Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 - Off Road

Views : 3560

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 21:11   #1
Celticxc60

Default XC60 - Off Road

Today I have been usng my XC60 for the first time off road. I have been acting as an Official on the Rallye Sunseeker in the Bournemeouth area and my duties involved running the Safety aspects of one of the Special Stages in the Forests.

I have to say the car performed well above expectations, good traction(at slow and reasonably fast speeds on the Stage tracks and the ride good also. Track surfaces varied from good to very soft and well rutted and WET.

I have traded down on my 4x4 from a Range Rover and I am so far finding the xc60 just as able as the RR and "dare I say it" better on the road and just as comfortable.

So all in all I am well pleased. Hope nobody minds my sharing this!
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celticxc60 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 21:21   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Got to ask - what tyres have you got on your XC60?

I will keep an eye out for you as I drive through Farnham going to work - have still only seen one XC60 in this area after almost 5 months!
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 22:17   #3
mu71rd

So glad to hear that!

It has been one of my worries that the car is just too soft, so that's really cheered me up.

Presumably, though, you also are familiar with how to properly drive offroad, which is where most people with complaints about soft-roaders come unstuck.

You didn't feel the lack of diff lock at all then? I'm personally hoping that using hill descent mode will simulate some kind of diff lock mode (going by how the Volvo marketing people say it makes driving/pulling away on soft surfaces easier).
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 06:43   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd View Post
So glad to hear that!

You didn't feel the lack of diff lock at all then? I'm personally hoping that using hill descent mode will simulate some kind of diff lock mode (going by how the Volvo marketing people say it makes driving/pulling away on soft surfaces easier).
Have to say that the hill decent mode was no use when trying to get traction on a very slight incline during the recent snow episodes. The snow packed up in front and then the wheels started to slip. which is what difflock would help to overcome - I hope it is better on soft ground.

It did work well coming down a steeper hill though
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 09:34   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

the hill decent ( and ascent by the way) should be left to its own devices and dont touch the accelerator , but if there is ice then nothing will work :-)

there is a form of diff lock , the traction is split between the two axle wheels , the one brake is applied to the slipping wheel which transfers the drive to the other side , this happens many times a second so effectivly is the same as a diff lock ..

Did andy burton do the rally? Saw him on the wydean the other week , awesome sound , it has to be the countries most exciting rally car ...
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 15:36   #6
Celticxc60

Tyres are Pirrelli PZERO ROSSO.
Andy was 2nd overall in a very tight contest between Perez, DODDS and BURTON.
Dodds 1st, Burton 2nd and Perez 3rd.
Event was very wet and a lot tighter than last year as the Friday night waterfront stage had been dropped.

Have seen a Black xc60 around Farnham, Mine is Inscription Metallic Silver with a Personal plate.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 15:41   #7
Celticxc60

Forgot to say I think I have the experience, 25years MIlitary driving, plus a lot of motor sport incl xc. Also if I might say so the common mistake made by many drivers is the right foot is on the heavy side and keep the speed right down in tricky situations.

Would also recommend to anyone one of the LandRover experience days. I was very surprised at the amount I had forgotten and the how beneificial I found the day.
Their message was "To keep control keep the speed down".