Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start/stop function

Views : 4616

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2020, 17:36   #11
Wispyone

I came the long way home from work today, including around 10 miles on the motorway at a steady 70mph. A total of around 23 miles, and it's still not reset the start/stop. I would have preferred to keep driving but not possible with the lock down etc.
I hope to get out soon and give it a good run to the coast but alas that will have to wait.

Also the only charger I have is motorbike specific so no good for the car

Cheers

Richard
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 17:59   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispyone View Post
I came the long way home from work today, including around 10 miles on the motorway at a steady 70mph. A total of around 23 miles, and it's still not reset the start/stop. I would have preferred to keep driving but not possible with the lock down etc.
I hope to get out soon and give it a good run to the coast but alas that will have to wait.

Also the only charger I have is motorbike specific so no good for the car

Cheers

Richard
Mmmm 10 miles on the motorway should have completed a regeneration process, I think this is now looking like a battery or other problem.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 18:16   #13
Wispyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Mmmm 10 miles on the motorway should have completed a regeneration process, I think this is now looking like a battery or other problem.

Hope it's not a problem ........... I have only had it 2 weeks.

I will probably come home the long way again tomorrow and give it another run
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 18:18   #14
Driver Dave

Both my batteries have been replaced more than once, the problem is still there. Volvo have been involved but still no answer as to why this is such an intermittent system.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 20:12   #15
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Both my batteries have been replaced more than once, the problem is still there. Volvo have been involved but still no answer as to why this is such an intermittent system.
Cos the specified battery is only just adequate.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 22:56   #16
HowOld

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispyone View Post
Hope it's not a problem ........... I have only had it 2 weeks.

I will probably come home the long way again tomorrow and give it another run
I had a new battery fitted today and the start/stop function has now started to tell me the battery temperature is too low. Before it was saying the battery was low and would not work.
I have decided to leave it until this current situation is resolved and normal motoring is restored. I hope its worth it.
HowOld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HowOld For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 23:23   #17
Wispyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowOld View Post
I had a new battery fitted today and the start/stop function has now started to tell me the battery temperature is too low. Before it was saying the battery was low and would not work.
I have decided to leave it until this current situation is resolved and normal motoring is restored. I hope its worth it.

I'm going to wait until I can take the car for a good long run and see if it kicks in again.
I suppose in the grand scheme of things having a start/stop that's not working isn't the end of the world. But it is damn annoying, I had it on my last car, V40, and loved it. If it's fitted, it should work.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 21:37   #18
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Thought I would post this here, as there is a connection re battery charging. Due to the Virus I have laid my car up for a while and we are using the wife’s car as she has been layed off work. To keep the battery charged up I have purchased a Ctek mxs 5.0 charger to leave the car on charge. The charger has a load of modes, one being charge a car with AGM battery which I chose. This goes through a load of stages and finish on stage 7 for 10 days and then stage 8 to trickle. Left in on for 24 hrs and it went to stage 6 and stuck there. Stage 6 should not be used as it’s for the reconditioning of non AGM batteries. Reset a few times and ended up with the same problem . Trolled the internet and basically found that there seems to be 2 types of AGM battery. In fact in the Ctek instructions the car symbol say it will charge some AGM batteries . Found on another forum that someone has spoke to Ctek and they say that if you are not sure which type of AGM battery you have use car symbol only as this charges at a lower voltage than.the AGM mode. Tried charging as a normal battery and it’s now at stage 7 , no problem. Don’t know if any one has used a Ctek and had this problem but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 22:29   #19
Boatie
Master Member

I got my pre registered MY 19 V90 R design at the beginning of March with 24 miles on the clock. It's obviously been standing around for a number of months. Notwithstanding doing 700 miles (mostly motorway) in the first 3 weeks start/stop only worked a few times. It's obviously the battery and I was preparing to do battle with Volvo when 'lockdown' happened and it's not moved since. Lead acid batteries don't like standing around for months without being kept absolutely fully charged. (AGM batteries as fitted to cars are simply lead acid with the electrolyte held in glass matting rather than as a liquid and not magical as some think).
Just scrolled up and read Whiterdesigns comments. One difference between flooded cell (liquid electrolyte) and AGM batteries is the voltage at which they should be held when 'in float' (think long term storage). AGMs are held at a slightly higher voltage, about .5 v higher. Brose the internet and you'll find masses of sometimes conflicting information. The bit Whiterdesign mentions about 2 types of AGM is the internal design of the batteries. A top, top quality AGM of the size fitted to our cars would cost between £400 and £500.

Last edited by Boatie; Apr 2nd, 2020 at 22:40.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:21   #20
Lexman8
Premier Member

I used my Ctek 5.0 in AGM mode the other day to charge the battery. Went though all 7 stages, same as it always does.