Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sludge in dipstick but none under cap ?

Views : 1857

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2015, 12:54   #1
damov70

Default Sludge in dipstick but none under cap ?

Hi
I have recently purchased a 98 v40 1.8 & have a few questions.
Whilst checking the oil level after doing an oil &filter change a few days previous, I noticed this white creamy sludge on the dipstick although none under the oil cap. Do I need to drop the sump on this or is it something else ? The v70 I had, never had this problem and I ran her up to almost 300k miles.
Secondly I have quite a lot of water in the spare wheel area, I replaced the rubber around the boot but it still appears, where is this coming from and how do I fix?

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Damien
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 14:54   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Question

I would contact the seller and try and get my money back, because although the water in the wheel well might just be the rear door seal or something simple, cream on the dipstick just after an oil change is probably a head gasket failure. The fact it happened so quickly after an oil change indicates it is a serious one and that means fitting a new HG and checking to see if the main bearings or rings have already been damaged, even before looking to see if the head was overheated enough to warp it.

If you can't get your money back, then consider selling it for spares or finding a good used engine. A used engine will often cost less than a full HG job if you shop around.

Does the engine have GDI or Volvo on the top cover, cos the GDI is not too popular and is probably not worth fixing if the HG has gone ??

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 16:06   #3
damov70

It has Volvo on the plastic cover, just wandering are you sure its head gasket failure as having just driven home there is actually very little now on the dipstick ? There is no smoke from exhaust or lacking in power. Having searched through this forum I was wondering could it be a "pcv" problem as there are no oil leaks anywhere ??
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 16:22   #4
dmiller

I don't know if these engines are the same but my old corsa would get the white mayo sludge on the dipstick if it had sat for a while and did some short journeys with out warning up, a good run would sort it out usually.

I always thought it was some kind of condensation that usually evaporated away when the engine warmed up.

Skyship your on fire today mate :-)

David.
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 16:49   #5
damov70

Thanks for that, it doesn't make sense to me as I checked everything before buying and all was as it should be, I had to drive about 120miles back home and there was nothing either. Checked her a few days later and the sludge(Mayo) appeared. Did an engine flush changed oil & filter which seemed to have done the trick, yet 2 days later it was back again ????
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 17:22   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by damov70 View Post
Thanks for that, it doesn't make sense to me as I checked everything before buying and all was as it should be, I had to drive about 120miles back home and there was nothing either. Checked her a few days later and the sludge(Mayo) appeared. Did an engine flush changed oil & filter which seemed to have done the trick, yet 2 days later it was back again ????
Mayo under the oil filler cap can be caused by short tripping in damp conditions and it should go away after a good run, BUT if it's in the sump that's a different story and any traces of emulsified oil cause a big, sometimes terminal increase in bearing and ring wear.

Anti freeze causes ten times more harm in oil contamination terms than water, so it is possible if the coolant does not contain a lot of it that the water will evapourate on longer runs.
A blocked CCV valve won't cause this type of issue, BUT I would take a look at the oil filler cap O ring, because that can cause moisture to enter the crank case.

Has this engine got a K&N filter and is it missing the plastic engine underguards ??
In damp conditions a K&N that is mounted in a bad location can suck water or mud spray in and some of that will get into the oil.

Is the coolant level changing and can you confirm that the mayo(sludge) you have seen is coffee cream coloured ?? If it's just dark brown, that might be normal sludge!

If it was my car, then I would just dump the oil & filter (Just use something cheap, in case it's heading for the breakers) again and see if the mayo traces in the oil return, although it would be good to get the cooling system pressure checked (You could also try one of those test kits).

A 20 liter drum of Mannol 5/40 Acea A3/B4 is real cheap on Fleabay and you might need at least half of that to get the sludge out of the engine. Dropping the sump pan does help.

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 6th, 2015 at 17:35.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 17:31   #7
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by damov70 View Post
I had to drive about 120miles back home and there was nothing either. Checked her a few days later and the sludge(Mayo) appeared.
Did the coolant level drop? if you are losing coolant it makes the possibility of an HG failure more likely, but general opinion is that isnt a common problem with these engines unless seriously abused.

Ages ago I had a weird case where I topped up a fully-synth sumpfull with semi-synth oil and had emulsion appear the day after, but it was gone after a week and never recurred.. I put that down to some weird chemical interplay between two different oils.
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 17:32   #8
Blue 8
Premier Member

If you've not got water / oil in the header tank or sludge under the filler cap don't panic just recheck it when.your up the running temperature its most likely just condensation build up.

Water in your wheel well could be caused by a blocked drainage hole, I believe there is one in each corner of the boot shut rear lip check these are clear run a small amount of water down each and you should see it pour onto the road

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy

Last edited by Blue 8; Mar 6th, 2015 at 17:36.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue 8 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 17:47   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
Did the coolant level drop? if you are losing coolant it makes the possibility of an HG failure more likely, but general opinion is that isnt a common problem with these engines unless seriously abused.

Ages ago I had a weird case where I topped up a fully-synth sumpfull with semi-synth oil and had emulsion appear the day after, but it was gone after a week and never recurred.. I put that down to some weird chemical interplay between two different oils.
Yep, I'm curious about what the coolant level is doing, although your comment about mixing oils is interesting, as any oil that is either Acea or API rated should mix OK. A trace of mayo under the filler cap can be normal in winter if you short trip in damp conditions, BUT not on the dipstick!

Not wishing to be too negative, but the only time I've seen mayo in the oil, the engine or turbo was already damaged.

Old Mar 6th, 2015, 17:53   #10
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Yep, I'm curious about what the coolant level is doing, although your comment about mixing oils is interesting, as any oil that is either Acea or API rated should mix OK. A trace of mayo under the filler cap can be normal in winter if you short trip in damp conditions, BUT not on the dipstick!

Not wishing to be too negative, but the only time I've seen mayo in the oil, the engine or turbo was already damaged.
Breaking my own rule by replying to you.. again.. but

I had an instant charge of mayo on the dipstick caused by mixing a Halfords 10w40 semi-synth with a Castrol 5w30 fully synth. It formed in a single day over a distance of less than 10 miles, it completely disappeared inside a week over about 250 miles, and it never recurred

maybe a fluke but it counters the point that dipstick mayo is always a head gasket.