Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gaining access to the steering rack

Views : 1953

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2018, 13:03   #11
Peachey169

Hi guys - a little off topic maybe, but defo steering related - have any of you ever had a noise that sounds a bit like a sea lion / seal - I get this on and off

thanks
Peachey169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 14:58   #12
EuanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by binty View Post
I from memory, and someone may be able to confirm this, if yours has speed sensitive steering the wires from the rack connect via a multiplug which is at the side of the scuttle drain tube on the bulkhead, between the brake servo and the drivers side suspension turret.
If you have the wires plugged in you have speed sensitive. (My 2006 D5 SE has speed sensitive steering so I guess yours may have as well).

Notchy steering is quite common, I was thinking of swapping my rack but it cured with a fluid change and flush through (I may have been lucky). If it is brown its bad, green is good, think I may have posted on here about it with pictures a couple of years ago.

I took the decision to spend on 2 litres of genuine Volvo fluid before committing to a rack and am glad I did.

Picture of my bad and good fluid is below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjUmy4prx4

follow this guide for a full fluid change.......

it sorted my very bad 'twitching and tyre scrub', as well as hydraulic knock.
I just checked my fluid and it's a lovely brown colour. Will be flushing tonight.

Funnily enough I looked at that video earlier. Looks good. I also watched this one which seems pretty decent too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6vqOlutTE
EuanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:24   #13
EuanW

Talking

Many thanks to all of you for your help.

I changed the steering fluid and flushed the system last night, and what a difference it's made. Saved me best part of £450!

Steering is still a bit twitchy/notchy, particularly just off centre, but far better than it was, and I can actually turn the wheel at low speeds now!

If anyone has a fix for twitchy/notchy steering then I'd be most appreciative. That and the multitude of other faults popping up in the display, which I'll be posting questions about soon.
EuanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:31   #14
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuanW View Post
Many thanks to all of you for your help.

I changed the steering fluid and flushed the system last night, and what a difference it's made. Saved me best part of £450!

Steering is still a bit twitchy/notchy, particularly just off centre, but far better than it was, and I can actually turn the wheel at low speeds now!

If anyone has a fix for twitchy/notchy steering then I'd be most appreciative. That and the multitude of other faults popping up in the display, which I'll be posting questions about soon.
Sometimes we look for perfection, when correct and good is all we can get.....

There is an adjustment on the rack that can be made to take up some slack...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121019

`Check tyre pressures and tread, low tread can make a large cars steering feel crap, also, get 4 wheel tracking done.

After that, its time to check the tie rods, etc etc.

Last edited by colinbos; Apr 18th, 2018 at 11:35.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 21:30   #15
oragex
Premier Member

To check the lower coupler, see this video at 6:10 . Be very careful with that bolt, see the video description how to torque it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37u_oQ0Q0Gc

For notchy-ness also inspect the tire pressure