Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 Broken Alt Belt

Views : 30580

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:44   #1
Killametre

Default XC60 D5 Broken Alt Belt

Just wondering if anyone has had any early Alternator belt failures our D5 12mths old with 18K on the clock went for a tow truck ride today due to the alternator belt snaping and the EHPS stopped working making the car undrivable

cheers Andrew
Killametre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:51   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

This is the first case that I have seen reported on here
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:02   #3
Killametre

Thanks yeah I had not seen anything about it before I think it must have been a freak occurence I did not believe it myself,I have been a mechanic 20yrs never seen it happen before when everthing is new and good???

cheers Andrew
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 18:29   #4
Gaskit

My alternator belt failed at 24,000 miles when my car was 19 months old. It left me stranded in London on one of the snowiest nights of the year, although the AA were fantastic and somehow got me home. I was told by the Volvo dealer that the tensioning pulley had seized, causing the belt to fail.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 19:12   #5
darbs
XC60 Owner

to gaskit's point, a broken belt may be symptomatic of another issue. i've not had a broken belt on the xc60 but on my megane years ago the belt went. it was due to a seized water pump.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 19:27   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

It is unlikely the actual belt failed , the tensioner has been known to be troublesome , on its 2nd recall now for this ,and that version of the D5 is on its 3rd different type did you have any recalls on it ?
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 00:30   #7
Killametre

ours is a Jan 11 built MY2011.5 and we have had no recalls yet?
cheers Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is unlikely the actual belt failed , the tensioner has been known to be troublesome , on its 2nd recall now for this ,and that version of the D5 is on its 3rd different type did you have any recalls on it ?
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 19:58   #8
copperknob

yes clan correct its due to poly v belt tensioner on all d5' they have been recalled 3 times ,,,

now what might have happed is part of the belt might have went behind timming cover and either broke timming belt or make it jump ,,or you might be so lucky that it hasnt disturbed timming at all ..
its really luck i guess have had many many cars in with poly v belt snapped and knackered engine and other hand just a poly v belt and new modifyed tensioner

good luck keep us poste d

Last edited by copperknob; Jun 23rd, 2012 at 19:58. Reason: edit
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 08:00   #9
copperknob

apparently the new modifyed tensioner for poly v-belt is being recalled this is 4th time dont why they cant get it right ,have a 61 plate xc60 with broen belt head damaged ,tensioners are hopeless
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:39   #10
PeteB1
VOC Member

Just seen this 3 month old thread, I've replaced my D5 aux belt/tensioner & idler pulleys this weekend following a cambelt/tensioner/idler change a couple of weeks ago. The old pulleys looked/sounded fine, no roughness at all. I hope I've not created a potential fail point soon where there wasn't necessarily one before .

Is there any way of checking, other than removing the aux belt cover every 10k miles or so to check for noisy running or early stage belt fragmentation?

The aux tensioner and idler pulleys were supplied complete with the bracket containing the tensioner spring so the whole lot was replaced, not just the pulleys.