Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R cuts out when fuel level in the tank drops

Views : 162

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 14:58   #1
Robert Brunton

Default V70R cuts out when fuel level in the tank drops

Hi this is a new thread linked to a long standing issue with my petrol 2003 V70R Estate (B5254T4) which has been cutting out. Its been with three different garages so far but with no cure. Its had a new pump, FPS and a replacement PEM all to no avail so far. Previously it had been thought that it was cutting out at high revs but I am now 99% certain it happens when the fuel drops to around a quarter full in the tank. When the tank is full it runs like a dream but after running it for a week or so the problems re-occur as the fuel level drops. It first starts missing a beat then gradually gets worse and worse till it either goes into limp mode or just dies completely (thats scary!). I have seen a diagram of the saddle tank and whats going on in there looks mind blowing (to me at least). The question is can anybody help me with sorting this problem or does (as I suspect) the whole tank need to be replaced?
Robert Brunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 19:28   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

if its similar to the tank on the d5 v70 it should pump over to stop this happening you will need to do some investigation as to why its not functioning its possible the pick up is not positioned in the tank correctly
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 18:36   #3
Robert Brunton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
if its similar to the tank on the d5 v70 it should pump over to stop this happening you will need to do some investigation as to why its not functioning its possible the pick up is not positioned in the tank correctly
THanks for info. Do you know where I can get some technical info about the tank and the pick up? For example is this unit part of the tank itself or the pump or sender unit. Im in the dark as you can see from my response. Any help much appreciated.
Robert Brunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 21:15   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

there will be 2 removable panels under the rear seat area to access the fuel related components all of which are removable with the tank in situ there will be info available on line it might be worth replacing the fuel filter just to rule out any possibility of this being a factor of the problem.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote