Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Better mileage for XC90

Views : 1406

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:36   #1
Stonet

Have you ever tried vortex generator in XC90?
Is it worth of trying? Personally I`m quite sceptic for this, I doubt that it gives me 35% saving in mpg`s and increases 20% horses...
In product description there is funny formula :
more air = more power

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vorte...41719592QQrdZ1
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 22:38   #2
gis514

I read about it as well. Waiting to see if anyone has actually used it with good results. Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:20   #3
ROBXC

My 14000 mile 185 BHP manual struggles to do more than 30mpg on long runs! I have spoken to auto owners who get 29mpg! It should do better.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:09   #4
perussell

What fuels are you using? If it's Supermarket fuel this could be having an effect. I have a 163 bhp Auto and easily manage 30 mpg average on the M-way doing a steady 80 mph. I have managed 33+ with 4 adults, dog and luggage in the past on a 300 mile run.
You also need to recognise that you are using 'winter' diesel at the moment which is formulated so as not to wax up in the cold temperatures we are experiencing at present. This does have a slight effect on mileage. I generally expect 1-2 mpg better in the summer like-for-like (i.e. if the AC is off)
I have friends who are managing almost 35 mpg with manual 163 XC90s.
However town driving will soon bring these figures down to the low 20's.
I work for one of the major oil companies and whilst I don't always use 'my' brand of fuel I always use branded fuels and only ever use Supermarkets when I am running on fumes i.e. in an emergency - the 1 or 2p per litre saving at the supermarket is a false economy
Also economy will improve as the engine loosens up - if you have a 185 engine it must still be pretty new, expect at least 5000 miles before you start seeing anything like 'normal' economy
p.s. before anybody starts asking deeply technical questions I work in the lubricants side of the business and do not profess to be any kind of fuels expert!
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:58   #5
Stonet

Thanks Perussel for your very detail answer. I`ve 2,5T -05 AWD automatic 7-seat with 8tmiles. I usually took gas from 7 eleven or EXXONd and very rarely from Walmart...
I use to take 89octain, I heard that 87octain is too low for Volvo even the dealer said that I could use 87. Highway mileage is roughly 23...25mpg.