Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 v XC60

Views : 5032

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2020, 11:51   #1
TheDufster

Default XC90 v XC60

I've had 4 of the pre-SPA XC90's and 2 of the new SPA ones (all from new, all replaced in under 3 years with new ones). Wanted to go for another (PCP expires in July) but as it stands, my dealer can't get close on pricing for a replacement car (current figures are in excess of £120 per month more than I am paying at the moment).

Whilst I still have some time to work out the figures and maybe get a deal on an XC90, it's got me thinking on downsizing to an XC60. 2 adults, 3 children (aged 16, 13, 11) so the XC90 has served us well. Particularly on holidays and long distance journeys when we have put one child in the 3rd-row and the other two in the outer of the 2nd-row, thereby helping to keep stress levels down as they are apart! Have had 6 or 7 people in the car a few times but could always use our second car for this if push came to shove.

I have read somewhere that the 2nd-row in the XC60 has more room than the XC90, is this correct?

Wondering if I should try and get a higher spec XC60 (over my XC90 Momentum Pro) and get a roof box for when we need the extra space and perhaps put up with having all 3 children in the 2nd-row. I have loved all my XC90's and I do like driving a bigger car.

Any thoughts on what else I would miss (or what I would gain) by swapping to an XC60?

Anyone know what plans there are for a full electric XC60 anytime soon?

Sorry lots of questions but would love to hear thoughts on this as need to make my mind up on what to do over the next few months.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 12:01   #2
xsaab
Master Member

I think the people to ask are the three people you want to travel in the rear seats of the XC60.
When do you expect the eldest to prefer doing their own thing rather than sitting in the back of the XC60.

I have the XC60 and it is just excellent for two people - myself and one passenger. I get a little embarrassed when I ask a third person to squash into the rear seats.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 12:10   #3
TheDufster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
I think the people to ask are the three people you want to travel in the rear seats of the XC60.
When do you expect the eldest to prefer doing their own thing rather than sitting in the back of the XC60.
Ideally want to get down to a dealership to get the whole family to sit in - but can't at the moment due to the restrictions. Might not be too long before our eldest won't be joining us on road-trips, but who knows!?!

I've had a quick look at the pricing and an XC60 Inscription Pro with paint/wheels upgrade, Lounge Pack, Tech Pack, Tinted Windows is £6,700 cheaper than a comparable XC90 Momentum with same packs (which is what I was looking at originally)

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design

Last edited by TheDufster; Apr 30th, 2020 at 12:15.
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 12:18   #4
sammyblackbaron

One thing to consider is the difference in feel of the interiors. Having driven an XC60 and V60cc as loan cars when I am used to a V90cc and XC90, I was surprised at how much of a difference even just the glossy feel of the buttons on the steering wheel/window switches makes to the overall feeling of quality. I have no doubt I would get used to it, but to me, the 90 series cars feel more premium inside than the 60 series.

Having said that, there is a huge price hike too which seems ridiculous if all your gaining is glossy plastic buttons!
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 12:20   #5
TheDufster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron View Post
, but to me, the 90 series cars feel more premium inside than the 60 series.
Interesting thanks. I was hoping the difference between Inscription and Momentum (which I am used to) would make up for that.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 13:01   #6
Dastardly Diesel

If you really need a car like the XC90 the the XC60 won't meet your requirements.

If you simply like the XC90, then the XC60 won't meet your requirements.

Try and get one for a lengthy test (probably all but impossible at the moment), but to my mind the '60 is a superb car but if your needs or wants have been directing you time and again to the '90 the the '60 seems unlikely to cut it for you.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 14:28   #7
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
I have read somewhere that the 2nd-row in the XC60 has more room than the XC90, is this correct?
No way!
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 14:33   #8
TheDufster

I think that it was to do with legroom as there's no pressure from the boot area for the 2 extra seats.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 14:40   #9
Duri13

Not even that. Don't forget that in XC90 you can move the 2nd row and when put all the way back, you can even walk through the leg room, which is never possible in XC60.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 15:16   #10
TheDufster

I is the legroom that is bigger on the XC60 that I had read somewhere. Just checked the specs on the Volvo website

Legroom rear
  • XC60 965mm
  • XC90 940mm

However, most of the other dims are bigger on the XC90

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design