Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23658

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2014, 23:30   #31
Melody121

So tonight's job was to get the engine running. The theory being if there are any issues it will be much easier to sort out the car, once we know it runs on the slimline loom it will be nice and easy once it's all fitted.
We got as far as having it turning over but no spark yet. It's been narrowed down to no positive feed to the igniter! Not sure of the cause yet but we'll be sitting down with a diagram and an electrically minded friend on Thursday to figure it out

Here she is!

http://youtu.be/bNyMGRB7BAs

Its been decided to used the mx5 tank as long as it's not so much of an odd shape it won't fit, just because I will save a lot on pumps and swirl pots and it will make life a bit easier.
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 17:59   #32
Melody121

I have a bit of an update today.
We weren't sure that we were causing a short in the wads of chopped light wiring and had pretty much none of the earths connected, So we began to stripping all the insulation off and pulling out the wires that had been cut. There is a little more work to do re wrapping it but here it is minus the excess... Probably it will never work again now lol.

My only real worry with this is that there was one wire that had been cut that went to the fuel rail plug! And another that went to the bottom of a fuse the seemed to be for the injectors... Need to study the diagrams to make sure we haven't massively cocked up lol.

Anyway I also got the first coat of red on the engine. I'm not going for immaculate, just want it to mimic the old engine really, now some dirt slapped on the sides and it's about there

The last thing to be done today was cutting out a space for the new radiator. This isn't complete as I have discovered it needs to sit in too small a space so I'm going to have to use a different rad! I've taken some measurements and will pop to the scrappy and see what I can find, I need to go there to get an alternator anyway! I could use the amazon one but I'm just not sure it would be up to the job

Phil tried to get the engine mounts drilled out the crossmember to put them on the engine ready to figure out they're new positions but unfortunately Volvo did a bloody good job of spot welding them down and they are just not coming out without a proper spotweld chisel, one is on order but may be a few days. Apparently they're not too easy to come by!

This is my week off to work on it anyway so plenty of updates for you all this week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 10:19   #33
Melody121

Some more progress was made yesterday, we mocked up the gearbox which looks like it will fit nicely, so that's a relif
I got a final coat of paint on the engine so that's ready to go now we just need to get the engine mounts off the Amazon cross member which is proving difficult! Phil drilled the spot welds but without a proper spot weld chisle they are not coming free this thing is very well put together! I'm going to try and get a chisle today but if not I have one on order for Friday.

We also started drilling the holes in the engine bay for all the wiring but thanks to some pants B&Q hole cutters which broke pretty quick we only managed to do 1 and a half lol

The other thing we did was to install my car's 3rd fuelling system. We figured it would be cheaper to fit the MX5 tank seeing as it's already baffled and has the pump in the tank. It actually fits better in the boot of the amazon anyway so I'm quite chuffed with it!

Today will be spent mostly shopping. I need enough fuel line to go down the car twice, a chisle, some hole cutters, a radiator and an alternator!
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 18:21   #34
Melody121

I started P clipping the first line to the underneath of the car after we'd been shopping all day but as it turns out the drill bits I have are sodding blunt so I only managed two before I gave up, I'll get some tomorrow.
On the plus side shopping went well, I now have all the bits I need bar a rad but I have figured out which one I'm having, one from a Rover 25 will fit nicely and is only £35 brand new!

After I failed at drilling little holes I drilled all the big holes I need in the engine bay. I did want to paint it too but ran out of time seeing as the folks are coming round tonight.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 16:10   #35
Melody121

Had a quick mock up now everything is painted and I have my rad

On with bolting it all down tomorrow! My last day before going back to work

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:23   #36
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Is the air flow meter normally that close to the exhaust?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 17:34   #37
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody121 View Post
On with bolting it all down tomorrow! My last day before going back to work
Argh! Over statement of the century! Took all day to nearly finish one engine mount!
Can't wait till this bit is over so I can do more satisfying jobs

That is where Mazda put the AFM lol the standard exhaust has a huge heat sheild!
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 19:05   #38
jimbo1593
Master Member

Looks good, keep up the good work.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 19:24   #39
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would suggest putting a heat shield around the air meter as the exhaust heat will effect it. Also would be a good idea to use exhaust wrap on the manifold to keep engine bay temps down
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 20:01   #40
Melody121

Thanks for the comments. I will have to do something with the exhaust to keep the heat in, I probably will just wrap it. I did used to run an MX5 like this with the jasma manifold and no protection for the AFM. Can't say anything ever went wrong with it but better to be safe than sorry