Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best driving style??

Views : 999

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 19:33   #1
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

Default Best driving style??

I've had my S70 T5 for 6 months or so now and i seem to get around 15mpg weather i drive like grandma or drive it like i stole it.
Does anyone else find this to be true or should i change my lead boots to slippers?
T5 GAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 19:38   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Should be doing a bit better than 15mpg.

When was the car last serviced - and what was actually done?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 19:45   #3
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

It is due an oil change and 6 months ago it had all filters, belts, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, oils and fluids etc replaced. But my car is pretty much only used for pottering about town and showing up the local gti loosers. Straight after servicing i might see 17 mpg but there's still not much difference between steady or quick driving in terms of fuel consumption.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 19:56   #4
Rnash2002
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5 GAV View Post
It is due an oil change and 6 months ago it had all filters, belts, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, oils and fluids etc replaced. But my car is pretty much only used for pottering about town and showing up the local gti loosers. Straight after servicing i might see 17 mpg but there's still not much difference between steady or quick driving in terms of fuel consumption.
Get a remap,should see alittle better mpg,also town driving will lower the mpg alot,i can get around 30/35 on long runs,then maybe 20/25 around town.
Ive got a t5 aswell with a remap,im not to far from mansfield and travel all over been to sheffield a few times last week and you have no chance of good mpg on them hills lol.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 20:01   #5
AndysR
VOC Member

15 mpg I would say that sounds like you have a very heavy right foot or a fault with something. My auto 850R gets around 27-28 combined usually and improved after having it chipped. It improved further still after I had the lamdba sensor renewed and Jim cleaned the fuel injectors. Does the car actually warm up to the correct operating temperature of half way up the gauge? Perhaps it might be worth having an emissions check to see how the car is fueling?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 20:52   #6
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

it gets upto the correct temperature quickly and holds that temperature well and the emissions are far below the mot fail limit. The car runs perfectly and i am fortunate enough to work at a franchised dealer so i have access to any tools or equipment i need including volvo trained techs if i need them, i know my engine is in tip top condition and well looked after. Maybe AndysR is right and my foot is just too heavy.
Even so, do you think it's best to wake up the turbo and get upto speed quickly or does getting to speed slowly use less fuel? I get conflicting reports from anyone else i've asked but none of them drive a volvo.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 20:55   #7
Jim S70R
Volvo S70R driver

Sounds like your foot is the problem to me

My s70 is auto and i'm getting around an average of 28ish
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 21:06   #8
martybelfastt5
Premier Member

i get around 20mpg and as you say kinda regardless of how i drive >easy trying for mpg >or driving not like i stole it tho not really worried about what it does as its gonna be the above figures,,,lol
just to add this is town driving not on a run it nears 32ish
martybelfastt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 21:08   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

if you have a fuel computer reset it and try driving 10 miles at 60 mph on a motorway ALL the way report back then ...
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 21:45   #10
pigpott

sorry to butt in im only getting 12-14 mpg i thought that no bad but it is all town work so dont get to use 3rd that often but as you all no you will have broken most speed limits by the time you get to 3rd anyway

And i think someone has put lead in my work boots lol......