just hoped to keep it looking good a little bit longer.
Addicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 18:26   #2
bembo449

try some G3 , you can buy it off the shelf these days , follow the instructions to the letter though
bembo449 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bembo449 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 20:07   #3
Sportwag

If they catch your finger nail then it will be a paint shop or smart repair. If they are light they can be wet sanded out but I don't recommend doing this yourself. Best to locate a local Pro Detailer who can do this - try Posting on Detailingworld with pics and locate yourself a proper local Detailer.
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 20:11   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
try some G3 , you can buy it off the shelf these days , follow the instructions to the letter though

Take care G3 can be quite brutal, if you are not sure what your doing, try 3M Finesse-it, easier to use IMO than G3, but as said take your time and read the instructions ... OH and stay clear of T-Cut or generic rubbing compounds.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 20:13   #5
REDSHEEPRIDD

I know its a nightmare, but there will be plenty more!

As I've said before on here, I'm sure some do it just for spite.

I've got too many to mention now on my 54 plate.
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 21:02   #6
Addicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
I know its a nightmare, but there will be plenty more!

As I've said before on here, I'm sure some do it just for spite.

I've got too many to mention now on my 54 plate.
I had a 54 plate before this one and lost count of how many door knocks and chips it had. Mind you, the last knock needed a bit more than some rubbing compound (hubbie wrote it off when a bus went into the side of it), hence the lovely new one. Strange, in 4 weeks I've only let hubbie drive it once....
Addicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 21:09   #7
REDSHEEPRIDD

Talking

Ouch - poor thing (car that is)!

Now that's one way to get a newer one!!!!
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:29   #8
oppstu

We purchased paintwork insurance when we bought our new XC90, you get a pot of money £3000 over 3 years for minor paint and dent repairs. Its good and easy to claim.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 22:54   #9
bluey_xc90

Would never us chips away - did it on mine for a couple of areas when I got it five years ago and it has all hazed and gone matt, leaving it in a right state. Will now have to respreay two entire panels to get it back to how it should be! Best bet is to fill in just the scratches with touch up paint carefully by masking and even sanding it back down.
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:17   #10
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey_xc90 View Post
Would never us chips away - did it on mine for a couple of areas when I got it five years ago and it has all hazed and gone matt, leaving it in a right state. Will now have to respreay two entire panels to get it back to how it should be! Best bet is to fill in just the scratches with touch up paint carefully by masking and even sanding it back down.
This is a common response to the Chips Away service, however to expect a quality repair carried out on your driveway compared to a climate controlled dust free bodyshop is rather ambitious, these sort of franchises vary but in general most will fall short of the mark, I saw a friend`s 6 month old BMW severely damaged after a smart repair company came to repair a tiny mark to the front wing, the guy ended up panicking and sprayed the door as well to try and blend the colour in, he failed and the local BMW body shop was required to re-instate the paint to orriginal standard.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote