Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160831

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 00:17   #1371
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
In all truth, the Superb is my fall back Plan B if the Velar goes back!

Arianne
Superb? Nice, but too low driving position....the Smax is more XC level, I've got used to being King of the Road!!

I know, the price is daft low (heck, you could have two!).....but...but....I'm a Volvo driver, the Ford is for lesser people 😂.
Oh hang on, that would be my wife.
Maybe not.....
Okay, I'll drive anything.
Heck, we have a Figaro in the garage that only gets out once in a blue moon.....
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 15:16   #1372
Crockers
Premier Member

Xc60 v Q5 & zGLC ....XC60 came out on top. But they're all 4pot diesels.

Surely the Velar is pitched against the Q7 and the Porsche Cayenne. The later may be getting old in the tooth but it's one hell of a car to drive.

But then I know nothing as I see £70k on a new car as a horrendous investment, it's up there with thinking gilts are risk free. Lol.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 16:18   #1373
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
But then I know nothing as I see £70k on a new car as a horrendous investment, it's up there with thinking gilts are risk free. Lol.
LOL!

On the other side, you can't take it with you....

...but I know what you mean: my XC60 cost me more than my first house, which still sounds all wrong!

FWIW (not a lot, I imagine!), we did have a spin in the SMax AWD 180bhp unit....actually very comfortable, seats much more so than our existing 2013 SMax, & with as much tech as my XC60 & more (adaptive cruise, active main beam, electric everything...rear a/c...etc, etc!)....
but....
.....but......
....it was still almost £30k......& my Scottish wife is clearly a tad more thrifty than Arianne's (!) - she said it was simply too much to pay for a Ford that wasn't even brand new (ex-demo, ~5k miles) - this, despite agreeing it was actually a great drive! - so instead we enjoyed a slap-up dinner to celebrate the cash saved!

Still, no point dying wealthy....where's that loan form gone....
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 16:45   #1374
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Xc60 v Q5 & zGLC ....XC60 came out on top. But they're all 4pot diesels.

Surely the Velar is pitched against the Q7 and the Porsche Cayenne. The later may be getting old in the tooth but it's one hell of a car to drive.

Doubt you will get much of a Cayenne for £70k....

Cars are an horrendous investment generally. Now let's see Crockers, how much were your two when added together?
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 08:13   #1375
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post

Cars are an horrendous investment generally. Now let's see Crockers, how much were your two when added together?
Shhhhh I have to sleep at nights lol.

But then by the time I add up all the private education fees, "family loans" which you know never will be repaid lol. Cars are cheap.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 08:51   #1376
Braehead

Quote:

Cars are not an investment, they are a depreciating asset - unless you've bought a classic that may appreciate. It's ultimately a means of getting from A to B and it's all about how you want to do that. Buy whatever you can afford and whatever you enjoy - only you can assess the worth to you.
Braehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 14:31   #1377
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braehead View Post
Cars are not an investment, they are a depreciating asset - unless you've bought a classic that may appreciate.
Are you suggesting my XC60 isn't an appreciating asset? How very dare you!!

You're right, of course: my father once told me "once you have a car, you'll always be putting your hand in your pocket" - & he liked his cars. Never a truer word spoken!
On the bright side, my XC60 is the finest quality vehicle I've ever owned, with all mod cons, so I'm happy to continue enjoying it longer (see my 'aftermarket warranty' thread comments!!)
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 14:39   #1378
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Shhhhh I have to sleep at nights lol.

But then by the time I add up all the private education fees, "family loans" which you know never will be repaid lol. Cars are cheap.
I used to run an Audi that I paid about £33k for and a Mini for the other half which cost about £20k. I thought that was enough for cars. I only have to buy one now but struggling with the thought of spending similar on just one car and actually happier at the £35k to £40k mark, not because I cant afford more but because it doesnt feel right...

I never paid school fees, but I have done 2 through uni (including a masters for one of them!) and the usual support for others. you cant take it with you so why not...
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 14:41   #1379
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braehead View Post
Cars are not an investment, they are a depreciating asset - unless you've bought a classic that may appreciate. It's ultimately a means of getting from A to B and it's all about how you want to do that. Buy whatever you can afford and whatever you enjoy - only you can assess the worth to you.
I once added up how much they had cost over the last 30 years in depreciation. now trying to unremember that number....

In my case it is a hobby as much as anything else - I use the train for work so dont need a nice car really...
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 15:02   #1380
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
I once added up how much they had cost over the last 30 years in depreciation. now trying to unremember that number....
LOL!
That would be a horrifying game......Alfasud, Metro, Metro, Peugeot 204 (great car, cheap, first house bought!), XR2 (stolen & torched after 7 weeks ownership...made £500 on the insurance!!), Colt Turbo, XR3i, then into company cars (Rover 200, 400, Passat), then Saabs: 9-3 Aero, 95-Aero saloon, 9-5 Aero estate...now XC60.....jeez, that's a lot of dosh over the years.
& I bet I've forgotten one or two!

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan