Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random stains appearing on blonde nappa

Views : 1369

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2020, 20:22   #1
AJRFulton

Default Random stains appearing on blonde nappa

I have a 2018 XC60 inscription with Blonde Nappa. I am pretty much the only user of the car, as I've no family - occasional passenger.

About a year ago a large discolouration started appearing on my front passenger seat. I couldn't understand where it came from as it looked like spilled cola (I don't drink cola, and haven't noticed anyone spill anything the odd time I do get a passenger in).

The seconds stain appeared on the back seat, which almost never get used. I found it odd as I was working in Abu Dhabi over winter, and the car was garaged for 4 months - a few spot stains had appeared when I came home which were not there when I left.

The stains appear to get darker with time, and (it may be just my imagination), exposure to sunlight. I can clean them to be less noticable, but they get darker again with time. It's as if it is coming from under the leather.

Whenever I clean the car, I use autoglym leather clearer or... just soapy water.

Has anyone any experience of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200701_201224.jpg (228.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 20200701_201242.jpg (234.8 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by AJRFulton; Jul 1st, 2020 at 20:25.
AJRFulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 21:16   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Odd that, the stains on the rear seats looks like water stain spots, have you a sunroof. The passenger front seat looks totally different. Haven’t a clue what could have caused that.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 21:29   #3
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRFulton View Post

Whenever I clean the car, I use autoglym leather clearer or... just soapy water.

Do you have heated seats in the front and back? I wonder if the oil in the leather coming to the surface.

i would try cleaning & recondition them using something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1154865223

I use this and its good stuff.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 01:22   #4
AJRFulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
Odd that, the stains on the rear seats looks like water stain spots, have you a sunroof. The passenger front seat looks totally different. Haven’t a clue what could have caused that.

The stains look difference in pattern, but are the same in colour and nature. Also the same in the sense they just seemed to randomly appear. The front seat one, I started noticing and it kept getting darker and darker. The rear had also followed same pattern, it gets darker and darker with time.

I cant understand where they are coming from. The front one I could explain, but rear.... no explanation.

I have no sunroof. And heated/cooled seats in front only.

The thing that sways me away from a cola/water stain is the liquid would need to settle uphill if you get me. Any spill would run downhill, and both stains are uphill from that. Also on the front seat, there is no staining on the leather on the expansion flap/seam of the electric chair. Only on the perforated bits - it genuinely seems to come from below the leather.

Last edited by AJRFulton; Jul 2nd, 2020 at 01:27.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 01:23   #5
AJRFulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
Do you have heated seats in the front and back? I wonder if the oil in the leather coming to the surface.

i would try cleaning & recondition them using something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1154865223

I use this and its good stuff.
Used this stuff, it fades the stain to the point you only see it if you are looking for it.

But 2-3wks later its back
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 17:23   #6
Director76
Master Member

I had a very similar problem quite a few years back with a SAAB 93 SC convertible, with blonde seats - the problem only occurred on the passenger seat, and I realised it was sun lotion from the (now mrs D76) wearing short skirts and shorts with sun cream on her legs getting onto the seats. This was permanently discolouring the leather and no cleaning would get the yellowing off.

SAAB actually changed the seat cover under warranty - I didn’t tell them I’d worked out what was causing it...

D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 18:16   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
I had a very similar problem quite a few years back with a SAAB 93 SC convertible, with blonde seats - the problem only occurred on the passenger seat, and I realised it was sun lotion from the (now mrs D76) wearing short skirts and shorts with sun cream on her legs getting onto the seats. This was permanently discolouring the leather and no cleaning would get the yellowing off.

SAAB actually changed the seat cover under warranty - I didn’t tell them I’d worked out what was causing it...

D76
I was going to suggest makeup, it's very good at staining more than faces.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 18:43   #8
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Could it be leeching up from the cushion itself?

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 19:40   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post

D76
She ruined your car, and you still married her?!

Anyway, yes sunscreen is evil stuff. Got some on the paint and it is a complete pain to remove. T cut and loads of pressure eventually got rid, was convinced it was going to need a machine polish.....

Got some on the interior plastic of the V50 and basically never got it off, but it was a company car and I left the company on, lets say, less than amicable terms so I wasn't weeping too much about some marks on the trim....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 20:09   #10
Kenp8257

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRFulton View Post
I have a 2018 XC60 inscription with Blonde Nappa. I am pretty much the only user of the car, as I've no family - occasional passenger.

About a year ago a large discolouration started appearing on my front passenger seat. I couldn't understand where it came from as it looked like spilled cola (I don't drink cola, and haven't noticed anyone spill anything the odd time I do get a passenger in).

The seconds stain appeared on the back seat, which almost never get used. I found it odd as I was working in Abu Dhabi over winter, and the car was garaged for 4 months - a few spot stains had appeared when I came home which were not there when I left.

The stains appear to get darker with time, and (it may be just my imagination), exposure to sunlight. I can clean them to be less noticable, but they get darker again with time. It's as if it is coming from under the leather.

Can you try the dealer for replacement seat covers?

I got my driver seat cover (R-Design S90) replaced under warranty as it had worn excessively.....

Good luck
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote