Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox clearout

Views : 6910

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2015, 21:30   #41
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I did, I'm afraid. I still have the two in unknown condition - neither with TCs, one with lock-up, one without. I'll take a very low offer if you fancy a punt, especially on the one without lock-up. And I'm driving to Bromsgrove on Saturday, so could drop off!

FI lower manifolding...a K-Jet fuel metering unit...? I have one of those available. I don't think I have any spare cam covers.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 10:03   #42
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I did, I'm afraid. I still have the two in unknown condition - neither with TCs, one with lock-up, one without. I'll take a very low offer if you fancy a punt, especially on the one without lock-up. And I'm driving to Bromsgrove on Saturday, so could drop off!

FI lower manifolding...a K-Jet fuel metering unit...? I have one of those available. I don't think I have any spare cam covers.

cheers

James
Thanx James,

I have located a lock up box which is reputed to be in good condition - however from a 4 cyl car ???? I'm assuming the difference [ if any ] will be in the bellhousing area ?

If that is the case, I'll need a V6 bellhousing. Still then in need of a flex plate and converter.

Nearly forgot - also need a g/box slip yoke.

JIC - how much for your lock up box ???? Do you have the shifter mech for it ?

If you hear of any alloy valve covers, please let me know.

Here is the manifold part that I need - how much do you want for it please ?

Hopefully I can convert it into a manifold base for the Eaton M112 blower I want to fit !!!

Last edited by beachcomber550; Oct 14th, 2015 at 10:07. Reason: add request
beachcomber550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:18   #43
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Apologies for the slow reply...not sure how I managed to let this slip through the net!

Ah...V6 stuff...sadly I don't have any of that! The metering unit I have is for a redblock.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day, actually. Reputedly the only difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl AW71s is the bellhousing. That is certainly true of an M46, as my friend put a B230ET one behind his B280 by just swapping the bellhousing.

I'd be happy to let the AW71s go for £25 a piece, given that I'm not sure of their condition. Sadly next-to-nothing of the shifter mechanism is there - essentially just a bare box. Can you be more specific about the slip yoke? A quick Google has shown me a spline-to-half-UJ piece, but I can't picture anything like that in the Volvo drivetrain aside from half of the propshaft.

EDIT: It looks like the "D24" box might actually be an early redblock box, which I have mid-identified...yet (IIRC) there's no speed cable drive...? I'll look at that more closely at some point!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

Last edited by foggyjames; Oct 25th, 2015 at 11:36.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 09:21   #44
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Apologies for the slow reply...not sure how I managed to let this slip through the net!

Ah...V6 stuff...sadly I don't have any of that! The metering unit I have is for a redblock.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day, actually. Reputedly the only difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl AW71s is the bellhousing. That is certainly true of an M46, as my friend put a B230ET one behind his B280 by just swapping the bellhousing.

I'd be happy to let the AW71s go for £25 a piece, given that I'm not sure of their condition. Sadly next-to-nothing of the shifter mechanism is there - essentially just a bare box. Can you be more specific about the slip yoke? A quick Google has shown me a spline-to-half-UJ piece, but I can't picture anything like that in the Volvo drivetrain aside from half of the propshaft.

EDIT: It looks like the "D24" box might actually be an early redblock box, which I have mid-identified...yet (IIRC) there's no speed cable drive...? I'll look at that more closely at some point!

cheers

James
Thanx for the response James - in the interim I've managed to get an AW71 - that was taken from a daily driver. However - no bellhousing !

I'ver been offered a ZF box from a V6, but again nort sure of the bellhousing.

I see the "slip yoke" on the Volvos is actually part of the box and bolted in !! My experience has always been with US boxes, which in the main have a sliding [ slip ] splined yoke.

I WILL need the front half of the Volvo prop at some stage to mate up with the rear diff yoke.
beachcomber550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 15:51   #45
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Understood! It sounds like I don't have anything which will be much use to you, unfortunately. I also didn't know that they offered the ZF22 with the V6 - but I'm no V6 expert, either!

I would've thought that you could swap the bellhousing off a scrap V6 AW, but I'd be careful - we once managed to wreck a box doing that. I'm still not sure how we managed it!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 17:41   #46
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I updated the first post, after a unit tidy-up which saw a few of these boxes dragged out from their hiding places.

***Breaking news*** - the "D24" box, on closer inspection and after further research, is definitely an early M46 with the coarse-splined input shaft and the cable speedo drive. How stupid am I to have missed that?!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 18:46   #47
emtee
Old Fart

Do you have a gearstick for a M47 by any chance? Bought a box to do manual conversion and the stick is missing the outer section chrome/reverse lockout parts. Thanks.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 23:20   #48
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'm afraid I don't

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport