Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the top 10 problems with the 440/460 models?

Views : 8822

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2010, 16:16   #21
B20F
Master Member

The reararches have a design fault. The inner and outer part are spotwelded, wetness and mud creeps in between it and the rust starts at the welding points. The spotweldings are protected by just an anti-rust coating, the zink protection had to be removed before the welding is done. If the owners don't renew the anti-rust coating regularly, rust takes over.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 16:23   #22
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20F View Post
The reararches have a design fault. The inner and outer part are spotwelded, wetness and mud creeps in between it and the rust starts at the welding points. The spotweldings are protected by just an anti-rust coating, the zink protection had to be removed before the welding is done. If the owners don't renew the anti-rust coating regularly, rust takes over.
Thank you.

So it's something which can be protected against if the protection is commenced from new.

I guess I must make sure I've a magnet with me when I go to look at one.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 19:26   #23
B20F
Master Member

You should also check the point where the doorsill meets the rearwheelarch while you're on your knees magneting the arches!
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 07:00   #24
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

Yesterday i changed the front stabilizer bushes... because i got a knock sound which i don't know from were it comes.
I thought that this will be a 15 minutes job, but turned to be about 4 hours full of "fun".
The fact is, that there is no space and room to reach those bushes... at list on turbo models. I barely managed to stop my mechanic from dismantling my brake pumps to reach the left bush... and finally we hardly managed to reach that left bush from a water drainage hole (were the windshield wipers motor is located).
Another thing i noticed:
I think that somehow/sometime those bushes were exchanged in design, because looking for hints on how to deal with the problem, I noticed that vadis instructions are showing something else (a different design part).
Also, i think that this bush should have a different position, regarding his design. Maybe, Volvo changed this bush but didn't change the fitting on the body.

Sorry for this long post but parts that are hard to reach/exchange, is definitely a top 10 problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front stabilizer bush.jpg (71.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg actual part.jpg (26.5 KB, 8 views)
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:52   #25
nomashedswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20F View Post
I am lucky enough to have a 460 with no corrosion whatsoever in the rear arches. The arches are religiously hosed out and brushed every week, and so far all appears well. I would like to try to preserve them in this condition, and would like some advice/ opinions on any further preventative measures. I am not a fan of underseal - have seen too many problems caused by damp getting underneath - and wondered whether a good coat of Hammerite would be effective ?
nomashedswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 16:41   #26
B20F
Master Member

Hammerite is good stuff, but for the surface only. It can't penetrate inbetween the sandwiched plates. For that purpose you should use a good anti-rust product that has good penetrating qualities such as Tectyl ML, dinitrol, waxoil, RX5, RX10. My personal favorite is Dinitrol. You can use it also for protection of the insides of the chassis, door sills, doors etc. It has a very high viscosity and reaches every nook and cranny. Apply plentifull till it drips out of every corner of the car. It's a dirty job, but worth your while!
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 19:18   #27
ericgardener9

Default my earlier post

Hi all, regarding my earlier post which I posted something like, "the volvo 440's biggest problem was actually being built in the first place"

I realise that there may be a few who have jumped on since my post and have poited out there may have been error in the brashness of my ways.

Well not really - we are on a thread listing the top 10 problems these cars have, irony perhaps? I'm posting what the thread title says.

I have a 440auto and it's ok it goes from A to B I fill it up with petrol and I use a fair degree of hope - which seems to have paid off so far.

It's surprisingly good in the snow ( my theory is auto box - heavier, more weight over front wheels)

But as a car in terms of quality and reliability it leaves a lot to be desired, I had a honda auto before this and there is no comparison.

The volvo just has one thing after another just go wrong, now the latest thing is yes....clunking and a chudd when changing gear i suspect a bush or a mount or something worse has developed under the bonnet.

I refuse to spend any more money on it, it's just a money pit.

what the hell is that auxiallary electric water pump all about?? I took that out and plummbed it straight through without that stupid T piece in the rad top hose. car works fine - did the car ever need that ? ...no.

Day running lights?? battery draining crap - disconnected those and everything ok. Did it need any of that?? .....no

Stupid loud seat bealt warning light, TICK TOCK TICK TOCK.....jeeze. disconnected that everything ok.

I have a point here folks - I speak truth and sometimes thats hard to swallow if you spent another £400 on your volvo this month.

I will never spend another pence on mine I will drive it till it literally falls apart and they get it towed away - it it's a patch on my old honda but somehow in a moment of madness I parted with cash for this thing....never again.
ericgardener9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 13:20   #28
harry89

Default My experience with the 440

Nice topic. Good (or not) to see that other people have comparable problems.

- Problems with my 440 2.0 gl (1993)
Had to clean up my bougies regularly. For some reason 1 of the 4 (random) cilinders shutted down. After cleaning bougies problem was solved. probably some flaps were leaking in the motor....
- at the end the exhaust broke because of to much rust. -Beside primair problems the interior became old. Soundbox plastic died, belt holder plastic died.

When the exhaust broke off, the car went to his last owner. I think he used it in a autocross or something like it.

- Problems with my 440 2.0gl (1994)
Some water leaking to the rear windows/rubbers.
None untill winter drops in. Start motor is asking to much power of the battery and is not starting. (a second battery did the job, but this is not a perm solution) I will fix a new startmotor soon and i believe that i can use the car for at least another year.

------
About driving a Volvo 440 nowadays
It's a big car for a small amount of money.
Problem is that they are getting old and not everyone is lucky that the 440 keeps on driving. Good thing about this, is that there are no big computers in the car so you can fix stuff youreself.

I still like it !!!!!
harry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harry89 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 14:32   #29
ericgardener9

Default Curiosly

Dare I say this but as a car I hate it and like it simultaneosly. I just think these cars left the factory 80% of the car they should have been. I suspect the bean counters got in and shaved everything they could off the car and we ended up with the things we are driving today.

It has an old car slightly oppulent feel to the ride and the best thing is you can "potter around" unashamedly.

Unlike a fidgety stiff sprung new car which whcih doesn't seem to have any feel to it.

It reminds me of a temperamental woman you meet when you're 21 and can't ever quite understand what makes her tick - you're never sure whether this week she'll love you or be leaving you for someone else, and then possibly back with you the next week.

You spend money and time liberally and still the very quandary you ask yourself is an artful juxtaposition in itself - what do I do next?
ericgardener9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 17:39   #30
Smugtugboat

@nomashedswede

I use ACF 50 to protect my motorbike from rust and i can not recomend this stuff enough my bikes been through 3 wet gritty winters and still the chrome and unpainted parts are rust free, have a look on ebay or something. This stuff is used by the US navy to stop jets getting rusty whilst at sea on aircraft carriers.

Also a problems i have had with my 440 are the boot leaks through the roof and flooded my rear light cluster and gave me a wet carpet in the boot, Also the strip on the roof has peeled and it just looks tacky. And my rear drivers side door has rusted from the inside out so check the seals on the doors.
Smugtugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smugtugboat For This Useful Post: