Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sludge in dipstick but none under cap ?

Views : 1827

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2015, 22:22   #21
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
These engines are notorious for mayo in the dipstick tube. The tube is exposed on the front of the engine and suffers from condensation particularly on short journeys. My 2.0lt phase1 suffered during the winter as I only ran short journeys to work and back. Periodically I removed the dipstick tube and pushed a piece of rag wrapped round a piece of wire through to clean it out. The engine never suffered any head gasket failure or goo under the filler cap. Oil was changed ever 5-7000mls and was still in good condition when scrapped at 370,000mls. Only scrapped due to bodywork needed.

Water in spare wheel well most likely coming in around rear light gaskets.
Where is the dipstick on a 1.8 ?? I must have checked a few thousand petrol engine dipsticks in my time and I've often seen a trace of mayo under the oil filler cap that evaporates, but real mayo in the oil is serious. One good right boot session and the turbo bearings will suffer. It will make short work of a VVT unit as well.

Minor HG leaks on high time engines are very common and you can live with some IF the oil is changed often enough AND the anti freeze content of the coolant kept as low as possible. I can remember some cases where the engine was sludged out or the dipstick seal defective, which caused mayo just inside the entry point, although those were SUV types used in the wet a lot and their Ford V6 blocks were well worn.
If an engine has a turbo it does tend to fry off fuel contamination and evaporate water from the oil fairly quickly. The 2.0 probably runs lower oil temps than the 1.8.
The OP needs to send a picture of his dipstick for all to see!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 6th, 2015 at 22:30.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 23:17   #22
danielm85948

Quote:
Originally Posted by damov70 View Post
It has Volvo on the plastic cover, just wandering are you sure its head gasket failure as having just driven home there is actually very little now on the dipstick ? There is no smoke from exhaust or lacking in power. Having searched through this forum I was wondering could it be a "pcv" problem as there are no oil leaks anywhere ??
just put an engine flush into the oil filler cap to flush the engine out then drain it after running it for ten min.then do a oil and filter change .the last owner may have run into a flood .
danielm85948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 07:57   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm85948 View Post
just put an engine flush into the oil filler cap to flush the engine out then drain it after running it for ten min.then do a oil and filter change .the last owner may have run into a flood .
I think the OP said he had already done just that in his second post:

Did an engine flush changed oil & filter which seemed to have done the trick, yet 2 days later it was back again ????

That's why I asked if the coolant level was changing, as we do get a number of HG problems reported, but I've never read a post reporting mayo as a routine matter in this forum.

I know it's damp in Ireland, but not so damp it forms emulsified oil in 2 days. There are other possible causes of the mayo, like a defective thermostat combined with short tripping and badbly worn rings allowing blowby related steam into the sump, BUT they are very rare.

There is one additional possiblity and that is the engine was involved in a major mayo forming incident just before it was sold (Like some clown putting water in the oil fill) and it formed a lot of mayo just above the normal sump oil level which was then washed down when the oil was changed.
I've seen that happen with a Ford V8 in a van, because the screen wash and oil filler caps are right next to each other and the half cut driver was just trying to top up the washer bottle. That engine survived after 4 oil changes because the oil level was checked before the next trip.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 7th, 2015 at 08:00.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote