Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvoguard 1 alarm HELP!!!!

Views : 815

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:00   #1
black t top

Default Volvoguard 1 alarm HELP!!!!

Hi guys, I've read all the threads I can find on this and nobody seems to have had my problem, either that or I've missed it.

Basically the car is a 1994 960, the previous owner died 3 years ago and his wife lost the remote fob. I've got a replacement Volvoguard 1 fob, that's working. Problem is, when I press the function button on the A-Pillar panel, nothing happens. The big red light just keeps flashing away.

It appears that the last owner put the alarm into service mode, before he died.

So......how do I program my new remote with an alarm in service mode.

The Volvoguard 1 manual says to press the remote button twice, then program the new remote, but I don't have the original remote to press twice.

If that makes sense?! Disconnecting the battery makes no difference to the alarm.

Any help greatly appreciated!
black t top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 15:40   #2
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Hmmm,

Service mode should end when you start the car / turn off the iginition.

Check for one of the recent threads on alarm fobs that I was commenting on - I uploaded the VG1 service manual to that thread. From memory there are three slots in the VG1 "brain" where it can remember a different remote code. When you are in remote programming mode, you can toggle between these 3 slots which are indicated by the 3 small LEDs on the pillar. A rapidly blinking LED is a filled slot and a slow blinking LED is an empty slot (or vice versa - I can't remember off hand). You can either overwrite the currently stored code or store a new code in a new slot - up to you. Maximum 3 different codes stored at once.

It's possible of course that the fob you have is in someway defective and that is why the brain isn't seeing the code. Or as I've found you may need to re-tune the brain - see another one of my threads from a few years back - although I wouldn't advise that without having a known working fob first. Try holding the fob right up to the triangle on the A pillar when programming, this may well help if the fob's signal is weak for some reason (batteries!) or the brain is a little de-tuned.

I know a lot of people complain about the VG1 system but I've found it really pretty robust and easy to troubleshoot, probably due to its relative simplicity compared to more modern systems. The one on my car works flawlessly from around 30-40m distance.

Let us know how you get on and good luck!

Edited to add:
"press the remote button twice" I think you've misunderstood, you have to press the button on the triangular unit on the A-pillar not the remote fob. Only time the remote fob comes into it is when you actually need to teach the brain a new code. Otherwise all interaction with the system is done through the A pillar button.

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23

Last edited by James_EG_940; Aug 16th, 2017 at 15:44. Reason: Added PS
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 12:40   #3
black t top

Thanks James, found the thread and downloaded the VG1 service manual.....still doesn't seem to shed much light on it, other than I might be able to reinstate the PIN on the module, to make the system work off the key, which might get it out of its currently stuck mode, then let me program the fob.

The problem seems to be that pressing the button on the triangular panel, doesn't do anything, the red light just keeps flashing away.....3 fast flashes and a quick pause.

Going by the service manual, that flash sequence seems to mean a fault in one of the loops has been detected, but none of the 3 led's are illuminated, to say which loop is at fault.

I'm at a loss......the fob itself is fine, I tried it on one of our friends cars and it programmed fine, locked/unlocked/armed/disarmed ect.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 15:42   #4
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

OK so we can rule out the fob as being at fault which is good.

So three flashes is indeed a fault according to the manual. I'm assuming you had all the doors closed and that all the door / boot switches are working ok? Next step I would take is to confirm all the door and boot/bonnet switches are working ok. You have to have the doors closed to be able to program the alarm.

I'm still reluctant to agree that it's in service mode as the indicator LEDs aren't doing the right sequence for that.

You could always try leaving it disconnected from the battery for a few days to see if that clears anything?

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 10:13   #5
black t top

Hi James,

After reading the manual again, I think you are right, it's not in service mode.

It's flashing the code for a loop fault, but isn't lighting any of the 3 individual led's to indicate which loop is faulty.

I wonder if I unplugged the 210/211 relay for a while if it would reset the system, do you know where about's it is on a 94 car?

The front door switches all seem to work, the overhead light comes on when either front doors are opened, they don't come on when the rear doors are opened.....should they? Can't see any way to check the hood/boot switch, but they look to be in working order?
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 18:55   #6
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

All 4 doors should operate the cabin interior light although if the light isn't stuck permanently on then you should be OK on that front - alarm wise.

There is then a sensor under the bonnet right at the front, sort of on top of the passenger side headlamp. I can't then remember if the tailgate circuit piggybacks off the regular doo switch ( hidden behind the passenger side tailgate hinge on an estate) or whether there is a separate switch inside the boot latch.

There is then also the 3rd circuit which was for glass break or motion sensors. This is usually a small black rectangular thing usually fixed to the windscreen in front of the driver although I've seen it also stuck to the rear quarter glass.

Even if the alarm was in service mode you should still be able to program a new fob or else it would be possible to permanently seal yourself out of the system - which would seem to be quite poorly thought out if it is the case. I've never looked for the 210/211 Relay but supposedly it's behind the glovebox... If so it's only two screws and two nuts to gain access.

Old Aug 21st, 2017, 09:35   #7
black t top

Hi James,

Fixed it! Was the bonnet closed sensor, I unplugged the wiring plug and cleaned the connections. Plugged it back in and pressed the function button on the A-Pillar module and it started to work, each of the 3 led's could be selected, I put ign on, selected a spare slot to program it to and pressed the button on the fob. Turned ignition off, got out the car, pressed the fob again and the doors all locked and the indicators flashed, unlocked fine too!

Huge thank you for all your help, looks to have been a dirty connection on the bonnet sensor not letting the system think it was closed
The Following User Says Thank You to black t top For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 12:06   #8
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Ah, fantastic! It's always so satisfying to solve these things - especially when they're nice and simple.

Happy to have helped, consider retuning the unit if you aren't getting much range out of the fob.

Happy driving!