Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 - no power when kick down

Views : 11046

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 07:42   #51
NorthantsPete

So im half way through the forte treatment and shell vpower.

major limp this morning, had to stop twice. Only when i turned off for 5 mins did it work again.
After that i got it into triptronic and revved through the range and it seemed ok but still quite lumpy.

its starting to feel a bit MAF sensory but i took the maff off and it made no difference 5 months ago so im going to try fuel filter change next. Also considerign having a peek at the egr pipes (not taking off as its ab*tch on this engine)

frustrating eh.. i bet my injectors are spotless after all this revving and additives!
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 15:22   #52
NorthantsPete

Filled up with Shell Standard diesel and a squirt of ecomax (a copy) and I must say it runs a lot quieter than on premium. Maybe its more lubricating.

limp mode this morning but managed, to almost come out of it mid drive which is different.

Fuel filter arrived so Ill fit that and feed back, but might stick to shell diesel alternating with regular eco stuff and vpower as the car like them both
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 13:12   #53
NorthantsPete

Hmm, oook. So no limp mode at the usual '1/4 tank' mark. Engien sounds less clattery on this stuff.

No limp mode all day despite cruising (normally easiest way to replicate)

Next fillup another shell ecodiesel fill and a squirt of additive and Ill let you know if its improved
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:53   #54
NorthantsPete

ok so 3 tanks on it hasnt happened since.

What I did:

Forte treatment with vpower.
Then a tank of vpower
Then a tank of bp ultimate

as the problem was still happening,

I went for Shell regular diesel (real diesel not gas stuff)
Added a shot ofMillers ecomax

been doing this for three tanks and no reoccurrence

maybe the cars dont like vpower/bp, but do like some additive on branded fuel

That or the forte benefit was delayed
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 11:22   #55
NorthantsPete

DAMN!

Spoke too soon - problem came back

So, back to the vpower.

Maybe its clearing it down and gave me some le-way and then built up again

OR maybe its unrealted.

Hunt continues....

I should really check out the egr condition and change the fuel filter
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 16:02   #56
V70Zig
Master Member

Wink

I might have missed something reading through your thread......but...

1) Have you had diagnostics done with Vida Dice ?
2) The garage you took it to....can there equipment read specific volvo codes ?

If the answer is no or not sure, then my advice would be to either get Vida Dice on it or take it to a garage has the ability to read codes.

All the additives that you've tried and premium fuel costs add up.....
Makes no sense....you could have taken it to a main dealer..............

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 08:11   #57
NorthantsPete

STOP THE CLOCKS

Ive found the solution.

It was the additives.

The problem was getting really bad.. .after almost a year of trying different additives, premium fuels, regular 'every tank' and hard hitting additives, so-on, the only thing i could run was Vpower.... until vpower recently also stopped working too (mpg was terrible as well on V).

After running yet another additive as a last dtich attempt through my tank (BG244) i then filled up with vpower and within 8 miles, like clockwork, limp mode with no lights on the dash, feeling as if the maf sensor was knackered (on a petrol car), that foot down splutter, no hill climb power, no power at all. No racing, reviing, italien tune up would suffice, not even my usual "stop the car for 5 mins then race" worked anymore. The car had had it.

I then heard someone say to me "mine goes into limp mode with vpower"... I thought, why not, worth a try, cant be true as vpower and the like are superior, and bp is normal fuel plus additivezs, vpower is liquid gas with additves, lets just try with what it was designed for, good quality but common diesel. No additives.

First tank, no limp. Second, no limp, usual uplhill struggle to work when limp occures? - nope. I drive another 350 miles, no limp, another 400 miles, still not one limp, torque is back, MPG up to 44 from 32. Has the ecu been companesating for the vpower and additives for so long and finally gave up last week? I will never know. What I do know is the car is back.
Was it the bg244 that cleared something? I dont want to try vpower to find out!

Ladies and gents, we have a winner. Vpower and additves are not always the best option. Now I think about it, thats all I used in the hire car which did the same thing (s80 D5), it never occured to me it would be worse off on Vpower. When the garage took the car back under warranty they couldnt find a problem, maybe they used cheap diesel and so, had no issue "We've been driving it for 2 weeks now weve not had one limp mode".

But not once did I run for long without any additives, i either had ecomax in the tank (delayed reaction) or a mjaor cleaner, or vpower. I never ran it for long with normal diesel thinking the fuel was evil.

Live and learn...

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Jan 25th, 2019 at 08:19.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 09:49   #58
Si Click

The only times I have had the restricted power mode on my 2007 Gen 3 D5 is when the oil level has crept above 75% full. I understand that the software has been modified to put the car into restricted mode as a warning.
Have you checked the oil is not higher than 75% of full?

For what it is worth I have never had an issue just using supermarket fuel and have never added anything. 190K miles and purring nicely. The electrics are another issue.
Si Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 10:48   #59
Tatsfield
Premier Member

+1 on cheap supermarket diesel. I have heard all sorts of frightening stories about using the stuff and that you get what you pay for and that top brands deliver the best results and that supermarket fuel can damage the engine. Well I don't believe it. I think it all comes from the one occasion when a supplier to Tesco screwed up the fuel quality and Tesco had to compensate drivers for ruined engines. I'm sure they won't allow that to happen again and I feel that the D5 engine is a "go anywhere" piece of kit that can cope with simple unsophisticated fuel specs. I very rarely use anything else and never notice any difference if I do.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:03   #60
NorthantsPete

Yep, Im on same thinking, it should run on melted cheese and nut oil.

I do think the higher octane stuff it struggles with however and these additives do raise the cetane levels.

engine oil ok, I DID have an issue when i overfilled and the dash went mental, but that was resolved.

On that,maybe the oil is frothing up and causing alarm... or could these super fuels/additives be making their way into my fuel causing sensor issues?