Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo introduces 112mph speed limit on all new models

Views : 3740

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:37   #1
Begonia

Default Volvo introduces 112mph speed limit on all new models

Volvo introduces 112mph speed limit on all new models

Volvo has begun the introduction of a 112mph speed cap for all its cars, with the head of the firm’s Safety Centre saying the move is not about limiting owners, but helping them to be "the best drivers they can possibly be".

All new cars in Europe will be fitted with speed limiters and other mandatory safety devices after 2022 following the approval of a European Transport Safety Council proposal.

According to a report by Evo, new cars will be fitted with a system called Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), which will use GPS data and traffic sign recognition systems to limit the car's engine power, and with it the car's speed.

This has been widely reported recently. I suggest you Copy my thread title and Paste it into, say NewsGoogle.com to then select from various media articles on the topic.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Begonia For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 17:02   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I noticed this earlier when configuring a new XC90 and looking at the technical spec, they are now stating 112mph top speed. But how often would you even take it up to that speed. Not in this country anyway (I hope).
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 18:23   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

I've only taken my XC90s faster whilst in Germany.
Ash gold - 112mph
Electric Silver - 120mph

Only for a few seconds mind just to see what they could do.
Became frightening when the autobahn had only two lanes, and with lots of HGVs in one of them.

I note that the German configurator also states max speed is 180kmh (111.8mph).

Last edited by AB-UK; May 23rd, 2020 at 18:27.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:35   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

It's not about the headline speed, it's about restricting the speed to the applicable speed limit. If you over ride it, fine pops through the letterbox, next is to use the system to track you, or road use pricing. Go for a drive? Bill comes through the letterbox. Thin end of the wedge dressed up by Volvo under the guise of 'safety'.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:49   #5
HDAV
Master Member

There will an over ride or they won’t sell many to plod.... what happens if the gps systems has issues?

The more I think about it the more I’m thinking my current car may well be my last “new” car I think a classic is probably next before self driving electric shuttle pods are the norm......
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 20:08   #6
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Japanese domestic market cars have been restricted to 180 kph (112 mph) for years. One of the first things most dealers do with grey imports is to fix this via the ECU, adjusting the speedo to read in miles rather than km at the same time.
However, it may well be that Volvo use a different method.

It's not just a Geely thing. The European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) has been quite vocal about introducing so-called ‘Intelligent Speed Assistance’ (ISA). Quoting from the RAC: 'The ETSC say that these limiters work by using a “speed sign-recognition camera and/or GPS-linked speed limit data to advise drivers of the current speed limit and automatically limit the speed of the vehicle as needed.”“ISA systems do not automatically apply the brakes, but simply limit engine power preventing the vehicle from accelerating past the current speed limit unless overridden.”
To make the move more popular, the ETSC proposes an on/off switch to be included at first, which would allow the system to be overridden by pushing hard on the accelerator.' All new cars would also be equipped with data loggers to track the system under recommendations from the ETSC.

With new mid-range cars now well above £30,000, it's time to start scouring the used car ads!

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 21:15   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I've only taken my XC90s faster whilst in Germany.
Ash gold - 112mph
Electric Silver - 120mph

Only for a few seconds mind just to see what they could do.
Became frightening when the autobahn had only two lanes, and with lots of HGVs in one of them.

I note that the German configurator also states max speed is 180kmh (111.8mph).
Does the "electric" of the "electric silver" car give you the power for the extra 8mph?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 08:40   #8
James77

I think all road cars should be restricted to 80 mph at least throughout Europe if not the world.
Old May 24th, 2020, 09:17   #9
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
It's not about the headline speed, it's about restricting the speed to the applicable speed limit. If you over ride it, fine pops through the letterbox, next is to use the system to track you, or road use pricing. Go for a drive? Bill comes through the letterbox. Thin end of the wedge dressed up by Volvo under the guise of 'safety'.
Let me guess, you think that 5G is controlling the population too?
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 09:23   #10
Jackysi

I am not buying a car that limits my top speed. If that's so. Volvo is done for me. I admittedly drive over speed limit some times, specially when I'm in rush. When I get to the German Autobahn I drive as fast as the V90 D5 goes, which is around 245kph per speedo. In that regard, I'm not paying 85.000€ for a car that tells me, yo dude, you're not going that fast. But I can do it!

That's like buying BMW M5 with speed limiter set to 160kph. Are you freaking kidding me????