Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I think I've been ripped off!!!

Views : 773

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2017, 19:59   #1
Shoz

Default I think I've been ripped off!!!

Dear All

I could really do with some advice.

I have a 04 plate xc90 auto. I have just put it in for MOT, and it failed as hand/foot brake wasn't working properly. OK says me, fair comment. Although I had been previously told it wasn't a failure as it couldn't be tested properly due to it being auto and awd. I don't know I am not a mechanic.

I was quite happy to get it fixed, it obviously needed fixing, mot failure or not.

The guy said that the original version wasn't designed to adjust the brake, and would have to fit an attachment that would allow adjustment, to allow brakes to work. He would have to fit the new attachment and new shoes, which would require stripping down brakes and discs on both sides, to do the work and would charge £163 inclusive of vat, parts and labour.

OK I says, crack on lets get it done.

Now here's the thing. After I got it back, complete with MOT certificate. I went off quite happily on my busy day. I decided to actually check to see if it worked, never used it before. Absolutely nothing!!!! Not even the warning sound it used to give when brake had been left on.

I thought, ok maybe a minor oversight or some other issue, I'll call them the next day to sort it out. Later that day, would you believe it, I get a flat in my rear tyre, I go to change it and have difficulty removing the wheel after the nuts were removed. This would suggest that the wheel has not been removed for some time.

I went to a different garage to get the flat fixed, and asked them to advise if any work had been done. In their opinion, discs and caliper had not even been touched.

OK I've waffled enough, here are my questions:-

1. Was it an MOT failure.
2. Was he telling the truth about the adjuster that wasn't in the original design.
3. If so, and he fitted this thing, would he have to remove the callipers and discs.
4. If he's telling me porkies and has ripped me off, how can I get some form or redress, and more importantly get him reported so he doesn't do it again.

I would really appreciate some response. Thanks in advance.
Shoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 20:38   #2
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi

Firstly I'm not too sure about the additional item you had fitted (or not) or if it is catered for under the MOT, however if work is carried out by a garage and charged for then there must be a record of it on a job sheet with the garage for any parts obtained and fitted (this should also be reflected in your invoice for the work being done) if you can prove that you have been charged for work done that was not carried out then you can contact trading standards or perhaps even VOSA as I think they deal with MOT related stuff.

Any work done to the braking system that is not actually carried out sets alarm bells ringing, what if next time round the garage is supposed to fit discs and pads or do a fluid change charges for it then a few miles down the road, well you get the picture.

Certainly one to keep an eye on.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustytoba For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2017, 21:18   #3
owyn
Premier Member

If they are anything like the V70 of that era (I think they were) the adjustment was with a 10mm nut at the brake lever.
The previous model had adjusters in the disk which some people fitted for better performance but wasn't necessary to work.
If the brake wasn't working the pads could have been shot (they are known for delamination) or the cables could be seized.

A working handbrake is required for the MOT but if it wasn't working then the work suggested wouldn't have fixed it.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2017, 21:42   #4
Shoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoba View Post
Hi

Firstly I'm not too sure about the additional item you had fitted (or not) or if it is catered for under the MOT, however if work is carried out by a garage and charged for then there must be a record of it on a job sheet with the garage for any parts obtained and fitted (this should also be reflected in your invoice for the work being done) if you can prove that you have been charged for work done that was not carried out then you can contact trading standards or perhaps even VOSA as I think they deal with MOT related stuff.

Any work done to the braking system that is not actually carried out sets alarm bells ringing, what if next time round the garage is supposed to fit discs and pads or do a fluid change charges for it then a few miles down the road, well you get the picture.

Certainly one to keep an eye on.

Scott
Thanks for that, my point exactly.
Shoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 20:40   #5
john850kershaw

Default Parking Brake

Hi parking brake not working is an MOT failure, they can do this on a rolling road with the ignition off or they can use a decelormeter, there is no adjustment inside the rear disc's it is done by expanding the cable on the passenger side console area.
John
john850kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john850kershaw For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2017, 21:36   #6
dingov70
Master Member

MOT tester to the front ( Deep breath )

Any 4 wheel drive vehicle that is actively 4WD is not to be tested on a roller brake tester , due to the possibilty of drive train damage .

In this case a decelerometer is installed to the passenger footwell and the brake results submitted

For a passenger car before 1st Sept 2010 an efficiency of 50% or greater is a pass & parking brake of 16% or greater is a pass

as for the cable expander Read on !

https://mot-testing.i-env.net/docume...4s03000501.htm

3.5 Mechanical Brake Components

It is acceptable to fit cable expanders to reduce maladjustment.

I will also note that i have achieved 20%+ efficiency readings for handbrakes with decelerometers with the vehicle still able to move , at this point it becomes pass & advise
Old May 14th, 2017, 23:09   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Place I go to has a plate brake tester which is an alternative to roller tester and therefore is suitable for AWD. Bit scary watching the tester accelerate across the workshop towards the wall before slamming the anchors on!
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:

Tags
brakes xc90 help, cowboy garages, mot test failure advisory, ripped off