Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Variable Wiper Delay

Views : 1261

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2017, 18:31   #1
canis
Non Fragile

Default Variable Wiper Delay

Does anyone know what bits I'd need to install this?

And (in case I decide to take the Heath Robinson route) where is the wiper delay relay located?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 00:01   #2
druid
V40 Owner

Was that an option on the 40? If so it finding one if not good luck! oh and i hear that the flasher relay is in the footwell with the other fuses
If it's that bad that wipers on intermitant is to often just leave them off and just flick it up when you need a single wipe.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....

Last edited by druid; Jan 18th, 2017 at 00:07. Reason: voices told me to
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 18:20   #3
martin93

You could be in a worse club. Early phase 1's have no 'click up' function, so I have to switch onto intermittent and back off again for a single wipe, which gets very frustrating.

I tried to upgrade to a phase 2 stalk, but then the washers didn't work. Turns out the controls for the washers are part of the CEM on the phase 1.5 and 2. Mine does not have a CEM so it's all in the stalk. Bit of useless info there.
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 18:41   #4
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin93 View Post
You could be in a worse club. Early phase 1's have no 'click up' function, so I have to switch onto intermittent and back off again for a single wipe, which gets very frustrating.

I tried to upgrade to a phase 2 stalk, but then the washers didn't work. Turns out the controls for the washers are part of the CEM on the phase 1.5 and 2. Mine does not have a CEM so it's all in the stalk. Bit of useless info there.
Learn something new every day, I'll forget but still

Old Jan 19th, 2017, 17:30   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I hate the wiper setup on my late p1, hit the washers and the wipers go once and that's it, hit the rear washers and the boot wiper goes about 8 times, it would make infinitely more sense for the front to wipe at least 4 times, like oh I don't know, any other vehicle I have EVER driven haha
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 18:46   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Yes, there's definitely room for improvement, hence my pondering out loud on a forum. The intermittent wipe is just far too frequent far too often, and needs to be slowed down. Having to push the lever up every thirty seconds or so is just annoying. The lever is also rather stiff.

So where is the intermittent relay located? If I knew that, I could find a way to reverse-engineer it and install a delay potentiometer. If I can find a Volvo potentiometer and install it in the usual way, even better. Which implies they already manufacture a relay designed for this purpose, and I was hoping someone would have one lying around in their shed or something.

This feature existed on the V70, I think. Maybe I'll pop over there and ask the V70 folks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 22:30   #7
candor

Certainly one of my dislikes of the car, not that I have many.

I read the manual and it said the frequency of the intermittent wipe depends on the speed the car is going....really now, come on volvo?!?
candor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 00:32   #8
druid
V40 Owner

Why not. the stereo gets louder with speed.

Old Apr 7th, 2018, 15:21   #9
V40T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Yes, there's definitely room for improvement, hence my pondering out loud on a forum. The intermittent wipe is just far too frequent far too often, and needs to be slowed down. Having to push the lever up every thirty seconds or so is just annoying. The lever is also rather stiff.

So where is the intermittent relay located? If I knew that, I could find a way to reverse-engineer it and install a delay potentiometer. If I can find a Volvo potentiometer and install it in the usual way, even better. Which implies they already manufacture a relay designed for this purpose, and I was hoping someone would have one lying around in their shed or something.

This feature existed on the V70, I think. Maybe I'll pop over there and ask the V70 folks.
Wel, the relay is integrated in the stalk...
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 06:55   #10
canis
Non Fragile

This I have since learned. I still want a variable delay though.
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: