Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR Valve - GDI Probs ?

Views : 4133

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:23   #1
haggag01

Default EGR Valve - GDI Probs ?

Hello all,

my volvo s40 GDI has started to develop some strange symptoms..

After scanning the net I am just wondering if the EGR Valve could be the problem with most of the issues below ?

1. it will be sitting idiling at 620rpm and then it will start reving from there gradually up to 1500 rpm where it then drops down and stalls, this normally happens daily but not every time at idle.

2. normally just after driving 1-2 miles after starting the car up in the morning the first time I start to accelerate harder the car seems to just stick at that speed, the revs slowly build up and then past 4k rpm all is ok.

3. loud ticking coming from engine, strange thing is it is not there all the time, follows the revs of the car when it is there but it will start very quietly increase to a cresencdo and then silence. 5 seconds later you have the increase to cresencdo and then nothing again it is not there all the time.

Apart from this the car is great, should say it is a late 99 with 47k on the clock. All help welocme.

Regards Haggag01
haggag01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 18:05   #2
the great one

i would check the throttle housing as these coke up, so may just be that. also these engine coke up causing rough running idle
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 19:10   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

Put half a bottle of redex in engine oil and run it,

With it been direct injection like a diesel there is no fuel running over inlet valves so they get coked up over time from engine breathes so putting redex in engine oil acts as a cleaner for valves
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 10:51   #4
haggag01

hi,

gave the throttle housing a clean this morning and "touch-wood" the idle is far better both with a/c on or off, so fingers crossed.

I will try the redex in the engine and see how that go's if symptoms persist then its into volvo next friday.

Anyone know of a good volvo indy around the fife area/scotland ??

Thanks Haggag01
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 16:11   #5
haggag01

a new development,

took the car out this afternoon , had it idiling twice for at least 15mins with perfect idle ,

got it home just about to turn engine off and it starts its tricks reving from 500 -1500 for several mins, gave it some accelerater and it reved up to 2500rpm where i took my foor of the accelerater where i expect to see it drop back down but it did,nt it started reving from 2500 to 3000..
let it do this for 1/2 min before i switched engine off,

re-started and it began iding again from 500-1500, i am starting to think it is a sensor problem somewhere ?? your thoughts

TIA Haggag01
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 20:47   #6
haggag01

Unhappy

more symptom description,

the bad idle is only happening when the engine is warm, it never happens when the engine is heating up i.e. first thing in the morning.

This evening returned home and it was doing its trick from 500-1200 where to the point it is almost stalling but manages to catch itself, this fluctuates at a regular 2 second interval, let the car do this for a good 3 mins and then without touching anything the revs jumped up to 2000 and started reving to 2400 but at a far quicker rate, it became scary after 30 seconds so i ahd to turn ignition off.

Anyone got any ideas, i am starting to lose the faith, I bought a saab 9000 2.3T for £500 with 130k miles on the clock a few weeks ago and at this moment I have more faith in it.

Help,please
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:10   #7
-bobda-

Try as mentioned with the Redex, and also put 500ml of Paraffin in with a full tank of fuel and give it a good old fashioned Italian tune up.

As has been mentioned, there becomes a build up of carbon if the car is driven sympathetically which can cause problems.

From the Honest John car breakdown...
"GDI system of 1.8s prone to failure at around 60,000 miles due to carbon build up if cars are run on 95Ron petrol rather than the 97 - 99 Ron Super the engine is designed for."

HTH.
-bobda- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 22:14   #8
haggag01

well,

it went into volvo and it wasnt good news, the 2 first faults (bad idle & flat acceleration is due to a faulty high pressure fuel pump) £300 before labour.

last problem, noise that sounds like tappets is tappets £400 before labour

and rusty brake pipes from front to back £100

and 7 lamps out £50

and front and lower rear bushes need replaced £300

hallelujah, what do i do volvo dealer only offered £2.5k to trade in....

cannot argue with first 2 points as i do not know enough, but i struggle with point 3 , how do tappets go from silent to the royal philamornic orchestra in amatter of seconds ?

Thats my rant Haggag01