Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23641

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 22:57   #51
sam1800

Just came across your thread. I'm doing a similar transplant with a Miata 1.8 engine and trans in my P1800. I got a JDM engine package and should arrive this week. Looking forward to your progress and hopefully I can avoid some of the obstacles from your learnings.

Sam
sam1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 11:45   #52
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1800 View Post
Just came across your thread. I'm doing a similar transplant with a Miata 1.8 engine and trans in my P1800. I got a JDM engine package and should arrive this week. Looking forward to your progress and hopefully I can avoid some of the obstacles from your learnings.

Sam
Cool! Do you have a build thread?
What is the JDM engine package?
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 17:20   #53
sam1800

I have a build thread at the Swedespeed forunm: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-project-start

JDM engines packages are available in the US by importer which specialize on selling used engine from a Japanese cars. These engines have usually about 40-50k miles due government restriction and high cost of registering on older vehicle in Japan. Since cars not older then 25 yrs can't be imported in to US legally, they are parted and sold in pieces. I got my package with 1.8 engine, trans, wiring, ECU for $1300 shipped to my house.

Soon as I start working on getting the engine into place, I'll start a build thread here.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 18:16   #54
Melody121

Your car looks awesome! My favorite colour too

I see I didn't notice where you were. It's loads easier to get a miata engine here. The car mine came out of was bought for £500 with tax and test and the parts off it have been sold for double that without selling the parts I needs for this conversion. Actually it was one of the reasons I went for it cause it was so cheap

I have high hopes for the power of it when its done. Someone on retro rides has done the same to an MGB GT and said it has made the car faster... I've driven an couple of MGB GT's and they are faster than the amazon already
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 22:02   #55
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1800 View Post
I have a build thread at the Swedespeed forunm: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-project-start

JDM engines packages are available in the US by importer which specialize on selling used engine from a Japanese cars. These engines have usually about 40-50k miles due government restriction and high cost of registering on older vehicle in Japan. Since cars not older then 25 yrs can't be imported in to US legally, they are parted and sold in pieces. I got my package with 1.8 engine, trans, wiring, ECU for $1300 shipped to my house.

Soon as I start working on getting the engine into place, I'll start a build thread here.

Hi Ya

is that a jenson model ??? P1800 with cowhorn bumpers your modifing there ?

blimey your braver than me

kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:22   #56
sam1800

Thanks, it's not a Jensen since my VIN is above 6000. I cut up the cow horn bumper and made it straight with some welding. I'm excited to get the motor delivered tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to sam1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 18:37   #57
Melody121

Tonight I made a little progress, the welder, drill etc were busy so I was a little limited! But.. My speedo cable is back from speedy cables so I thought I would fit it shiney.

Then I fitted the new steering column joint. This was a bit more interesting than I thought as the horn wire runs all the way through the steering column and box. In the end it got cut and threaded from the box to the wheel.

I wouldn't like one of these failing on me!
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 19:21   #58
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Does it run now? Please some inofs, great project. cheers, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 21:16   #59
Melody121

Not quite but hopefully things can move a bit faster now the hard bits done!

It's been a really busy couple of days. She's sat back on her wheels and looking cool!
The other engine mount is all in and done, the engine was a tight squeeze but its in.
Everything needs a bit of extra room so I've got some fiddling to do. The transmission tunnel is a bit tight so I'm going for a removable one a la spitfire so it can be tweeked to fit.

I've also got some issues with the steering column but a spacer to bring it down should fix that nicely!

The alternator is tight but if I get a short belt it should be ok. I've also got to modify the bulkhead slightly to give a bit more clearance and the back but all this is to be expected. all in all a brilliant few days.

Some piccies for you all....

The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 23:37   #60
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Congrats. When you hoping to fire her up?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote