Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I change the head unit on my 244?

Views : 1211

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 13:55   #1
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Cool Can I change the head unit on my 244?

Hi all, can I easily change the radio head unit in Thor for a more modern one with a CD player - i'm not trying to 'do up' the car like the boy racers! I just like to listen to my CD's when working on the car and when I start driving it will probably want to listen to CD's aswell?

The reason i'm asking is because i'm not sure about changing the head unit - mine is situated behind the gear lever (old style dash) and there doesn't look to be much room to get the radio out of its slot if you get what I mean??!!! Is this right?

Also, is the wiring the same to plug the head unit straight in or do I need an adaptor of some sort?

also, is the physical size of the face of the radio the same (i.e. I wont have a gap around the sides of the new radio)

Heres a pic of my radio cassette as it is at the mo':

2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 22:53   #2
kev240
Master Member

Thumbs up

Looks like you already have an adaptor plate round the stereo that is in your car at the moment, so there should be no problem with the size for a 'CD' head unit.
It is not an original Volvo head unit fitted in your car, so there may be adaptor leads fitted already, or someone may have made their own connections, you will need to take out the stereo to check this. Adapter leads can be found on e-bay or at Halfords.
Good Luck,
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 22:55   #3
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

The radio will come out easily from there, especially if you select fourth gear. That is already an aftermarket radio. If you are lucky whoever fitted that radio used an adapter and if you are very luck then it will work with whatever you buy. However it is possible that they simply cut the old plug off the wiring and soldered in the present radio. You won't know until you investigate. The hole in the mounting plate should be a standard size and the new head unit should fit. There will even be enough room to get CDs in and out of the radio when in any gear (but only just in 3rd).
If you need to buy an adapter, Halfords can get them in for you. OR else just ask a car-audio place for a PC2-20-4, or buy online eg http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sho...urerZZpageJJ14

HTH,
Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 17:40   #4
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Default Thanks!

Hi, I knew that wasnt the original radio, but can only assume that the Volvo didnt come with one when new. (as most people know my Grandad was the only previous owner) I cant find an original volvo radio in the garage and know for a fact that my Grandad would not have thrown it away or sold it!

Thanks for the help, I will take the present radio out and investigate whet type of plug it has on the back.

Steve

P.S: Kev240 - I see you have stolen my avatar!!! lol
Quote:
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 20:32   #5
kev240
Master Member

Thumbs up

Sorry Steve, have had that avatar for a while, just never got round to loading it up, will look for something else and change it.
Kevin
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 21:05   #6
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Red face no no no!

No no no I didn't mean it like that! It was just a joke!

Sorry about that! Steve
Quote:
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 23:06   #7
guy240glt

Default Good luck

Thought you might be interested in these pictures! And only hope they don't put you off the whole project. I have to add that I have fited a few radios in my time but have never worked on a car with such easy and good access to the harness.
I too have a 240 with the central radio fitted and had a quick look under the dash only last night to see how I might swop the head unit. (I fancy the Sony xPlod with the iPod glove box connection, have fitted one into the family car and am v. impresed. Mighty good value too. <www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-sony-cdx-gt410u_p-22003.htm>).
I had a nasty surprise when I discovered that the din cable and the power leads from the unit appeared to disapear into the immobiliser/alarm unit. Decided that cutting any of these would probably render the car useless until a professional car electrician tut tutted over it and charged me £££s! Later investigation with a can of cold lager in one hand (just realised you're under age - drinking is niether big nor clever but does somehow appear to be a useful tool in all DIY projects) and a torch in the other showed that the leads actually ran into an amp onto which the alarm box had been double sided taped! Big sigh of relief and cause to open a second can of lager. There are various links on the forum (search for '240 radio') about fitting these radios, mine though untouched since new, still didn't exactly match any of the suggested colour codes for the wiring or the Haynes so I am going to have to work my way through the various leads to discover exactly which one does what.
If anyone has any suggestions before I attempt this feat with only a blunt pair of pliers and a can of now warm beer they would be most welcome!
I plan fit some 6x9's into the back doors as I reckon the 240's a big car and needs some big speakers to match. Should keep the kids quiet anyways!
guy240glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 00:06   #8
guy240glt

I'll try again with the pictures!
The pictures show the view after the glove box is removed.
The two connectors that link the radio to the harness.
The back of the radio.
The wires seemingly plugged into the alarm/immobiliser and
what appear to be the wires within the harness that run the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA140153.JPG (151.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PA140148.JPG (154.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PA140146.JPG (162.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PA140144.JPG (152.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PA140141.JPG (153.1 KB, 5 views)
guy240glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 17:56   #9
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Hi, thanks for that! Next time i'm at my Nan's I will pull the radio out of it's hole and investigate what connector it is, then I will have a look at a radio at a motor discount shop near me and get some advice on whether it's already got the needed connector. If so, I will probably be asking for a radio for my xmas box! lol

I have just received some original volvo speakers in the post from Simon Ward this morning as the current ones are not original.

I might, when I get a new radio, get some better speakers (although the same physical size) and put them behind the volvo speaker grilles.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Steve
Quote:
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 20:04   #10
john h
VOC Member

If bigger speakers are fitted, mounting into the rear shelf would be better. Leaves the door panels untouched and the boot acts as a good speaker chamber.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote