Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Original Sensus Maps update

Views : 84033

Replies : 408

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2017, 22:09   #311
NigelDay
Premier Member

Forwarded to Marc. I'm sure he will help.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:35   #312
ZGR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpet View Post
Mill Volvo in Newcastle deny all knowledge of the update

Mill Volvo in Sunderland have arranged to get mine done at £85, the update is purely software no hardware and just allows the USB updates, no new features like wifi or Internet
....that guy, the Volvo Dealers they have no idea about what they do there... If anybody try to have a technical conversation with them.... Is gone... I spoke with 5 different volvo dealers from 5 different town's, and for the same problem, i heard 9 different opinions...
ZGR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 02:46   #313
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR44 View Post
....that guy, the Volvo Dealers they have no idea about what they do there... If anybody try to have a technical conversation with them.... Is gone... I spoke with 5 different volvo dealers from 5 different town's, and for the same problem, i heard 9 different opinions...
Then take the advice you get here on the Forum !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 11:09   #314
PhilipXC90

Does anyone know how often the map updates Are? I looked on the Volvo map care page and says 1-4 times a year but can only find an update from 2 years ago.

Taggarts in Glasgow are wanting £99 to update the software.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 15:08   #315
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipXC90 View Post
Does anyone know how often the map updates Are? I looked on the Volvo map care page and says 1-4 times a year but can only find an update from 2 years ago.

Taggarts in Glasgow are wanting £99 to update the software.
I got seduced by the 4 times a year bit....
However, Volvo aren't really interested in 'old' cars anymore so the next update for 2013 models is -

Sometime in 2018

Sometime - 'cos nothing is declared, but it's usually in May - well the last one was in May 2016.

I wish I hadn't stumped up for the upgrade....
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:15   #316
Voltan

I enquired of VolvoUK several months ago about the frequency of updates and they cited sometime in 2018 as the next update. At least, I've had one update, the 2016 one for the price of the Sensus upgrade which was cheaper than the DVD option would have been.
Nonetheless, I was expecting yearly updates, but none have been released in 2017. I feel the upgrade to the Sensus was mis-sold which is disappointing. I probably won't have the car by then!

Text of email I sent and the reply I received:

Quote:
Please enter your message here: The latest maps available for a 2011 XC60 with the Sensus upgrade to enable maps to be downloaded, are now 15 months old. These were published 30/05/2016 Version V.30.16.04

Having paid for this upgrade, I was under the impression that yearly updates would be available. Can you advise me when or if map updates will be available?
Quote:
Thank you for your email,

I can confirm that the last updated was released in mid 2016 and the next update is expected in 2018.

I regret that we do not have any further information, we will however of course note your feedback on this.

Last edited by Voltan; Oct 13th, 2017 at 13:17. Reason: additional info
Voltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 14:09   #317
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

My view is that it wasn't the update for you chaps that was mis-sold, it is whole Sensus navigation package which is pretty ... crap (I can think of other words but they would get asterisked out!)
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 15:33   #318
NigelDay
Premier Member

It was in the news yesterday that John Lewis are discontinuing shop sales of SatNavs (Garmin, TomTom) because of the rise in popularity of smartphone apps. Clearly the stand-alone SatNav world is on the decline, and it equally suggests that paying for any Sensus update is perhaps unnecessary. The only advantage in having Sensus is the ability to do all the data input etc. without taking your hands off the wheel. As for the rest -- very basic. I needed to find a post office in rural Scotland recently. Garmin took 20 seconds to locate. Sensus wouldn't even know where to look. Enough said.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 16:38   #319
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
It was in the news yesterday that John Lewis are discontinuing shop sales of SatNavs (Garmin, TomTom) because of the rise in popularity of smartphone apps. Clearly the stand-alone SatNav world is on the decline, and it equally suggests that paying for any Sensus update is perhaps unnecessary. The only advantage in having Sensus is the ability to do all the data input etc. without taking your hands off the wheel. As for the rest -- very basic. I needed to find a post office in rural Scotland recently. Garmin took 20 seconds to locate. Sensus wouldn't even know where to look. Enough said.
I hope you selected Scotland first, before trying to find the Post Office?

tem.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 16:42   #320
Voltan

I have had several generations of SatNav's from early Garmin III plus connected to a laptop running Microsoft StreetMap software (it had voice output -the passenger holding the laptop), a Garmin 1100 PDA based one for which maps were expensive to keep updated but it was quite advanced for it's time with voice and was enhanced by a magnetic aerial on the roof, a bluetooth NavTeq receiver, again connected to a laptop, a TomTom, and NavMii on the iPhone or iPad. Whilst the latter are great with respect to the currency of the data, I still prefer the interface and convenience of the in-built Sensus one I have - if only map updates were more frequently and freely available as Volvo suggested.