Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rse problem

Views : 3131

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 15:20   #11
Danielpsmith
Master Member

It seems it’s not sorted just trying it before I pick the kids up and same again I’m guessing it can’t be much but maybe wrong , it is the factory system fitted and it’s a my2007 model. There are controls on the pillars but to be fair I’ve never used them but maybe will with some headphones for now so at least they can watch a film on long journeys.

I’ve never had to set it to aux for it to work, usually just put a dvd on press the speaker button on the remote and it cuts the radio to the rear speakers and it plays through them but it still cuts the radio but no sound from the dvd, so it maybe the player as I’ve tried a few discs thanks for the replies.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 15:23   #12
Danielpsmith
Master Member

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F312061887082

Hopefully this one works.

Thanks Daniel

Last edited by Danielpsmith; Mar 19th, 2018 at 15:26. Reason: Link not working
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 15:29   #13
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Sorry that was a link as to which remote I have for the system thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 17:18   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
Thanks

And you have a MY2007 model. Let me dive into VIDA now
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:04   #15
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Just been having a mess with it, they came on but went off after plugging headphones in but there is a crackle through the speakers like a wire or something similar not connected properly it reminds me when I had an amp and sub in my nova back in the day, if they weren’t connected properly they would crackle through the speakers thanks again
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:50   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You have a Gen 4.2 RSE. VIDA says:

Generation 4.2
Is equipped a remote-control that has 22 buttons of which one button is red and 21 are white.
Has two 7" screens.

The Gen 4.2 system uses a Rear Audio Separation module (RAS) (16/122) to switch the rear speakers from the normal stereo system to the DVD system
The RAS contains one or two relays that physically switch the speaker wires from audio amp to DVD player.

The RAS was fitted to MY2006 cars, but not in MY2007. Volvo stopped using the RAS in the MY2007 and those cars, like mine, send their audio to the AUX-IN of the stereo system.

I say this based on the wiring diagrams:

MY2007 XC90, including RSE;
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/v...%20Diagram.pdf

MY2006 XC90 LateVersion RSE system only:
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/v...%20Diagram.pdf

I believe you have the RSE referenced by the TP 3993202 wiring diagram
You can further confirm this by identifying the RSE AUX-IN connections:
If the AUX-IN also includes 2 x headphone sockets on the AUX-IN panel, then it is definitely the RSE 2006 LateVersion TP 3993202 system

More from VIDA:
The rear seat entertainment module (RSE) also determines which media source has been linked to the selected screen and forwards the commands in an appropriate protocol. For example, if screen 1 is set for DVD playback and an infrared playback command is detected at screen 1, it will be received, stored and forwarded to the DVD player (16/82) in the DVD player's infrared protocol. A fixed memory stores the instruction language used and current audio and video settings for the respective output channel. These settings are loaded upon start. Volume is automatically set to low level.

The rear audio separation module (RAS) (16/122) is a unit with dual functions. The first is the production of continual infrared signals for the wireless headphones (audio is in headphone mode as standard) via the IR transmitter (16/125). The second is integration with the vehicle's rear speakers (16/17, 16/18 (S80) 16/5, 16/6, 16/57, 16/58 (XC90)) for media selection.

When the unit is in standard mode, audio signals are sent from the front audio system to the rear speakers. When selected using the remote control, the rear audio separation module (RAS) is activated and audio signals from the front audio system are replaced with audio signals from the rear seat entertainment system. In rear seat entertainment system mode, media signals for the right or left screen can be selected via the remote control.

Note! Lowering the volume of the screen will increase the signal/noise ratio of the headphones. Optimal headphone output is obtained by setting screen volume to 75%. Headphone volume can then be set on the headphones themselves.

The RAS is physically mounted in the center console, under the DVD player (on the base of the console I believe, ie: the floor.)

Diagnostics:
When the system is in normal radio mode and the sound is OK through the rear speakers, then you know the speakers are good

When you switch the DVD system to use the rear speakers, and the radio sound switches off, then you know the RAS is properly switching the speakers over

When playing audio from the DVD player, and the audio is present in the wired headphones connected to the DVD player's headphone sockets, then you know the DVD audio is being read and decoded properly, and being amplified to headphone levels properly. The wired headphone signal comes directly from the DVD player, not from the RAS.

When playing audio from the DVD player, and the audio is present in the infrared headphones, then you know the DVD audio is being read and decoded properly and transmitted to the IR transmitter via the RAS

If all of the above is OK, but the sound to the speakers is missing / distorted / only working on one channel, then you likely have a fault with the DVD audio power amp, which looks like it is inside the RAS.

So based on the description and the wiring diagram, the RAS contains the power amplifier to amplify the audio signals up to speaker levels,

If wired headphones are OK, and IR headphones are OK, but the speaker sound is missing or distorted then the audio amplifier inside the RAS has failled.
Solution: repair or replace the RAS.

Repair:
The RAS is likely not very complicated and with the wiring diagram a comptetent radio technician should be able to identify the audio output IC and replace it, if faulty. This is exactly the sort of work I used to do when I worked in the workshop.

Replace:
The RAS is not coded to the vehicle. It is a simple analog device and thus a second hand unit can be purchased and fitted easily without impact on any systems. Look for one with the same part number.

Disclaimer
All of the above was determined by reading VIDA and reading the wiring diagram
I have never in my entire life seen a Gen 4.2 RSE nor a RAS module.
But I know how they work because I can read
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:54   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
Just been having a mess with it, they came on but went off after plugging headphones in but there is a crackle through the speakers like a wire or something similar not connected properly it reminds me when I had an amp and sub in my nova back in the day, if they weren’t connected properly they would crackle through the speakers thanks again
If connecting and disconnecting the wired headphones to the headphone socket can reproduce the problem, then the issue is likely dirty contacts in the headphone sockets. the sockets often contain a switch to tell the system when the headphone connector plug is inserted, the switch may have dirty contacts,

Try spraying some contact cleaner inside the headphone sockets and then inserting / removing the head phone connector whilst still wet with contact cleaner to ensure the cleaner gets over all the mating surfaces.

If it is really bad then you may need a new DVD AUX-IN headphone panel.

And read my other post....
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:58   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

For reference, here are the part numbers for the RAS
CH means chassis number (last 6 digits of VIN)

Exchange ras-box 1.00 EU 36002318
CH -247893, EXCH FOR 8694093, EXCH FOR 8662309

Box, ras-box, G4 1.00 30695400
CH 247894-341345

Box, ras-box, G4 1.00 30695400
CH 341346-, High Performance Sound.

Box, ras-box, G4 1.00 30635825
CH 341346-, Premium Sound.

And the panel:
Panel, ras-box 1.00 30635834
EXECUTIVE / PREMIER, CH 328000-
Automatic gearbox
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 19:23   #19
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Hi Swiss thank you a lot for that detailed description I think mine is on the crossover year and it has one of the last 4.2 generation systems fitted.

It has the headphone sockets by the aux in point, I think it is the ras amp that is doing it as it pops sometimes and crackles so I think it’s on its last legs will have to look at how to remove it and replace or repair it.

I will ring Volvo tomorrow and get a price on a new one if they still have any available but if not I’m sure someone can sort it like you say.

Thanks again for the help

Daniel
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 19:44   #20
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Swiss has showed me where the ras module is located was seeing if anyone has ever removed one I am guessing the cup holders have to come off but not sure any advice welcome if anyone has done it before thanks again.

Last edited by Danielpsmith; Mar 19th, 2018 at 19:47. Reason: Can’t spell (rushing)