Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wood Trim in an XC60

Views : 5197

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 19:38   #11
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO-TO-XC60 View Post
If I had gone for cream leather then it would have been wood trim.
I went for black leather and love the aluminium centre console.

Bit cheeky of Volvo not to discount for downgrade to aluminium from wood on SE lux though !!!
I went for cream interior but found the nordic wood too contrasting with this. On the contrary, I found the aluminium finish to be a better match (steering has steel inlay after all).

Agreed I should have gotten a rebate for 'downgrading'.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 13:06   #12
topcatt

Sorry for the late post on this topic, but to anyone out there who is thinking of going down the Classic/black leather route, then don't be put off by the strength of the Nordic/Aluminium lobby. I opted for the classic wood trim with the off black leather on my XC60 because a) having seen them I didn't really fancy either of the other two options and b) just wanted to be a bit different.

I had never seen a Volvo with the classic trim and, although the web-site helped, it was still a bit of a shot in the dark ordering it. However in real life it looks really good - a nice dark wood with some visible burrs, set off with a polished aluminium edge trim. The dealer described it as 'stunning' when he saw it, and sure enough it always gets a compliment from any first time passengers.
topcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topcatt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 16:26   #13
mas66
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcatt View Post
Sorry for the late post on this topic, but to anyone out there who is thinking of going down the Classic/black leather route, then don't be put off by the strength of the Nordic/Aluminium lobby. I opted for the classic wood trim with the off black leather on my XC60 because a) having seen them I didn't really fancy either of the other two options and b) just wanted to be a bit different.

I had never seen a Volvo with the classic trim and, although the web-site helped, it was still a bit of a shot in the dark ordering it. However in real life it looks really good - a nice dark wood with some visible burrs, set off with a polished aluminium edge trim. The dealer described it as 'stunning' when he saw it, and sure enough it always gets a compliment from any first time passengers.

Have you by chance got a photo of this ?
mas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 16:47   #14
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcatt View Post

Pictures pls..... something never seen!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 19:11   #15
Daleman
Master Member

Default Classic wood

Try this link and scroll down for a good view of the classic wood interior

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...=105345&page=3
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 22:25   #16
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Try this link and scroll down for a good view of the classic wood interior

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...=105345&page=3

Thanks. Seen it before. The flash does not make it justice however.

Anyone else?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 23:23   #17
mas66
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Thanks. Seen it before. The flash does not make it justice however.

Anyone else?
Agree about the flash ..... the classic wood may be a tad too shiny for me .... nice when clean but a great attraction for finger marks

Cheers

Mark
mas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:37   #18
Bonnie-Sunshine

Quote:
Anyone who has observed how genuine wood grain features deteriorate with time would be wary of installing this type of material where it is going to be exposed to sunshine, perhaps not an issue in the UK.

I question what material is Volvo actually utilising in their wood grain feature, is it wood or a synthetic look alike.
It's real wood and very high quality. I initially thought just the aluminium look, but the nordic oak looks so good in the flesh I couldn't go past it. The aluminium, while it looks good, looks a little "down-market".

All natural products (including leather) and most synthetic materials as well, will wear over time. How much, depends on how well the vehicle is looked after. Personally, I would still choose leather seats for instance over cloth or synthetic, even though they may wear or be affected by the sun.

Last edited by Bonnie-Sunshine; Mar 4th, 2010 at 01:43.
Bonnie-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 07:10   #19
Daleman
Master Member

Default To see or not to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Pictures pls..... something never seen!
Sorry if you have seen it but I assumed when one says one hasn’t seen it one hasn’t.

I hadn’t and thought it was fairly nice when I found it.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 08:04   #20
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Sorry if you have seen it but I assumed when one says one hasn’t seen it one hasn’t.

I hadn’t and thought it was fairly nice when I found it.
I should've mentioned that I had seen that pic. But as the flash ruins the "real" colour of it, I were hoping someone would come along and post a pic.

I quite like the idea of wood in a car. Aluminium is soooo cold. The classic wood looks great in the S80 (for example).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's