Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another P1800 convertible for sale

Views : 9523

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:30   #1
ANDREWNT

Default Another P1800 convertible for sale

Just spotted this thought it might be of interest to some of you since they are so rare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-P-18...item4ac1d1b777
ANDREWNT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDREWNT For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 19:14   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREWNT View Post
Just spotted this thought it might be of interest to some of you since they are so rare.

i have been told this one was a d.i.y conversion and must be seen to have a real idea of standard of work done to it all that aside its another p1800 convertible but is not in the high end figures as its devaled with no paperwork

like if it was worded on the logbook then we would be talking real deal or on a register documented buy a company of the time as we all know them i will not quote the aftermarket conversions companies as they already been talked about

all in all a good car i would say £10 , 000 tops until its been checked over and any bad points and boy do they have em as they can break there backs !! which i would say this is highly prone to due to a un professinal conversion

buyer tred carful and have it looked over well but what a car tho they look so nice when done right

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 19:45   #3
Eagerbeaver

Wow, £10k, that is harsh considering the rust bucket coupes that you see changing hands for more than that.

I guess it's a case of buyer beware!!
Eagerbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 22:21   #4
tdz840
VOC Member

Did the convertibles have that large sill section or does this mean it is a conversion done privately?
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 22:35   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Did the convertibles have that large sill section or does this mean it is a conversion done privately?
yes that is needed to keep the strength . due to the roof being chopped off , but each company had there own way around it to attempt to stop them breaking there backs .
ie : snapping in half the first time you go over a bump or even worse cases a hump back bridge was reported to have killed the first conversion hence them all doing more to stop this from happening some was a poor attempt

my dad when he did his convertible which this guys used to refference with taken from the VEC website did both bodyline and radfords recommended procedures one was already done but he did the other to ensure a 100% strong car with no chance of it breaking its back !

he also researched and did the hood to as near as you could get it , shape from how an original coupe is styled took him 5-6 months to perfect it

and he has full drawings and spec sheets todo them now including templates of everything like the hood there not easy to convert and as i said before when there done right boy do they look the bussiness as my dads car shows.

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 22:42.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 22:36   #6
tdz840
VOC Member

tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 22:49   #7
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
YES . that large sill section is a length of box section welded on back of the original sill to attempt to strengthen the car up so in a nutshell yes.

any company that did the few yes did add that section in and other companies added other pieces in key areas but of course as we all know how hard is it to weld some old box section in that place not hard . if you had seen one prior , to have that knowledge.

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 13:45   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I've always wanting to build a convertible but would probably rather do a Amazon rather than the 1800. Both need a lot of bracing adding to regain the ridgidity lost from loosing the roof. You will never make the car as stiff without the roof but convertibles are not about out and out performance.

I would want to see eaxctly what has been done in the one for sale and would consider adding more if it looks like it needs it.

What you do have to remember with the early conversions is that the builders were used to convering chassis based cars. The PV convertible was built on the chassis from the van/pickup. Things have moved on a bit since then the methods of bracing have been developed further. The high door line is needed for the ridgidity.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 22:10   #9
ANDREWNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREWNT View Post

Back on with no reserve this time it would appear

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:WNARL:GB:1123
ANDREWNT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDREWNT For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 22:36   #10
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

between 10k - 15k i bet that sells for this time it has a chance of selling on a even playing field , i pitty the sellers fees tho lol