Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 problems, power loss, fault codes, smoking, oil burning

Views : 2392

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 20:39   #1
Alexxc902006

Default Xc90 problems, power loss, fault codes, smoking, oil burning

Hi all, thanks for any advice in advance. I have recently purchased an xc90 2.4 2006 with 130,000 on the clock. All was running fine for the first month and then the problems began. Upon starting up in a morning there is spluttering which is solved with simple revving but which also creates plooms of white smoke. When setting off in the morning from stand still up the hill I get to 20mph and 2000revs and it just sticks. Foot to the floor and yet no more power until I reach a down hill point. (Very annoying with cars queing behind). This problem seems to pass within 20 minutes. Next issue occasionally when setting off from roundabouts so on I'm noticing puffs of black smoke in the mirror. Next oil burning, I have had to put in 8 litres of oil in 2 months and 1300 miles. Next issue p0238 comes up when I've plugged in and engine light showing on dash.Also a strange whistling type noise when coming down from 3000 revs. I know I have been screwed by the garage and should return it but they have apparently gone bust and don't answer the phones or anything. The garage is a couple of hundred miles from me otherwise I may go down, but don't think the car would make it lol. Any ideas deeply appreciated
Alexxc902006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 00:55   #2
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Knackered Turbo??

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 09:46   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Hi There, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you have so many problems with your car. On the face of it the suggestion is you've managed to acquire a bit of a neglected example with maybe multiple problems. I would suggest a pragmatic approach tackling the symptoms 1 by 1 over a few weeks until you get to a good place.

The big clue here is the oil consumption - 1 litre per 1,000 miles would be bad, 8 litres per 1,300 miles is catastrophic. Assuming it's not leaking oil, 99% of oil consumption is caused by either oil getting past the Pistons or leaking in the turbo charger. Oil leaking past the Pistons is much rarer on these engines, and as you have other issues which are indicative of a boost problem, it's sounds likely your turbo needs replacing - as has been said.

I would also ask what your MPG is like (based on fill ups rather then the computer) and what does the smoke smell like on startup? Does it smell oily or diesel like?

You didn't specifically say but I'm assuming it's the 2.4 D5 185 diesel car?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 4th, 2016 at 09:49.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 16:47   #4
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Yeah - sorry - I should have welcomed you instead of just guessing from a distance - but in my defence it was late and I was quite "relaxed"

Hope you get it sorted - keep us informed please

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 12:37   #5
dstc

Default Seized VNT ring & worn turbo seals

Our 53 plate auto XC90 was doing the same at 146k. We just got used to it going into limp mode (always going up hill where you need max power, the VNT ring is seized, you get a boost spike and goes into limp mode) and the mad dash to apply the handbrake, pop it into neutral, switch off and restart the engine whenever we could.

It was burning through litres of oil. I could see oil/soot/dust collecting on the turbo. I pulled the 90deg rubber hose off the end of the EGR cooler that feeds into the inlet manifold, the whole thing was caked in oily soot.

I ordered a used turbo from Huddersfield Volvo. And over 2 days took the turbo off, removed the whole EGR assembly, inlet manifold cover, injector lines, etc.

It was a nightmare job fitting the hard line turbo oil feed and gasket to the turbo and plumbing it into the hole in the block. Refitting the nut that holds the turbo on the exhaust manifold took many hours of swearing and smashing things. I also had to change the front and rear engine mounts, engine torque rod. I bought new injector lines, but re-used the existing ones. Just nip them up and snug them a bit more. Be sure to clean the injector seats. There is an EGR kit with new bolts and gaskets. I ended up blocking off the EGR cooler aswell.

Although i bought new injector clamps, clips, etc. i just ended up holding the clamps in a vice and bending them back into position with a hammer. No leaks from around the injector and no chuffing sounds. I wouldn't want to remove and refit the metal clips/rings on the injectors again.

It was worth it. The turbo spools great. Loads of power for pulling out at busy roundabouts and it will rev all the way up to the redline with that unique i5 warble.

I've also started putting a squirt of red 2-stroke oil in with the diesel every other tank. Lots of discussion about this already. But for me and our XC90, I feel it works.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 16:06   #6
Oldbrook
VOC Member

Hi DSTC you say you use red two stroke, which is synthetic, i all ways use green two stroke which is mineral as diesel is a mineral oil so mixes better. I read somewhere that synthetic with block the pump as mineral and synthetic don't mix. Some one will no doubt put one of us right. Dave
Oldbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 10:17   #7
Rod kemsley

Default similar with V70?

These problems sound a bit similar to my 2002 V70 D5, 160k on the clock. It's started to go through oil. Power delivery is OK but weakened and not smooth. It starts and idles fine but as you get up to around 2000rpm just when you're thinking of changing up a gear the power falters /gets kind of sticky and clouds of smoke appear. Push on through that and the power picks up again and exhaust clears - unless you really boot it, in which case it gets well smoky again and won't rev much past 4000rpm. A more mechanically savvy friend suggested Turbo seals?

I've had various suspension/wheel problems at the front end over the years but the engine has been sweet as a nut until now. Keen to keep her going if I can.

I've no clue about fixing engines - any tips on the problem / solutions / cost? Anyone else with an older Volvo know a good value garage in the central Highlands?
All help appreciated.
Rod kemsley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod kemsley For This Useful Post:

Tags
oil burning, p0238, power loss, smoking, whistling