Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or Auto - which do you prefer?

Views : 40315

Replies : 415

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: I prefer the following
Manual 328 44.93%
Automatic 402 55.07%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 19:59   #111
wrenbird

Default Auto all the way!

Hi there Guys & Gals,

Give me an automatic any day...

Have had automatic Volvos ever since my first love affair with a 164 (the beast) which thrashed boy-racers off traffic lights / junctions etc. I naturally progressed to 245 2500 estate (dogs and kiddos) and from there it was 245s all the way until I was introduced to a 760 turbo (fell in love for a second time) which sadly died an electronic death after many happy years together, hence a red 960 caught my eye (because a rally mate said don't even look at the 800 series, they're rubbish), and when Ford got involved I figured Volvo's days were numbered for reliability and I won't be looking to a V series Volvo at all unless someone can convince me they're as good as the old 240 and 700 series.
wrenbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:04   #112
spotlamp

Default Auto for luxury cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
autos every time! although mines a manual!
if youve got a luxury car youve gotta have an auto gearbox!
regards
cavey
Dead right, you sum it up preciely.(spotlamp)
spotlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 15:22   #113
ovlov25
Premier Member

Auto is nice when you're feeling lazy but you can't beat a good manual if your going for a thrash!

Saying that the VW DSG is mighty impressive
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 15:32   #114
cywprof

Manual can be fun, automatic can be boring. In heavy traffic auto may be better. On back roads prefer manual. Type & car size are factors too. In a 4X4 manual works best for me. If on a 5 hour cruise on a freeway, might as well use an automatic. Many new models offer you the choice. Recently I rented a 2008 Dodge Calibre to go to a Car Show 4 hours away. It was equiped with a 6 speed automatic which you could stick shift into each gear or let the car do it. No clutch, ease up on gas compensated for that thrill. The bigger the car the more likely I would prefer an automatic. Unless driving a high power machine. Once drove a 70's Corvette with a 4 speed manual. Think the motor was a 427. The clutch was a challenge. Don't know if it was me or the motor that caused my leg to shake when engaging the clutch. Never felt that I was in control of that orange beast. Whereas had it had an automatic I would have felt more @ ease as I did in a newer Corvette with a 350 fuel injected 3 spd. automatic. Of course now new models have 6 speed auto or manuals. Would love to drive a Porsche 6 speed any model!
My point: depends on the ride & the route.
Bill
cywprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 16:02   #115
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov25 View Post
Auto is nice when you're feeling lazy but you can't beat a good manual if your going for a thrash!

Saying that the VW DSG is mighty impressive
That kind of gearbox is coming to Volvo in the new year for better or for worse ...
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 16:14   #116
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

I've just finished reading a 12 page thread on the Audi TT owners club where people were complaining about failed DSG boxes at really low mileages.

Best avoided until the technology has had time to mature, IMO.

FWIW, I prefer autos these days, just because I got fed up with the wear and tear from heavy clutchs and notchy gearboxes. Now me and Mrs Oilburner both have autos, neither of us want to go back. I just love the relaxed driving, ease of use and smoothness. Not as much fun as a manual, but then how often do you really get chance to have any real fun on such congested roads these days?

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4

Last edited by oilburner; Dec 6th, 2007 at 16:15. Reason: spelling...
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 16:23   #117
ovlov25
Premier Member

Can't comment on the durability of the DSG, it is very impressive to use though. Some of the Tiptronic mercs are nice too, just a pity they rust so badly

Quote:
Would love to drive a Porsche 6 speed any model!
A Porsche manual isn't as slick as you would think, for a really nice gear change try a low mileage Mazda MX-5

Oh, i think the most unforgiving clutch i've ever used was in a 1986 Porsche 911 3.3 Turbo, the one with the 4 speed because Porsche didn't have a 'box to handle the torque! Almost as heavy as the clutch on the Leyland 'Bullnose' Comet truck that my boss owns.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 00:52   #118
cywprof

Sorry to hear that about the Porsche. Have always been impressed with Mazdas, both automatic & standard. Have found most European Import automatics to be a little rough compared to North American models. Most are seamless unless you engage passing gear.
Happy motoring!
Bill
cywprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 17:43   #119
niveaus

I have to say Auto for me......my clutch leg knee is shot so I don't really have a choice.
I driven both.....my smaller cars would have suffered if they had an auto box, you do lose some of the nippiness (is that a word?) But for the realms of my volvo, she doesn't suffer for having an auto box.
niveaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 23:15   #120
UnderPeak

I have always had manuals and was loth to go to an auto. However now that I have got the V70 i really appreciate the smoothness and ease in traffic, but I miss the control I felt I had with the manual - felt that I was driving the car
UnderPeak is offline   Reply With Quote