Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roof Box Arrived

Views : 3930

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 19:40   #1
S60Chris
Master Member

Default Roof Box Arrived

Hi All,

I had another thread about Roof Bars but now the box has arrived (thanks all for help & suggestions) I thought I would create a new thread so it was more searchable and in case anyone else was looking at roof boxes ahead of going away anywhere this summer.

Ours arrived yesterday - fitted today - pleased with how it looks. Attached some pictures below.

For reference, we have the Volvo wing bars https://www.volvopartshop.com/load-c...16-19375-p.asp

And the Thule Motion XT XL https://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule-motion-xt-xl/ (not the biggest - they also do an XXL) in Titan grey colour. I think this suits luminous sand more than the black box would have done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 20:29   #2
pagan8c
Master Member

It looks nearly the same colour as the car in the photos. Very nice looking box. I suppose it could be painted to match the car if one wanted.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 20:37   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Are those the tall rails or standard height rails.?
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 21:05   #4
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Are those the tall rails or standard height rails.?
It's an inscription so the lower ones. I think only the momentum has the tall ones.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 21:16   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
It's an inscription so the lower ones. I think only the momentum has the tall ones.
Sorry I miss-understood the text in the link for the bars, when it mentioned car heights when fitted, I though there were two heights of bars, silly me, I forgot about the two different rails.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 10:04   #6
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Sorry I miss-understood the text in the link for the bars, when it mentioned car heights when fitted, I though there were two heights of bars, silly me, I forgot about the two different rails.
Ah sorry, yes - although I think you need different bars for the momentum. I don't think the type I bought are compatible with anything other than the low profile inscription/R Design ones.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 10:23   #7
brody05

For the momentum these thule wingbar edge look great and i cant tell the difference between these and the volvo ones.

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg
brody05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 10:51   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
Ah sorry, yes - although I think you need different bars for the momentum. I don't think the type I bought are compatible with anything other than the low profile inscription/R Design ones.
I have an Inscription and would like a lower profile roof bar to fit closer to the roof when fitted on the rails but I see that they need to be set higher to avoid anything hitting the sharks fin at the rear of the roof, which is well illustrated in your photos.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 00:12   #9
brody05

Quote:
I have an Inscription and would like a lower profile roof bar to fit closer to the roof when fitted on the rails but I see that they need to be set higher to avoid anything hitting the sharks fin at the rear of the roof, which is well illustrated in your photos.
Thats not true, depending on where you mount them, mine are positioned well, the front is at the very front and the rear ones are just in front of the upright support, as the angle of the roof is more pronounced at the front I can put anything flat on the racks and clear the shark fin, the roof box is the biggest thule make and it is positioned as far back as I can put it with the boot all the way open, clears the shark fin so no worries at all.

I have taken the roof box off as we only use it every once and a while for trips to the snow but I also use a kayak in the summer so tested the rails on the momentum out for our purposes well.
brody05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 00:34   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody05 View Post
Thats not true, depending on where you mount them, mine are positioned well, the front is at the very front and the rear ones are just in front of the upright support, as the angle of the roof is more pronounced at the front I can put anything flat on the racks and clear the shark fin, the roof box is the biggest thule make and it is positioned as far back as I can put it with the boot all the way open, clears the shark fin so no worries at all.

I have taken the roof box off as we only use it every once and a while for trips to the snow but I also use a kayak in the summer so tested the rails on the momentum out for our purposes well.
I have an Inscription and the rails are a lot lower than the momentum.