Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 T8 Timer for Charging?

Views : 1443

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2019, 09:37   #1
cthough

Default V90 T8 Timer for Charging?

Hi ,

Newbie here so please forgive if this is not the right place for the question.

I have a V90 T8 on order and please could somebody tell me if there is any way of setting a timer in the car or the VOC app to only allow charging between say midnight and 5 am?

I would like to take advantage of switching to an economy tariff and i would need a timer to be able to do that.

Many thanks

Colin
cthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:46   #2
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthough View Post
Hi ,

Newbie here so please forgive if this is not the right place for the question.

I have a V90 T8 on order and please could somebody tell me if there is any way of setting a timer in the car or the VOC app to only allow charging between say midnight and 5 am?

I would like to take advantage of switching to an economy tariff and i would need a timer to be able to do that.

Many thanks

Colin
Yes there is. You have to add your home location (Home > Battery Charging > Add Location) and then when you select that charge point, you get the option to set Start and End times for your charging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5607.jpg (125.8 KB, 16 views)
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:52   #3
cthough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
Yes there is. You have to add your home location (Home > Battery Charging > Add Location) and then when you select that charge point, you get the option to set Start and End times for your charging.
Hi TimNiceBut,

So am I right in saying I can get home from work and plug in, but it wont start drawing current/charging till the appointed time, and I therefore don't need to buy a charge point with a timer on it?

Any recommendation on a charge point as well ?

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Colin
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:01   #4
Sphinx2000

How long does it take for a full charge? This will determine the time allowed on the economy 7 meter.

E.g. If it takes 12 hours to charge, but your night meter only applicable for 6 hours, then you will need a charger with higher output one so it can be charged within that time frame.

I don't own a t8, but the above is what I would do in that situation.

Does the car allow for quick charging?
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:54   #5
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Hi TimNiceBut,

So am I right in saying I can get home from work and plug in, but it wont start drawing current/charging till the appointed time, and I therefore don't need to buy a charge point with a timer on it?

Any recommendation on a charge point as well ?

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Colin
Colin, no, you don't need a Charge Point with a timer as the VOC App will satisfy your needs.

As to your needs, there are a few variables to consider.

Is your car coming with a standard 3 pin domestic charge cable or have you upgraded to a Type 2 cable? If you're getting a 3 pin plug, you won't need another charge point but you'd need to invest in a Type 2 cable to be able to charge from public charge points.

If you're getting a Type 2 cable, you'll need some point of charge point at home. This could be a 3 pin 2.3kWh (10A) device or a dedicated (16A or more) one.

The 3 pin will charge my XC60 in around 4-4.5 hours, the charge station (I have a 7.2kWh tethered Pod Point) in around 2.75 hours. My car will only charge at 3.6kWh but I got the next one up (the highest you can get on a single phase domestic supply, I think) for a bit of future-proofing.

I also got tethered because otherwise I'd have to stow the cable each time I unplugged it from the car. The downside to this is that if I buy another car, it might use a different connector at the car end, meaning a new cable or an adapter.

So, I have :-

1. A Pod Point tethered cable fixed to my garage with a key on the charge point to isolate the supply.

2. A Type 2 cable in the car for charging from public points.

3. A 3 pin 10A charge point for use when I'm out and about and can take advantage of a domestic supply somewhere.

Your mileage may vary.

I can recommend getting the Pod Point app (iPhone and Android versions available) as many Pod Point charge stations are free to use and you need it to use them. There's also Zap Map which covers almost every charge station in the country, but can't be used to initiate charging. Depending on where you are in the country, other suppliers might offer free or reasonably priced electricity.

Sorry for the length of the missive, but I was on a roll! Any more questions, feel free.
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:00   #6
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
How long does it take for a full charge? This will determine the time allowed on the economy 7 meter.

E.g. If it takes 12 hours to charge, but your night meter only applicable for 6 hours, then you will need a charger with higher output one so it can be charged within that time frame.

I don't own a t8, but the above is what I would do in that situation.

Does the car allow for quick charging?
If the V90 has the same battery as my XC60, it will charge in under 5 hours even when run off the mains at 10A. the newer MY20 models may have a slightly larger battery but even then, 5 hours would probably be enough.

No fast charging on Volvos, unfortunately. The on board charger is limited to something like 3.6kWh, so even my 7.2kWh charge point would take the same time as the 3.6kWh version.

I think Volvo missed a trick here. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has two charge sockets on the car, one for slow and one for fast. I think it can go from empty to full in a little over half an hour using the fast charger..
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:07   #7
MrStevieH

Sorry to steal the post

@TimNiceBut. I have an XC60 T8 on order and as we tow a wobble box I was looking at purchasing a 16amp commando charging cable to take advantage of the 16amp supplied on the campsites. Also, have a commando socket outside the house for the caravan. Assume the VOC app (only been playing with the demo version) has the ability to set a timer for this even with being a third party charging cable?
MrStevieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:23   #8
cthough

Thanks Tim

Great input and I think I will need to get a charger point fitted and change the cable to the Phase 3 type.

Cheers

Colin
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:30   #9
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevieH View Post
Sorry to steal the post

@TimNiceBut. I have an XC60 T8 on order and as we tow a wobble box I was looking at purchasing a 16amp commando charging cable to take advantage of the 16amp supplied on the campsites. Also, have a commando socket outside the house for the caravan. Assume the VOC app (only been playing with the demo version) has the ability to set a timer for this even with being a third party charging cable?
Commando? Is that like the ones builders use (yellow for 110v or buy for 240v)? If your home one is run off the standard 13A domestic ring, you might blow a fuse if the Volvo tries to demand 16A. An alternative is to run a separate 16A rated supply to your commando socket.

I would have to assume that the VOC app would be able to schedule charging for anywhere in your saved locations.

I have three saved locations (you can have 7 I think) and they all offer scheduled charging, although I've only used it at home. The other two are public charge points with which I use my Type 2 cable.
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:37   #10
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Thanks Tim

Great input and I think I will need to get a charger point fitted and change the cable to the Phase 3 type.

Cheers

Colin
Phase 3? Do you mean Mode 3?

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/accesso...ModelYear=2019

The Mode 2 is a 10A charge station, the Mode 3 is a cable for out and about charge stations (and is a £50 "upgrade")!

Tags
charging, timer, twin engine t8