Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car functionality.

Views : 3619

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:26   #101
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Other manufacturers use same gearbox but specify service intervals, Volvo dropped the ball with their advice.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:28   #102
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Other manufacturers use same gearbox but specify service intervals, Volvo dropped the ball with their advice.
Interesting, what do other manufacturers (particularly g/box) recommend?
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:31   #103
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

60 000 miles from top of my head (or was it kilometres?)
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:54   #104
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Yes..
Its a shame Volvo doesn`t make anything small, isn`t it?
C30 is pleasing, but my limited experience of these newer minis is they are the best fun small car, and the blown 1.5d BMW triple is said to be a stonking engine. I don't know if we will get car or not but pending test drive, am very impressed with space and interior quality.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 13:20   #105
I Feel Old

We had a Mini Cooper S back in 2002, bloody thirsty and encouraged you to drive like a looney. Great fun though.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 14:01   #106
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
We had a Mini Cooper S back in 2002, bloody thirsty and encouraged you to drive like a looney. Great fun though.
One am looking at is the newer shape f56 model and a base spec mini one with 40k miles on it. I do like the idea of it to be fair, would love a cooper s but need to think fuel costs as am self employed and sold a fair few miles
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 14:18   #107
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Remains to see how many still wants to maintain their cars themselves..

Some things can be done no matter what. Almost no matter what. That's brakes, bulbs, oil..

Some will need Vida. And already folks driving cars newer than 2014 are virtually cut off from it (of course there is that option of going to the stealer, paying enough to secure mortgage, and still not know what was actually read/changed/updated)...

Progress or regress?

Cannot be regress, doesn't fit word definition as there's no prior situation like that.

So maybe in different words:

Improvement?

Nice and comfy offer of leasing brand new car for few years, then changing for new one..

Is one even allowed to change oil himself? Technically there's no car ownership. Technically to use different bulbs would require written permission..

What if one would like to remap? Change audio unit?

With owned car, even if it was bought "lacking"- it can be upgraded by owner, even if its only stereo. Or grom unit..

Leased? " take what you're given or f.. off?"

Progress=improvement?

I'll try to only spectate this one

Last edited by ThomasG; Jan 15th, 2019 at 14:20.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 15:17   #108
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
I'll try to only spectate this one
Aye, right!

It's change!

The tendency is to move away from ownership, leasing/PCP is the beginning. Presently the big advantage for manufacturers is they can hold their RRP. Sure they offer incentives, but that's no where near the discounts available if buying.

Owning itself is a costly business. It doesn't make financial sense to have such significant amounts tied up in something that spends 95%(?) of its time sat at the door not being used.

Ideally, one would have use of a car when needed and just pay for the use make of it. With the full automation of cars I think this is likely to be the way it goes, if cars can get themselves around it will be easy to call one from a local 'depot', no need to have it at the door. I think only having automated cars on the road is the only way to make the system work effectively. Having automation and human drivers mixing will be more problematic.

Yes there are folks that run old 2003 bangers and maintain them themselves , however the new system will negate the need for that with calling a car being more cost effective.

How you transition is a good question, no doubt it will start in the cities with human drivers being banned and then rolled out.

Where does that leave the enthusiast who enjoys working on old cars, will there still be room to have classic cars as a hobby?

What impact will pooled cars have for the industry and jobs as the number of cars becomes a fraction of those on the road?
What about the implications for tax generation through VED, VAT and Duty?
What about the road network, will it shrink? Will the conditions be better as the roads shouldn't take such a hammering?
What about commercial vehicles and the associated industries?
What about the finance companies that currently provide the wherewithal?
What about the future of the oil industry?

Will you and I will be around to know the answers?

Whether a user can fit a radio, or tinker with the light bulbs is the least of the worries.

What I think we probably do agree on is that there is going to be change in transport akin to going from horses and carts to cars, or to railways. In other words a complete transformation in how we get around.
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 17:51   #109
green van man
Premier Member

But just as there are some whom still drive horse buggies there will be those whom want to keep their old cars for everyday use.

You have fallen into the capatalists think of ever increasing new. As an alternative let's look at older cars, a 2003 model is NOT a banger if it is a cherished motor, never mind this century I drive a car from the last century, 1994 to be presice and I will contend that my 26 year old landrover is greener than your new volvo.

The pollution cost of any car are in its making, far more by a factor of magnitudes than any it will produce in its lifetime. Therefore the most green cars are the old ones as their production polution is spread over many more years.

Clean air and vehicle pollution is a tax scam, if 100% of vehicles were taken out of London the air quality would improve by 10% according to a published study. By far the biggest polluters are industry aviation and shipping. In my locality on the west coast it would make no difference at all if we had no motorised transport polution as the prevailing westerlies move it on.

For a far more detailed explination of how the people are being misslead by big money I recomend looking on u tube for lectures by Mark Blyth, a man whom cuts through the flannel the money seeks to blindfold us with.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 18:15   #110
I Feel Old

I could respond point by point, Paul, however I'll just say that my post is the way I see it going. I did not say I agree with it, that it will be a good thing, that it will (or will not be) environmentally friendly, I see it as the way transport is changing.

I'd be interested in hearing how you see it, rather than the pros and cons.