Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plate light screw heads all mashed. What do?

Views : 2853

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2016, 15:16   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

On my car they're T-20 torx.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 15:21   #12
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
On my car they're T-20 torx.
Possible these have been replaced at some point. They were absolutely jammed in and so rounded as I say I could only get two out of the three that are still present.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 16:32   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
Possible these have been replaced at some point. They were absolutely jammed in and so rounded as I say I could only get two out of the three that are still present.
Yeah sounds like they're not original.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 17:21   #14
AngryScot

Quote:
Update: I had a go at getting the screws out to replace the bulbs on saturday morning. Turned out they were phillips heads (although very rounded) I could only get one side out due to the screw head problems and one the plastic which holds the bulb hanger inside the cluster had come away (along with the hanger).
They are philips head on my C30 too, one side drilled out easily but the other side is stuck.

Quote:
Additionally, but slightly off topic, does anyone know how to get the bulb & housing from the footwell light out? I just could not see what was keeping it in or how to unclip it. Any info appreciated.
I just popped a flat bladed screwdriver in the side closest to me then twisted it and they popped out.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngryScot For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 17:46   #15
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
They are philips head on my C30 too, one side drilled out easily but the other side is stuck.

I just popped a flat bladed screwdriver in the side closest to me then twisted it and they popped out.
Use as wide a blade as possible to prise then out - minimizes chance of damage to thin plastic/acrylic edges - or use a proper plastic pry set - cheap enough on line and less likely to damage plastic/acrylic as they too are plastic

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 18:06   #16
AngryScot

Having owned two French cars (you'd think I would have learned after the first...) I've got a set of plastic trim tools but I'm also a bit lazy so when they weren't to hand a screwdriver will do. At least with French cars the trim actually wants to come off and does so of its own accord!

As long as you're careful with a screwdriver there shouldn't be much of an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngryScot For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 18:12   #17
warlord0

Drill the heads off. Then when you've removed everything you may be able to get the chuck of the drill to grab the screw, stick it in reverse and out it comes.

Handy if you have a battery drill with a small chuck.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 18:43   #18
ASt85
Premier Member

If no drill is available - using a pair of long nose pliers will often remove stubborn Phillips/hex/star & TRX etc screws - NB often tapping then with a hammer on the driver will often free up damaged threads

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 20:22   #19
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Thanks Gents, Great info there. Currently in meltdown mode cause I can't get my new OEM discs and pads to fit. Amateur mechanic I am not.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 20:01   #20
AngryScot

How does the bulb holder in the passenger side foot well come out? I only did the drivers side initially as the bulb wasn't working when I got the car and found it easier just to replace the whole unit with one from a breakers I got for £1.

The passenger side one has gone now and I've replaced the other interior lights with LEDs so the filament bulbs in the footwell look a bit out of place. I've ordered a "drop in" LED replacement unit off ebay as I'm not nearly dexterous enough to fit the bulb lying in the foot well but looking at the passenger side I'm not sure if it has to be pushed out from the glove box or not.

Tags
c30, led, number plate, screw, screws