Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Backend noise...

Views : 863

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2008, 09:12   #1
48pop

Default Backend noise...

Hi Folks,

Since I've had my '66 there has always been a noise from the back end....

Difficult to describe but it sounds like something is chattering on the body somewhere in the region of the back axle. Get it up to 15mph and its gone.

I did think it could have been knackered bushes on a shock or similar, but although I have not taken them out, as far as I can see, the bushes look fine.

I rebushed everthing else on the axle a few weeks ago, and I did hope that would cure it.....

So now I'm thinking it could be propshaft UJ......It is a kind of "knuckly, rotatey" kind of noise if you can imagine that! I put the car up on stands last night, started it up and put it in gear. Again difficult to tell but I don't think I heard the noise....Would it be different with the wheels in the air???

The axle does whine on overrun but I can live with that...

Any thoughts?? Or should I just replace the UJ's anyway.

Cheers
Gerry
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 09:51   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

If the car is safely up in the air, you'll need the rear wheels clear to turn, and as much height as possible to allow you to slide under the car. With the GB in neutral you should be able to turn the prop by hand. You can then see how much play there is between each section by checking the play in each UJ. You might be able to hear it too. It's usually fairly obvious if one is on its way out but sometimes only 1 of the 4 ends has play and that isn't so easy to spot. Check them all, lever them about with a screwdriver. Have a look at the centre bearing while you're under there. If any of the propshaft sections have been off since you've had the car, worthwhile checking anyway, make sure that the yokes are exactly as shown in the manual. As the rear part moves up and down with the rear suspension, the relationship of the 2 sections has to be correct to allow the propshaft to "hinge" in the middle.
Give the nipple in the back end of the front prop a few pumps of grease to the spline. This grease point is rarely mentioned and usually forgotten. Hands up those who didn't know it was there................. Type 3 propshaft owners are exempt from this question.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:48   #3
48pop

I supported the car with the stands under the axle........I had no idea there was a grease nipple on the prop......I'll go out and do that tonight....

Any other greasing points I should be aware of? I have to be honest, I've not done any greasing in 10 months ...
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 13:23   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

After they stopped fitting grease nipples to the front suspension and steering joints about '64-'65, probably coincided with the facelift changes, the only one left was the one on the prop. Hardest to get to, so out of sight, out of mind. Worthwhile doing it though. Some UJ's have a screwed plug at the centre of the "cross" that can be exchanged for a grease nipple for topping them up. Not enough clearance to keep the nipple there usually so the screw goes back in afterwards. Again, rarely done.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 20:31   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

I just fitted new UJs to my prop shaft. They came with zerk fittings (grease nipples). When fitted correctly (took a couple of tries on one of the UJs, ahem) there seemed to be enough clearance so that there is no contact possible. The yokes have a relief on one side to allow for this.

Andrew

PS no zerk fitting on the sliding joint for me.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:44   #6
Quarterless
Master Member

I had a similar knocking noise. Turned out to be the handbrake mechanism in the rear drums. If you take the hub off see if the handbrake operating lever makes a knocking noise when you tap it. Mine did so I adjusted a spring clip that holds it in place which sorted it.
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote