Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First service/mid row seat rattle/Sensus update/stop start.

Views : 2353

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2017, 19:21   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default First service/mid row seat rattle/Sensus update/stop start.

Well that years soon past, 12 months to the day, car went in for the first anual service and major software update including Sensus update.
While in for its service I asked them to check out a rattle from nearside mid row seat area, when I picked the car back up they asked me to take it back next week as there is a known problem with the seats and a TJ for this that require modified parts ordering, so another trip back to dealer next monday,
Sensus update was carried out and so far so good but have not checked everything out yet.
I also asked them to investigate why stop/start does not work and I was told this would need recalibrating and would be done, it did not work on the way home so may need more work.

I had an S90 R design loan car, it was quieter than my XC90 (road noise) even though lower profiles tyres.
BUT UNBELIEVABLY THESE CARS DO NOT HAVE A REAR SCREEN WIPER OR WASHER, I could hardly see out of the rear window driving in town in the rain today, when going fast it clears better but the S90 badly needs a rear wash/wiper.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 6th, 2017 at 19:32.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 19:40   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Well that years soon past, 12 months to the day, car went in for the first anual service and major software update including Sensus update.
While in for its service I asked them to check out a rattle from nearside mid row seat area, when I picked the car back up they asked me to take it back next week as there is a known problem with the seats and a TJ for this that require modified parts ordering, so another trip back to dealer next monday,
Sensus update was carried out and so far so good but have not checked everything out yet.
I also asked them to investigate why stop/start does not work and I was told this would need recalibrating and would be done, it did not work on the way home so may need more work.

I had an S90 R design loan car, it was quieter than my XC90 (road noise) even though lower profiles tyres.
BUT UNBELIEVABLY THESE CARS DO NOT HAVE A REAR SCREEN WIPER OR WASHER, I could hardly see out of the rear window driving in town in the rain today, when going fast it clears better but the S90 badly needs a rear wash/wiper.
Very very unusual for any saloon to have a rear wiper......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 19:53   #3
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
I don't think I've driven a saloon that has a rear wiper. It's fairly normal for them not to have one. Normally mostly hatchbacks, estates and 4x4's that have rear wipers.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 20:17   #4
neon
Premier Member

Quote:

Do you have any more info on the TJ for the mid row seats.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 20:59   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Do you have any more info on the TJ for the mid row seats.
Sorry only that the service receptionist said that Volvo are aware of a problem and there is a fix for it but they need to order the parts. I am getting a rattle when going over a bump or rough surface.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 6th, 2017 at 21:28.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 21:06   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
I don't think I've driven a saloon that has a rear wiper. It's fairly normal for them not to have one. Normally mostly hatchbacks, estates and 4x4's that have rear wipers.
It's 20 years since I had a saloon car, all my cars have been estates, suv's or 4X4's since then, and so used to having a rear wiper, the S90 has a long shallow sloping rear window that holds water like no other car I have driven, it could do with a wiper, I was constantly searching for the none existing switch to wipe the water away and the standing water caused misting up.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 6th, 2017 at 21:25.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 00:05   #7
Jcbrown

Quote:
It's 20 years since I had a saloon car, all my cars have been estates, suv's or 4X4's since then, and so used to having a rear wiper, the S90 has a long shallow sloping rear window that holds water like no other car I have driven, it could do with a wiper, I was constantly searching for the none existing switch to wipe the water away and the standing water caused misting up.
The majority of my cars over the last 30+ years have been saloons, with the odd hatch, coupe or estate thrown in.

So I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. I am surprised when I get in a car and it DOES have a rear wiper, and typically forget to use it

On the S90 I find the rear visibility pretty poor at the best of times (though no worse than many of its peers). So having the rear window covered in rain I find no great issue

Agree about the misting up when covered in rain. But a few mins with the rear demister restores my previous limited view of the 'boy racer' in their 15 year old, borderline-MOT Corsa, 2" off my rear bumper on a rain-soaked road, trying to push me to do 60+ in a 40
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:45   #8
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Ref stop start inop it's sw causing fault Volvo are working on it dealer should no this
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 13:47   #9
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
Ref stop start inop it's sw causing fault Volvo are working on it dealer should no this
If they are working on it, I do hope very much that they will allow it to be switched by voice control. Please! Pretty-Please!!

Just yesterday I was queuing at a traffic light to come out of Tesco and the stop-start was great, but often we just don't want the engine to stop, knowing its only for a second or two. Queuing for Junction2 on the M32 Fishponds Bristol roundabout, from the B4058 Stapleton Rd direction creeping along for ten minutes and crossing two lanes of near stationary traffic in gridlock to get back to the M4, on what I call 'The roundabout of Death', one wants to concentrate and not be distracted by the engine constantly stopping and starting or ****ing about looking for the kill switch.

Same goes for Sport mode [Dynamic] on the transmission. It really shouldn't be necessary to press the roller, turn it and select again from a list. It should be available instantly both ways, ideally by pushing the gearstick sideways like every other car. Leave the other modes as they are, but Dynamic needs to be instantly selectable.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 13:58   #10
Deman77
Master Member

They are too busy drawing new shapes of large animals for their fancy avoidance system to be concerned with mere convenience problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post: