Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery going flat, help please.

Views : 1030

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 17:46   #1
Wowbagger

Default Battery going flat, help please.

I have recently bought an XC90 V8 and the battery keeps going flat, sometimes it is OK for a day or two but never for long,the RAC and Volvo recovery guys both said that there is a drain on the battery but the dealer cannot find anything wrong.
Does anybody have any ideas about what it could be and is this a known issue?
My Wife is rapidly getting fed up with having a car that won't start and I am away working abroad so any help would be much appreciated.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 17:50   #2
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

It could just be the battery not holding charge. Take the car to an Auto Electricians and ask them to drain test the car and the battery.
Arctic fox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arctic fox For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 18:06   #3
Wowbagger

Thanks but we were told by the 1st RAC guy that the battery was duff so we bought a new one and that went flat as well so I am fairly confident that it is an issue with the car.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 18:48   #4
adieu
Master Member

Try pulling the alarm siren fuse, or the alarm fuse, just make sure it's somewhere safe

If that doesn't work, a process of elimination pulling different fuses till the battery holds it charge.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 19:04   #5
Wowbagger

Thanks, if I was home I would give that a try but I am not sure the wife will be able to do it. She has just told me that the Volvo garage are going to take it in for a few days next week to see if the battery goes flat again so hopefully they will find something.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 22:32   #6
gramsey438

The best way of doing this yourself is to get a multimeter and place it series with the positive feed on the battery and measure the current bieng drawn with the ignition key removed. From here you can then remove fuses one by one to see what is causing the excessive draw on the battery.
gramsey438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 23:52   #7
Wowbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsey438 View Post
The best way of doing this yourself is to get a multimeter and place it series with the positive feed on the battery and measure the current bieng drawn with the ignition key removed. From here you can then remove fuses one by one to see what is causing the excessive draw on the battery.
Thanks, if it is not sorted out in a couple of weeks when I get home I will give this a try.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 05:06   #8
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

Another option is to make a list of everything that works without the keys in the ignition and post it up. ie headlights, windows etc. Then we could see if anything is out of the ordinary.

A new battery can still fail with the same symptoms, I would be asking the garage what voltage the charging rate was at with say the heated rear screen and blowers on full too.
Arctic fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 16:21   #9
Wowbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic fox View Post
Another option is to make a list of everything that works without the keys in the ignition and post it up. ie headlights, windows etc. Then we could see if anything is out of the ordinary.

A new battery can still fail with the same symptoms, I would be asking the garage what voltage the charging rate was at with say the heated rear screen and blowers on full too.
The car ran OK yesterday but is now totally dead so I suspect that it is an intermittent fault, I have spoken to my wife and she is going to get Volvo assist to come out and start it again. It is booked in with the dealer next Thursday and hopefully they will find the problem.
It is hard for me to do much with it from an oil rig in the gulf of Mexico but I will try these things if it is not fixed by the time I get back.
I am very glad that I left my perfectly reliable Alfa for her to drive and did not leave it in long term parking at the airport as I usually do.