Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1992 B230F Temperature Gauge Sender

Views : 754

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2019, 11:39   #1
AlexO

Default 1992 B230F Temperature Gauge Sender

Chaps,

My temperature gauge ceased working a while ago and I can't seem to source a replacement that fits. I can find generic replacements but they all seem to be too long or have too many threads so they don't sit flush with the head/block when tight and then don't work. As ever, the internet is providing a great mix of confusing information on this so could somebody please:

A) Confirm that the temperature guage sender is the single wire sensor under the intake manifold under intake runners 2/3 so I know I'm changing the right sensor

B) The part number for this part so I can go hunting. It's for a 1992 B230F if this makes any difference.

Apologies if this is a duplication of effort but I've been researching this for quite some time with no luck.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 11:53   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
Chaps,

My temperature gauge ceased working a while ago and I can't seem to source a replacement that fits. I can find generic replacements but they all seem to be too long or have too many threads so they don't sit flush with the head/block when tight and then don't work. As ever, the internet is providing a great mix of confusing information on this so could somebody please:

A) Confirm that the temperature guage sender is the single wire sensor under the intake manifold under intake runners 2/3 so I know I'm changing the right sensor

B) The part number for this part so I can go hunting. It's for a 1992 B230F if this makes any difference.

Apologies if this is a duplication of effort but I've been researching this for quite some time with no luck.

Thanks,

Alex

Are you sure it is the gauge ? try earthing the wire that goes on the sender , the gauge should go right up .

Yes it is the single terminal sender .

Have you tried the dealer ? Part number 460191
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:28   #3
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Are you sure it is the gauge ? try earthing the wire that goes on the sender , the gauge should go right up .

Yes it is the single terminal sender .

Have you tried the dealer ? Part number 460191
Haven't tried that clan, it's a very good idea though! Also havent tried the dealer because I couldn't find the part number however, with your PM, that shouldn't be a problem any longer (a google of the part number looks exactly like what I've got, at last!)
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 21:40   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Try putting your Reg No in here to find your part. (Where it says "change")
https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/engine...5hp-1986-1993/
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 27th, 2019 at 21:46.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 00:11   #5
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Alex - do you use FRF Swansea at all (Volvo dealer)? Recommended to me by a certain Essex 240 driver (innit) and used ever since. Point is that they will get the right part by reg or by chassis #. Mike in Parts is very helpful when it comes to our older 240s

Your description of the item also sounds correct btw
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 14:20   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

https://www.partsmonster.co.uk/volvo...or-19287-p.asp
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 18:06   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
That isn't a volvo one , and volvo ones do not use a rubber O ring to seal , I think the dealer is the only place you can guarantee to get the correct one .
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 10:56   #8
AlexO

Thanks for all the input chaps.

As mentioned, the volvo part certainly doesn't seem to use a rubber O-ring, however the other mentioned senders are too long/have too many threads to fit in the block. As a bit of research I've ordered one with an O-ring that certainly looks identical to what I've got so I'll try and fit then report back.

Wish my luck!

Alex
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 11:20   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
Thanks for all the input chaps.

As mentioned, the volvo part certainly doesn't seem to use a rubber O-ring, however the other mentioned senders are too long/have too many threads to fit in the block. As a bit of research I've ordered one with an O-ring that certainly looks identical to what I've got so I'll try and fit then report back.

Wish my luck!

Alex
Just get one from volvo and have done with it ... :-)
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 02:20   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Just get one from volvo and have done with it ... :-)

That is always a good starting point in my opinion and in my little experience so far.

I do feel some people automatically look for a non-Volvo part first?

In general. The item from a dealer is likely to be correct. For example, it has been said Volvo wiper blades are suited to the rather stronger than usual spring strength of Volvo wiper arms, giving a better wipe.

The price is often good and can sometimes work out cheaper than an alternative.

One needs to be realistic. Different items from different sources. Some items are even only available from other suppliers. And there have been criticisms of quality of some genuine parts nowadays.

And then again some parts are only available from Volvo dealers. And some top quality is only available from Volvo dealers.

If you find a helpful Volvo dealer parts department, use them loyally and in my experience you will be looked after. And if 240 friendly Volvo dealers are not supported by 240 owners, we will lose them as being unviable.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: