Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 Broken Alt Belt

Views : 30594

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:40   #11
Crockers
Premier Member

Is this a problem on all D5's irrespective of car or is it just a XC60 problem ?
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 15:42   #12
thanosgr
Thanos

Last winter my dealer call me to change the alternator belt and the tension wheel under warranty, because there was a recall from Volvo for all 5 cylinder diesel engines...
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 15:05   #13
kid volvo

Default belt breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
This is the first case that I have seen reported on here
ive seen earlier posts by copperknob advising this issue but dont think you believed him ,i think he's best placed suspect he's a technician as he's very knowledgable when it comes to volvo's,ive re read them he call's them ()tilt belt ,guess this is new name for what id call fan belt
kid volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 16:48   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid volvo View Post
ive seen earlier posts by copperknob advising this issue but dont think you believed him ,i think he's best placed suspect he's a technician as he's very knowledgable when it comes to volvo's,ive re read them he call's them ()tilt belt ,guess this is new name for what id call fan belt
The 'report' by copperknob came after this thread was started and whilst he says that he has undertaken dozens there are still no reports from any failures by users on this forum. It is also interesting that the other Volvo employed person who uses this site has not posted saying that he is aware of a large number of failures either. Nor have their been people coming forward as a result of this thread detailing their failures.

In fact, a search of the internet fails to find the reports of mass failure indicated by copperknob - whatever you choose to call it, tilt belt, v belt, cam belt, alternator belt, cooling belt...
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 07:29   #15
kid volvo

well its not cam belt as thats timing belt hes referring to poly v belt which runs power steering,altanator etc i was in my dealler ship and asked the receptionist if they have had any problems or deallings and alarmingly yes there was a big problem something to do with tensioner so there you are thats from horses mouth hope copperknob come in on this one
kid volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:32   #16
Mountain Goat

Hey Kid Volvo. You and copperknob are not related are you? Is this the start of the copperknob fan club? :-)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:19   #17
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Hey Kid Volvo. You and copperknob are not related are you? Is this the start of the copperknob fan club? :-)
I think it that is the same person - same location, same style, same content.

And still nothing substantiated on these 'failures'
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:55   #18
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid volvo View Post
well its not cam belt as thats timing belt hes referring to poly v belt which runs power steering,altanator etc i was in my dealler ship and asked the receptionist if they have had any problems or deallings and alarmingly yes there was a big problem something to do with tensioner so there you are thats from horses mouth hope copperknob come in on this one
There have been 3 recalls for this problem, out of the total of 19 for the XC60.

See 8, 18,19 on http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...hes/search.asp
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 18:28   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
There have been 3 recalls for this problem, out of the total of 19 for the XC60.

See 8, 18,19 on http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...hes/search.asp
The recalls caught the vast majority of faults before they became a real problem .. The service schedule now calls for them to be replaced again at 36000 mile or 54000 mile service depending on year ..
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 19:30   #20
copperknob

and we are still currently doing the recall cant remember if its 3rd or 4th new tensioner
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote