Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 2.4D Timing belt guard for sale

Views : 3688

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2016, 22:00   #1
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Default D5 2.4D Timing belt guard for sale

Because I've sold my car and I never fitted the belt guard I bought from forum member Element888 I have no use for it as I won't be buying another D5 anytime soon. It fits a D5244T4 and some other engines I think but it certainly would have fitted my 2008 XC70 D5.

I think Gints charges £55 gbp for these so I'm not sure what to ask for it; I wouldn't want to undercut him and lose him a sale as he made it but I also don't wish to profiteer on his enterprise so I can only say I'm looking to take sensible offers. I would have to get a postage quote on this; I am going to town tomorrow so if I remember I'll take it with me and get a quote for UK mainland delivery. The image below is the actual item I have at home and the item you will be buying.

Thanks guys

Old Jul 24th, 2016, 22:10   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Bumpy bumpy
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 23:13   #3
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

You have a PM

(IAM member since 1986)
Cantankerous One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cantankerous One For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 12:06   #4
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Sold and shipped
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 19:23   #5
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
Sold and shipped
And now fitted - thanks again Sash

IMG_1048.jpg

(IAM member since 1986)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cantankerous One For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 20:21   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous One View Post
And now fitted - thanks again Sash

Attachment 97840
I would be swopping that auxillary belt tensioner ASAP as they are the ones that fail,

Modified ones have larger torx hole
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 22:59   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
I would be swopping that auxillary belt tensioner ASAP as they are the ones that fail,

Modified ones have larger torx hole
indeed ! they are doing it all the wrong way around .. paying out good money on an unproven device to try and stop their engines being destroyed by having a known faulty tensioner on there ! Not having the cars serviced by people who know what they are doing .. Incredible incompetence really .! I'd just leave it and see if the device does it's job anytime soon ..
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 10:23   #8
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
indeed ! they are doing it all the wrong way around .. paying out good money on an unproven device to try and stop their engines being destroyed by having a known faulty tensioner on there ! Not having the cars serviced by people who know what they are doing .. Incredible incompetence really .! I'd just leave it and see if the device does it's job anytime soon ..
Clan I'm disappointed by the assumptions you have made regarding both myself and my car. My V70 has only ever been serviced by a Main dealer before I bought it at 103k miles. As soon as I bought the car and realising that the cambelt was due for renewal within the next 5k I had my local indi carry out the 108k major service and also give it a complete once over and replace anything that needed replacing - resulting in a £2k+ bill. I also checked with my local main dealer that there were no outstanding recalls for my V70. I like to know that any vehicle I own is safe and properly maintained - I am by no means an "incompetent" owner!!!

That said I didn't realise that the auxiliary belt tensioner was STILL the known faulty one, but - as perhaps I shouldn't have relied on people who SHOULD "have known what they are doing" - my ignorance could be excused.

Now that I do know I'll replace it asap.

Rant over (and I do appreciate the very helpful advice you give).

PS the cam belt guard is an extremely well make and substantial piece of kit.

(IAM member since 1986)

Last edited by Cantankerous One; Jul 31st, 2016 at 10:29.
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 11:58   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous One View Post
Clan I'm disappointed by the assumptions you have made regarding both myself and my car. My V70 has only ever been serviced by a Main dealer before I bought it at 103k miles. As soon as I bought the car and realising that the cambelt was due for renewal within the next 5k I had my local indi carry out the 108k major service and also give it a complete once over and replace anything that needed replacing - resulting in a £2k+ bill. I also checked with my local main dealer that there were no outstanding recalls for my V70. I like to know that any vehicle I own is safe and properly maintained - I am by no means an "incompetent" owner!!!

That said I didn't realise that the auxiliary belt tensioner was STILL the known faulty one, but - as perhaps I shouldn't have relied on people who SHOULD "have known what they are doing" - my ignorance could be excused.

Now that I do know I'll replace it asap.

Rant over (and I do appreciate the very helpful advice you give).

PS the cam belt guard is an extremely well make and substantial piece of kit.
sorry tony i was not talking about your situation in particular , rather just general incompetance of people not doing belts and tensioners properly . However your "independant" did not change the aux belt tensioner did he , a dangerous one that WILL fail in the near future , one that a dealer should have/ would have changed as soon as he saw it . That tensioner was subject to a service campaign it should not still be on there .people don't realise the HUGE forces involved when an AUX belt tangles it will rip a tensioner out including a vital piece of the cylinder block and ruin the block for example ,as well as ruining the head, i cant see a £60 bit of bent metal stopping this , i wonder what will happen when a belt does go and the device doesn't work .. In about 50% of the cases the aux belt does fall harmlessly to the floor .
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 12:48   #10
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Thanks Clan - apology accepted.

You were right about the independent not changing it at the 108k but even more worryingly neither did the main dealer previously - having just looked at the checklist for the 54k service carried out by Holdcroft Stoke a Volvo main dealer I notice that they ticked all the 54k items apart from the tensioner change box. Which indicates that it's not just the indies that you can't rely on to carry out a service schedule fully. Which is why I do all my own routine servicing.

I'm just glad that I posted the photo of the fitted guard and that Rooster spotted that the faulty tensioner was still there - despite the fact that it should have already been changed twice when "experts" carried out the 54k and 108k services.

It's sad to think that you can't even rely on main dealers, never mind indies, to do a proper job.

Bearing in mind that I fitted the guard myself am I right in thinking that replacing the tensioner (and presumably idler pulley) is a straight forward diy job?

(IAM member since 1986)

Tags
2.4d, aux belt, d5 diesel, guard, timing belt