Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0 D2 oil grade types

Views : 880

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 12:08   #1
rx6180
Part-timer

Default 2.0 D2 oil grade types

With thanks for the help I received from members of this forum with my previous thread about accessing Sensus and oil level check menus, I have one more question about my newly acquired Cross Country - I'm into day 6.

I have a motor-trade trained neighbour around the same age as me (fifties) and in discussing my new car yesterday he said "Watch what oil you use". He went on to explain Volvo make two types for the 2 litre diesels and you've got to use the right type.

I've made a quick search of the V40 forum and learned that D2 used to designate the Peugeot-Ford 1600 that was in my C30, and which some people think is trouble, but after 2015 (the year of my Cross Country) D2 means a 2.0 litre engine, which in my neighbour's words, is "Pure Volvo".

My slight concern now (thanks to my neighbour) is what oil may have been used to service the car by the car supermarket. I have a rather difficult-to-read photocopy of a full service carried out on the car back in January, but the car appears to have done no more than ten miles between January and me purchasing it in July one week ago!

For peace of mind I had my C30 serviced by a Volvo dealer about four months after I purchased it in 2013, and ended up with a £600 bill and a scratched driver's door for my troubles! I don't really want a repeat of that with an already 'serviced' car I've just newly bought.

So should my neighbour's words of caution about engine oils be heeded, or is he making me worry unnecessarily about what may, or may not have been put in my engine by one of the largest car supermarkets in the country?
rx6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 14:07   #2
steV50

This is the engine oil which should be used as per the handbook:-

0w/20 VCC RBSO-2AE

2.0L D2 is indeed a Volvo built engine. If it were me and I did not know what oil had been used I would take the car to Volvo for an oil change for peace of mind.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 18:30   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steV50 View Post
This is the engine oil which should be used as per the handbook:-

0w/20 VCC RBSO-2AE

2.0L D2 is indeed a Volvo built engine. If it were me and I did not know what oil had been used I would take the car to Volvo for an oil change for peace of mind.
Good advice above as if not you are very likely to have oil level warning messages . It is hard to find this oil other than from a volvo dealer although there are a couple more companies making it now . Also there is a procedure in filling the oil to the correct level .
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:00   #4
rx6180
Part-timer

Yesterday I telephoned a phone number on the photocopy on my car's service sheet, which turned out to be Available Car at Cannock. I bought my car from Available Car in Castle Donington. I asked them if they could tell me what oil had been used in my car, as I'd been told it needed a very specific engine oil. They took my registration number and looked on their computer system, and told me Optima C5 VC 0W-20 is the oil they used, which is this stuff.
https://store.nzmotoroils.com/passen...tima-vc-0w-20/

I figure Volvo don't refine their own engine oils and must surely buy it from somebody else and then put their own brand on it, if you go to a Volvo dealer to buy oil, so seeing as this appears to be the correct grade viscosity-wise I'm feeling comfortable with what was used. I was thinking that Available Car are always keen to push their warranties (which I've not taken out) so they'd be putting themselves at risk of claims if they put the wrong grades of oil in the engines of the cars they sold. The only negative really is that the car was serviced back in January which is when it must have been taken into stock at Cannock, where it remained unsold (I assume) until it was moved to Castle Donington where I bought it two weeks ago in July. During this time only around 40 miles was added to the odometer.
rx6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 11:00   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx6180 View Post
Yesterday I telephoned a phone number on the photocopy on my car's service sheet, which turned out to be Available Car at Cannock. I bought my car from Available Car in Castle Donington. I asked them if they could tell me what oil had been used in my car, as I'd been told it needed a very specific engine oil. They took my registration number and looked on their computer system, and told me Optima C5 VC 0W-20 is the oil they used, which is this stuff.
https://store.nzmotoroils.com/passen...tima-vc-0w-20/

I figure Volvo don't refine their own engine oils and must surely buy it from somebody else and then put their own brand on it, if you go to a Volvo dealer to buy oil, so seeing as this appears to be the correct grade viscosity-wise I'm feeling comfortable with what was used. I was thinking that Available Car are always keen to push their warranties (which I've not taken out) so they'd be putting themselves at risk of claims if they put the wrong grades of oil in the engines of the cars they sold. The only negative really is that the car was serviced back in January which is when it must have been taken into stock at Cannock, where it remained unsold (I assume) until it was moved to Castle Donington where I bought it two weeks ago in July. During this time only around 40 miles was added to the odometer.
That oil does meet volvo's specification which is VCC RBS0-2AE as i described above in my previous post..

The oil was developed in partnership with castrol when researching the new VEA engine before it was launched in 2013 and for several years Castrol were the only suppliers of this unique oil and obviously supply volvo parts dept . Several more oil manufacturers are now producing this oil . TOTAL were the first outside manufacturer to make this oil grade ...
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 14:00   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

RBSO-2AE is based on C5, C5 wont hurt it, just that RBS0-2AE has a few more stringent parameters required above C5.
In terms of them getting the wrong oil for the wrong D2, they havent put the PSA oil grade in, so dont worry, its the right grade of 0w20 so its not going to harm anything.
You are best to use RBS0-2AE though in future (from a big brand) and getting it serviced earlier than scheduled is advised especially as its not great quality oil.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote