Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dpf additive.

Views : 1056

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 19:13   #11
mjs57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
That link you shared previously did itself contain a link to a decent scientific paper detailing the 'benefits of adding 2T to diesel fuel (one which I'm familiar with)... http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke...ical-study.php

In a nutshell adding 2T to diesel fuel was found to cause injector fouling due to build-up of zinc. I personally would avoid adding it, or would at least look for a decent engineering or scientific study that finds a positive benefit if you really want to try.

I'm aware that just about every car forum has threads extolling the virtues of adding 2T to diesel, but I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
Yeah. I read that study about the benefits, or lack of. I wont be adding 2SO to my car, was just curious about people who do because I’ve never heard of that before. If people feel it works for them, fair play to them, I’m just gonna stick to good fuel.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 21:14   #12
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
There is also plenty of evidence from numerous forums supporting the use of 2SO - German Taxi drivers used to swear by it in their old Mercs. I used it extensively in my A2 TDi and it transformed the engine, much smoother, better mpg, quieter. However it doesn't work as well on EU5 and EU6 engines with more complex fuelling and injection patterns.
No no, never put it in Euro 6 engines, but some Euro 5 engines are happy with it mainly VW ones. And they are damn good engines especially CAYC and CFHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs57 View Post
900000k!! Fair play!
Yes my man I've been everywhere with that thing, you just can't wreck it! And I'm not going easy on the throttle either.

Going for a million!

Last edited by Baal; Jun 23rd, 2020 at 21:32.
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 01:12   #13
daniel84uk

My car ran x and ive always done y

Correlation does not imply causation
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel84uk For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 07:38   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

2 stroke oil may have had some benefits on older diesels with mechanical fuel pumps but i can’t see how it would do any good on common rail engines with electric injectors and DPF that don’t like any smoke or ash...

Even more common is the suggestions that adding about a 10% dose of unleaded about every tankful helps a diesel - many taxi drivers do this, ask a forecourt cashier. I can see that this would be beneficial as a cleaning agent and it’s can help injector spray patterns etc.

Anyhow back to the OP - the level of additive is monitored so you should get dashboard message if it’s low. Unhelpfully it’s just a ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 14:00   #15
bugsb

if you have to top up the tank make sure the garage resets the counter or as another thread the computer will not know it was done .
the reason for 2st oil is to lube the main fuel pump bearing many big names included have had the metal fillings in the fuel problem and a big bill to resolve the problem , do a search on the net tons of info about the metal fillings . its not any 2st oil it has to be mineral low ash , also read up on how much to use as too much is not good either
bugsb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bugsb For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 14:02   #16
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsb View Post
if you have to top up the tank make sure the garage resets the counter or as another thread the computer will not know it was done .
the reason for 2st oil is to lube the main fuel pump bearing many big names included have had the metal fillings in the fuel problem and a big bill to resolve the problem , do a search on the net tons of info about the metal fillings . its not any 2st oil it has to be mineral low ash , also read up on how much to use as too much is not good either
Thank you for explaining so I don't have to
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote