Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Views : 856

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 22:18   #1
mickmo

Default newbie

Hello ive just bought a 96 850 tdi se saloon it has fsh but no mention in the book about the cam belt being changed does anybody know the change interval please .
ps i believe its the audi 2.5 engine i take they have good reliability ?
thanks ..
mickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 22:20   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:48   #3
jor
VOC 20573

No personal experience, so can't comment on reliability directly Mick, though there do not appear to be a vast number of D5354 gripes reported here, those that are tend to be of the 'interesting' variety, so I hope you have a good 'un. There is one on the consequences of a snapped belt by Double Trouble, which was on a badly maintained example however. Apparently there are two belts and sometimes one gets missed out. Anyway, if your car was serviced by volvo there should be a sheet with the service items ticked, if it was done elsewhere it would be worth finding out from the garage or the previous owner exactly what was done and when. Your register keeper has posted a 'how to' article in the technical section (tho' I can't seem to be able to access it at the moment) which may come in handy for you.

john
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 19:08   #4
mickmo

Default cam belt

thanks for that john .
mickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 22:27   #5
Gazmo

Hi welcome to the site i spoke to another member outnumbered a week or so ago about my v70 tdi which i think has the same engine as you have and he suggested changing the timing belt every 60000 along with the water pump, you can get the belt alone for about £15 and the waterpump for £25 from german and swedish although you are supposed to change the tensioners and the diesel pump belt as well which puts the cost up,my local volvo dealer suggested 90000 for the belts which i think is a little high,its up to you
Gazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 16:03   #6
richnait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmo View Post
Hello ive just bought a 96 850 tdi se saloon it has fsh but no mention in the book about the cam belt being changed does anybody know the change interval please .
ps i believe its the audi 2.5 engine i take they have good reliability ?
thanks ..
Hi there just to let you know i bought an 850 tdi 96 model with full sevice history belt changed about 2 months before i got it so i thought i would wait about 3 and a half months before i changed it but no the cambelt went before i had time to do it
so my advise to you is to change it now cos mine is still not running and still costing me money to repair
hope this helps
richnait is offline   Reply With Quote