Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

End of diesel Volvos.

Views : 2470

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2017, 10:01   #11
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

How does a thread about Volvo's decision to end diesel development end up as a discussion about housing ?

If you want to save the planet, then nuclear power is the only solution.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:05   #12
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
How does a thread about Volvo's decision to end diesel development end up as a discussion about housing ?

If you want to save the planet, then nuclear power is the only solution.

Jon.
The planet will always be there, if you want to save the human race then do something about the population. We wouldn't need all these new houses and power capacity if there was a lot less of us.
Old May 19th, 2017, 23:36   #13
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
The planet will always be there, if you want to save the human race then do something about the population. We wouldn't need all these new houses and power capacity if there was a lot less of us.
I agree. The planet will always be there but will it be inhabitable in the not too near future by more than just cockroaches? I doubt it very much, not unless homo sapiens curb their population and habits!

Coincidentally, today I put a V70 D5 owner in touch with my Dad in Wales, who wants to return to Volvos! He defected to BMW but the only advantage he has found over his 850 is the mpg and I figured he'd be little affected by diesel ownership down in rural Wales at the moment. The V70 D5 owner is being offered silly trade in prices in Oxfordshire despite it being a pristine, very low mileage, full service history car

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe the price of diesel will go through the roof in the UK in the near future, one way governments could drive all the diesels into the scrap heap?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:17   #14
Munro83

http://www.railway-technology.com/fe...-emit-4807131/

Interesting read, if diesels are on the way out then cars should be down the priority list
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:44   #15
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
The planet will always be, Gaia hypothesis suggests that if we abuse her, then she will eliminate us. This hypothesis also proposes that the Earth is a dynamic system that maintains the planet as a fit environment for life - Earth therefore viewed as an organism with self-regulatory functions.

That's a big intellectual idea.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; May 20th, 2017 at 08:53. Reason: typo
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:47   #16
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
http://www.railway-technology.com/fe...-emit-4807131/

Interesting read, if diesels are on the way out then cars should be down the priority list
Perhaps you should write to the CEO of Volvo and suggest that he is misguided - even copy the letter to Geely and they may give you the opportunity to interview for a product development role at Volvo.

What a thought, and here's a link to a Reuters article - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...-idUSKCN18D0Q7

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; May 20th, 2017 at 08:57. Reason: addition
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:58   #17
Munro83

Quote:
Perhaps you should write to the CEO of Volvo and suggest that he is misguided - even copy the letter to Geely and they may give you the opportunity to interview for a product development role at Volvo.

What a thought.

Jon.
Out of curiosity why can't you reply without being a dick? Did you not get hugged enough as a child or something? Or - I'm guessing- you got told from day 1 that your amazing and super special and your opinion is far more important than everyone else's?

I'm just saying that this diesel issue has to be well planned and prioritised IF there is going to be a reduction if production
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Munro83 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:43   #18
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
Out of curiosity why can't you reply without being a dick? Did you not get hugged enough as a child or something? Or - I'm guessing- you got told from day 1 that your amazing and super special and your opinion is far more important than everyone else's?

I'm just saying that this diesel issue has to be well planned and prioritised IF there is going to be a reduction if production
You've said nothing apart from what you think is an insult. Here's a rhetorical question do you really think that this diesel issue hasn't been thought through at the highest level in the car companies. You seem to have a few followers who are equally unable to make a qualitative contribution to what could have been an interesting debate.

We had an nonsensical opinion on another (now closed) thread about Volkswagen...I continue to be amazed at the lack of informed opinion - I'm clearly very naive in thinking that members of a car forum would be interested in this subject.

My opinion isn't more important than anyone else's, but I read no informed opinions from anyone else on this subject: and remember this thread was started simply to inform about a strategic announcement by Volvo.

I deeply regret starting the thread, the announcement was interesting - to me - and I was a dick for thinking forum members would be interested too.

Jon.
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:43   #19
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

By informed opinion you seem to mean the same as your opinion - you consider anyone who doesn't hold your view to be uninformed which is ignorant in the extreme.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2017, 13:33   #20
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:

What a thought, and here's a link to a Reuters article - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...-idUSKCN18D0Q7

Jon.
What an ignorant post!!
Just my opinion and I hope they don't close the thread because of it .

Last edited by volvo145; May 20th, 2017 at 13:37.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post: