Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Someone hit my car in Tesco! 😡😫

Views : 2665

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 20:55   #21
AlexV70Drive1

Thanks all for the replies, the guy at Tesco is looking and will pass on the reg of the car that hit mine if the camera saw anything, data protection or not they seem to look after their own 😉

if they don’t see anything then it’s tuff luck as the insurance told me it’s a fault claim without the 3rd parties details to claim it back from them. They are going ahead with the claim as a fault for now but if I can supply the details then they’ll change it to non fault, either way my no claims are protected, i have 2 fault claims within 3 years before they impact my no claims.

Behind the bumper is damaged, the headlight washer doesn’t work and I see cracked plastic from either the washer or maybe the bumper bracket I can’t tell without having it off so I’m leaving it for the body shop.
I am half regretting getting the insurance involved now I’m off the phone to them but It’s done now I hope for the CCTV to come good. I’m hoping for a repair or I will argue that it shouldn’t be written off again and I’ll take the car back or fight for extra money to buy another one with the same spec. As for my premium going up I’ll cross that bridge when i come to it, to be honest they go up for me regardless so I end up switching insurers at renewal time anyway.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 21:17   #22
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Mynah View Post
"If an insurance company writes a vehicle off because the repair bill is more than 60% of the value, as mentioned above, then that means there needs to be £3,600 plus worth of damage if your car is worth £6k for them to write it off. Looking at the pictures, I don't see the damage to your car costing that amount to be fixed, so the car probably won't be written off."

Good point well made, but one should allow for the fact that Coachwork companies will slightly load the quote for a repair if it's going to be paid for by an insurance company. Also, the job will be done to "showroom standards" which also tends to be reflected in the price.
Fair point too, although even a repair to "showroom standards" based on those pictures is doubtful to cost £3,600 (60% of the vehicle value). Maybe I'm wrong, but if it does, the business potentially doing the work on behalf of the insurance company would be making themselves a chunky profit!
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 22:28   #23
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

My sons car was hit in a Tesco car park, luckily the offending cars number plate was recorded on CCTV, number was checked on DVLA site, and it came up as untaxed, police not interested, it would have been a nice collar for them i suppose, the best bit was both cars where insured by the same company, son's car was repaired, his excess was paid back, witness statements given to insurers and they can now sort it out, son had to give a statement to coppers about the accident, still nothing heard from them months later.
The Ridge Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Ridge Rider For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 22:36   #24
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I don't see that as a police matter, unfortunately. Yes, it's criminal damage, but I don't think they'd be interested. The camera review would be a better bet.
Hit and run in a public place eg shop is open.
went through this years ago . Fail to stop & Fail to report a Accident . road traffic act .
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 22:54   #25
Boatie
Master Member

Having looked at the expanded photo as far as I can see the damage is cosmetic and restricted to the bumper (excluding the headlight washer pop up.) I just don't see where the figure of £3600 (60% of value ) comes from. Firstly I repeat that if the damage is cosmetic and restricted to the NSF bumper a Chips Away type repair would cost somewhere in the region of £250 (based on a repair to my 2017 V90 about 12 months ago). Secondly whilst I have no idea of exactly how much a V70 front bumper costs when I got hit up the back 2 years ago a new, fully pre painted rear bumper for the same 2017 V90 cost somewhere in the region of £1250. It took less than an hour for the repairer to replace (it was an insurance job). It was done whilst I waited.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 23:14   #26
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
Hit and run in a public place eg shop is open.
went through this years ago . Fail to stop & Fail to report a Accident . road traffic act .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ridge Rider View Post
My sons car was hit in a Tesco car park, luckily the offending cars number plate was recorded on CCTV, number was checked on DVLA site, and it came up as untaxed, police not interested, it would have been a nice collar for them i suppose, the best bit was both cars where insured by the same company, son's car was repaired, his excess was paid back, witness statements given to insurers and they can now sort it out, son had to give a statement to coppers about the accident, still nothing heard from them months later.
If I were you son I wouldn't hold my breath. 2 years ago I was stationary at a roundabout when a van hit me up the back . Stopped to exchange details , witnesses stopped and gave details/confirmation it was vans fault. Incident was recorded by my rear facing dash cam. Driver refused to give details and drove off. Police passed by and took full details. Apart from giving me details of van ownership some months later police took no further action. My insurance company repaired my car, cancelled my excess and I assume attempted to recover their costs. They failed and referred it to solicitors @£250 per hour. Solicitors a total waste of time and gave up. Two renewals later with no subsequent accidents my premium shot up with company holding me jointly responsible for accident.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 23:24   #27
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Having looked at the expanded photo as far as I can see the damage is cosmetic and restricted to the bumper (excluding the headlight washer pop up.) I just don't see where the figure of £3600 (60% of value ) comes from. Firstly I repeat that if the damage is cosmetic and restricted to the NSF bumper a Chips Away type repair would cost somewhere in the region of £250 (based on a repair to my 2017 V90 about 12 months ago). Secondly whilst I have no idea of exactly how much a V70 front bumper costs when I got hit up the back 2 years ago a new, fully pre painted rear bumper for the same 2017 V90 cost somewhere in the region of £1250. It took less than an hour for the repairer to replace (it was an insurance job). It was done whilst I waited.
If you read the earlier posts in this thread, the £3,600 or 60% of the car value is being used as an example - This isn't the figure that has been quoted to fix the car. The estimated figure an insurance company will pay out to fix damage is 60% of the value of the vehicle (That percentage figure could be even less now, its just a typical figure). So, if the original poster's car is worth £6k, the car would have to have in excess of £3,600 worth of damage for the insurance company to write the vehicle off - That equates to 60%.

I also stated above that I don't see £3,600 worth of damage either (That's based on 60% of the cars value), so I agree with you on that & I don't think that this car will be a write off, as I mentioned earlier too. Although, garages do have a tendency to inflate their prices to repair vehicles when an insurance company is paying for the job to earn themselves a nice profit. Of course, I may be wrong, so let the insurance company make their decision on it. I don't see it costing too much to fix & they should cover it, in theory.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 3rd, 2020 at 23:45.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 13:42   #28
AlexV70Drive1

I can tell it’s definitely not huge damage but I can see it’s been hit hard enough to push the bumper in and it’s popped back out. The marks they left show this as if the mark was only on the front face of the bumper and not on the upper edge near the headlight then it wouldn’t have broken the washer or the inside plastics, if I was going to repair it myself it would cost about £500 maybe less but the washer and cover alone is around £120 from what I’ve seen then painting if it doesn’t come painted along with the bumper refurbished with a skim of filler and paint, maybe a bumper bracket and bumper bar that runs along the length of the inside of the bumper, Can’t say if it’s affected those or not because I haven’t looked. They will have it apart in the body shop and ‘estimate’ the cost but I imagine they will pump the numbers up because they probably can.

The insurance will take care of it and hopefully give it back to me repaired nicely and I can move on or I’ll have to take the payout after arguing for more then go and buy something else. I’ll find out later today if they did check the cameras and if they got a reg for the car, otherwise it’s my fault 😔 and the bastard gets away with it.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote