Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto headlights

Views : 1635

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2017, 11:50   #1
davidjpowell

Default Auto headlights

My headlight switch is one of those things that I rarely touch. It's on Auto and just works... I suspect that is the same for most of us.

Once again I was caught out this week when it came back from the dealers in off. Obviously the dash liIgghts are on all the time, the nav screen I think is on an autosensor. The LED DRL to a decent job of providing an amount of forward lighting.

It was not until I got in the proper dark and realised that once again they were off.

Topped off with the lack of any dash light indicating whether headlights are on or off I do wish they would leave it the way they found it...
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 12:17   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I've had three cars with auto headlights now (VW & Volvo) and none of them had any means of telling the driver if they were on or off which is an omission as it would be useful to know in fog...

We will soon have the first fogs of the Autumn and there will be loads of drivers going around on DRL's and no rear lights....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 16:16   #3
Mick787

Call me different, but I don't use the 'auto' option on lights. I also believe that a lot of the 'aides' that are being put into vehicles are a bad idea. (Standing by for the flack!)
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 16:56   #4
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Call me different, but I don't use the 'auto' option on lights. I also believe that a lot of the 'aides' that are being put into vehicles are a bad idea. (Standing by for the flack!)
Everyone untitled to their own opinion.
I personally love auto headlights, but do agree that they should a dash light to tell if they are on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 19:16   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I set mine to auto when I got in the car 3.5 years ago and I haven't touched the switch since - I know when the headlights are on rather than DRL as I either see the lights reflected back from road signs or the back of an car in front. If I switch on the rear fogs due to road or weather conditions then the front lights come on automatically and switch off when I switch off the rear fogs.

I find that just leaving them to do their thing has worked 100% of the time for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 14:46   #6
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
No flack from me. The more driving 'aides' there are, the less common sense is used in everyday driving.

Well proven by the number of issues with people blindly following their sat-nags and getting stuck by not paying attention to their surroundings or road signs.

Things that reduce physical effort (assisted braking, power steering) = good, things that reduce the need to apply your eyes and brain (where abouts am I? where are the other vehicles in relation to mine?)= bad.

Wont be long before some are unable to park their car without beepers and cameras.

Happy to be a brother in flack.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 19:27   #7
Mick787

Grimble, I think people are becoming too reliant on aides. I can't wait to hear the response by an insurance company to a claim which involves the use of 'self parking' where the driver doesn't touch the steering wheel. Or if one of those forward radar sensors fails. If ever the 'City Safe' aide activates in my car, then I will be mortified. It doesn't take much to see that a lot of people can't park their cars, they have lost the ability to use the image in a door or rear view mirror to park the car within a parking bay at a supermarket etc! I agree with hydraulic braking and power assisted steering but some of those hydraulic systems are now being replaced by electronic systems and a lot of 'feel' is being lost.
I really miss the rear view mirror dipping switch.
Rain sensing wipers, what is the point?
It's all just more to go wrong!
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 21:06   #8
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
I really miss the rear view mirror dipping switch.
It's all just more to go wrong!
I really miss the foot operated dip switch. Never had one fail on me.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 21:37   #9
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
I really miss the foot operated dip switch. Never had one fail on me.
Auto dipping marvelous and the auto shading is terrific once you've had it well worth the extra only thing I would not have is heated windscreen real PITA when the sun is low.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 19:24   #10
mfresh
Nice person

Damn drivers aids! These mirrors mean people are losing the ability to see backwards. And don't get me started on steering wheels. What's wrong with stopping the car, getting out and lifting the front until its pointing the way you want to go. As for windscreen wipers - just one more thing to go wrong. Much better to apply a starchy potato to the windscreen to keep the rain running off before you embark on a journey....