Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 Broken Alt Belt

Views : 30602

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2017, 02:25   #71
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Maybe you have the time to do this and travel miles , but dealing with anything Volvo, whether dealers of customer services has broken me. It shouldnt happen, but personal help with all issues with Volvo cars and support has been dire. Now others may well have found a diamond dealer and sadly money rules rather than personal customer satisfaction from my perspective, which is why I hope this car works for another couple of years before I bin Volvos for good. Ironically as a child, my parents always swore by Volvos. We had one of the first 340's , 244's, 245's 740's etc and were all fine. I cant say the same about my family . I wont advocate what a great car they are to my kids. Shame really, but something has majorly happened . Using rubbish Ford parts ? hiding from defects such as windscreens ? modifying parts as they were inferior and charging the customer the earth to fix , rather than hands up, we made a mess. Customer services are the rudest bunch of morons on the automotive planet. Hang phones on you, ignore emails . I am not a stroppy sod, but a average customer. No one from Volvo Uk read this stuff, because they know the truth about these issues .
All main dealers of all brands are franchises. You are complaining about a garage not Volvo. No garage is better than the mechanic who works on your car. Volvo have no association with Ford since 2010. Not sure what parts you are complaining about. You seem to have escalated a complaint about a garage and not knowing that your fan belt should have been changed into something else. If you had taken the time to come on the forum and ask for advice on servicing you would have been given information to have avoided the fan belt breaking.

If you choose to ignore the advice you have been given that is up to you but don't blame Volvo who have no way of knowing you have a problem unless you tell them. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but you have to be realistic.

Roy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 08:30   #72
mordred1973

my AUX belt and tentioner were changed as part of the 54,000 mile/3 year service without request from me, which was actually at 54k and 33 months old, so I assume it will be changed again 108,000 or 6 years old (another 32,000/2.5 years from now) when the timing belt etc needs to be changed.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 09:54   #73
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Roy, the dealer I have isnt really that forthcoming with anything to be honest. All Volvo dealers , I have had the (mis) fortune to deal with are not interested in owners . Yes, I could go to another place, but the next nearest is 25 miles away. From when I bought my car, it came with a broken headlight , that the beam hit the ground with a 'new' MOT . Not too dodgy then. Dealer ignored me. Worn rear discs and brake pads , which the forum here, helped me to get my money back from them , when I changed them and measured them. Iffy wheel repainting. So, I now used the nearest dealer to me. They sold me a car previous with a leaking steering rack, 3 buckled wheels and I asked a bullet chip in the windscreen to be repaired before I bought it. They didnt and said use the Volvo insurance cover to replace it. Nothing dodgy there either !! Oh and rack, the warranty company wouldnt repair as wasnt broken, just peeing fluid.
So, for me to jump back into the lions den and start asking about gestures for repair, I may as well shut my head in the drivers door.
Whether or not , this is how dealerships wish to look after their customers , this is just a small selection of things I have had to deal with.
On another note, when I was looking for a runaround, I could have bought another Volvo for the wife, but I didnt. Mainly because of Volvo customer care and the dealerships. So, I bought a 1 yr old 5k mile Skoda. Now it was an ex Skoda UK car and they changed the mats and I had a couple of things needing doing. I asked not to clean it , as their cleaning skills , as all dealerships is poor . It got washed sadly and I have some scratching to mop and detail. Skoda were most apologetic and I have a free service in November as compensation. They just seem a more approachable company to deal with, which doesnt take much to make a customer happy. We are now looking at the new Kodiaq to replace the Volvo in a couple of years, just because of polite, interest in customers, rather than Volvo's approach that I have dealt with over the last 3 years.
That may or may not be true .
It is not the DEALER which is at fault it is the PEOPLE they have on the front counter you are dealing with who may not be up to scratch .. Volvo have some of the highest standards and goals in the industry so if you are not satisfied you have to complain directly to the person at the top , to increase the quality... same with any company really . Likewise if you are happy with your service , write and praise them . this used to be a common practice but has died out now , either everyone is happy with service or no one can be bothered .

In those 3 years did you ever see the same advisor twice i wonder ? The better places have the same staff for years ...
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 16:02   #74
zork

Greetings!

The facelift 2013 XC60 D5 215hp model(second hand) should come out of factory with the trouble free tensioner?

Or should I ask Volvo about a recall?

I spoke with the dealer that delivered the car to the first owner and made all the revisions untill the car got to me, but they refused to give me any kind of maintanence history, saying that this kind of info is private...
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 10:08   #75
Sallys Tow Car

Angry Charging Failure - -XC60 - help!

Hi Everyone - I'm a total newbie so I hope I'm doing this correctly! On my way home I had 'Charging Failure' appear on my dash. It didn't tell me to stop so on I went on my 15 mile journey home from work. I got 2 miles from the garage and everything seemed to go. ABS, power steering, DTSC, I could hardly turn the steering wheel. It's at a local garage now but is this going to cost me a fortune? Will I need a new alternator?!!
Sallys Tow Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 13:56   #76
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallys Tow Car View Post
Hi Everyone - I'm a total newbie so I hope I'm doing this correctly! On my way home I had 'Charging Failure' appear on my dash. It didn't tell me to stop so on I went on my 15 mile journey home from work. I got 2 miles from the garage and everything seemed to go. ABS, power steering, DTSC, I could hardly turn the steering wheel. It's at a local garage now but is this going to cost me a fortune? Will I need a new alternator?!!
Hello , I would imagine it is the alternator drive belt which has failed , but can you confirm that? The other option is alternator failure . let us know the mileage , the type of engine and previous servicing history , has it missed any recall ? etc .
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 10:28   #77
KJR
KJR

Question What's the latest on these tensioners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Hello , I would imagine it is the alternator drive belt which has failed , but can you confirm that? The other option is alternator failure . let us know the mileage , the type of engine and previous servicing history , has it missed any recall ? etc .
Hi, I have a 2012 s80 D3 163 auto built in September 2011. The belt sometimes squeals when I switch on the air con..particularly on a very hot day. It also sometimes squeals when I start it. The tensioner was replaced FOC in 2015 by Volvo at 42000 miles during a service. The belt still sometimes squeals.
The car is now at 74000 miles and I am probably going to have the timing belt and all belts changed along with the auxiliary tensioner. Is there a newer tensioner since 2015? Do I need to change the water pump as well? I will be using Volvo parts bought from the UK.
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 16:44   #78
Longweekend

Our 2010 XC60 with 64K on the clock was towed into the local garage after the wife said she couldn't steer the car and all the dash lights came on!! garage said it was the alternator belt, car has a full Volvo service history but we have only owned it for 3 x months so not sure if all the recalls have been done...
Longweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 16:54   #79
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
Our 2010 XC60 with 64K on the clock was towed into the local garage after the wife said she couldn't steer the car and all the dash lights came on!! garage said it was the alternator belt, car has a full Volvo service history but we have only owned it for 3 x months so not sure if all the recalls have been done...
It seems you are very lucky there if the engine still runs ok .. whats the mileage ? aux belt should have been changed at 54000 miles and again with it's tensioner and cambelt and tensioners at 108000 miles … + the several recalls and service policies done .
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 18:09   #80
AP90

I had the belt and tensioners changed about a year ago as part of preventative maintenance, however the car made weird noises when I first got it back form the dealer. Foolishly I ignored the noise as I couldn't be arsed to take phone the dealer

About a month ago strange noises appeared at idle I ignored the issue but booked a service and asked them to look into it

Turns out the Alternator has packed up and I wound up with a £1200.00 bill
for the service new alternator belts etc

Annoyed me a bit as I had done the preventative maintenance. I reckon the dealer didn't do a great job of the tensioners and belts last year causing early failure of the alternator, my fault as I didn't take it back when the noises occurred on their replacement of the belts and tensioners

Just a note of caution to others

Other than that can't fault the car, really like it
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote