Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus software licence number

Views : 5600

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 20:48   #11
ZGR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Whilst your 5 years studying may have given you an understanding of computer science your 9 years in computer warranty doesn't appear to have provided you with the commercial knowledge required to understand why you need to pay for licence codes and the software that enables 'free' software updates.
I don't have too, it's simple, you volvo, get an update for free, ( if is not for free, tell us) but the navigation ask about the license number, that update is for my car model, what he have fitted that sensus navigation. I don't think is necessary to have the commercial knowledge to understand their tricks...
ZGR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:41   #12
londor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR44 View Post
I don't think is necessary to have the commercial knowledge to understand their tricks...
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Your car came with 3 years free updates done via DVDs. After those initial 3 years if you wanted to update the cartography you needed to pay for each update.

Shortly after your car was originally bought Volvo changed the system. They used to use Navteq as their supplier for the cartography until a consortium of manufacturers which included Volvo bought Here. Because now they own the company that supplies the cartography they started to offer free updates for life for their new vehicles which is why you can download the new maps from Volvo's website.

For cars with the old system Volvo offers an update that removes the necessity to enter a licence code for a one-off fee. After this update you will be able to download from Volvo's website the new maps updates and you won't be prompted for a code.
londor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to londor For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:03   #13
Rooster
Speed freak

The IAM upgrade software is I think around 35quid plus an hour of the tech's time to load it into the car which if it goes pete tong and ends up with a remote connection from Sweden then that hour turns into five, but your still only getting charged the hour.
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 06:23   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't have too, it's simple, you volvo, get an update for free, ( if is not for free, tell us) but the navigation ask about the license number, that update is for my car model, what he have fitted that sensus navigation. I don't think is necessary to have the commercial knowledge to understand their tricks...
The update is not free, it was never free - on your Sensus Version you pay for a DVD update which comes with the licence number, on my version the cost of the update is included within the cost of the satnav option at time of build.

The upgrade offered by Volvo reduces the cost of DVD production and distribution and is offered to you at a reduced price to provide you with map updates free of charge.

You can complain and whinge as much as you want, on as many threads as you want however that will not alter the fact that you either pay for a licence code to activate the maps or you pay for the IAM update - either way you will need to pay.

Meantime take the advice that when you are in a hole stop digging before the laser gets too short and accept the advice being offered gracefully.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 08:59   #15
ZGR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
Brindley Volvo are correct, there is a one time IAM update to enable USB updates on the earlier sensus systems.

Takes around an hour and as an indie Volvo garage we charge approx £100 to do it, once done you can update it for life free of charge.

Considering the update DVD's used to cost £140 plus Vat its not that bad
The usb is already enabled, the navigation he recognized he's updates by usb...what i need is just the licence number, i dont need any services from them, just an information about my car software licence number.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 09:15   #16
ZGR44

Quote:
The update is not free, it was never free - on your Sensus Version you pay for a DVD update which comes with the licence number, on my version the cost of the update is included within the cost of the satnav option at time of build.

The upgrade offered by Volvo reduces the cost of DVD production and distribution and is offered to you at a reduced price to provide you with map updates free of charge.

You can complain and whinge as much as you want, on as many threads as you want however that will not alter the fact that you either pay for a licence code to activate the maps or you pay for the IAM update - either way you will need to pay.

Meantime take the advice that when you are in a hole stop digging before the laser gets too short and accept the advice being offered gracefully.
Maybe my english is rusty and i'm not able to explain exactly what i would like too, but that licence was pay it by the first owner in the car price. What they offer is that "free" update on their website, just because im not the first owner, im not recieve that DVD what he have the licence number, BUT when you buy a laptop whit windows system operation you pay for Notebook himself and for the windows operating system, IF by mistake you lose your licence and you ask to recover your licence number from microsoft, THEY NEVER EVER ask you MONEY for YOUR licence. They ask you to proof your identity and the laptop provenience documents and they provide you , your originaly licence number what was fitted on your laptop by builder (hp, asus, toshiba, or any other system integrator) WITHOUT any aditional payment.

Last edited by ZGR44; Aug 18th, 2017 at 09:17.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 12:46   #17
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe my english is rusty and i'm not able to explain exactly what i would like too, but that licence was pay it by the first owner in the car price. What they offer is that "free" update on their website, just because im not the first owner, im not recieve that DVD what he have the licence number, BUT when you buy a laptop whit windows system operation you pay for Notebook himself and for the windows operating system, IF by mistake you lose your licence and you ask to recover your licence number from microsoft, THEY NEVER EVER ask you MONEY for YOUR licence. They ask you to proof your identity and the laptop provenience documents and they provide you , your originaly licence number what was fitted on your laptop by builder (hp, asus, toshiba, or any other system integrator) WITHOUT any aditional payment.
I don't actually think you understand what has been explained by several of us on the thread. Have a careful read of the previous posts. You have an older car and the 'original free updates' have now ended. To move to the new world of free updates, your older car needs a software upgrade to enable these new free updates.
Perhaps this analogy might work. You buy some software v.3.0. The deal is you have free upgrades within v.3.x
Then a year later they bring out v.4. You don't this for free. You need to pay either full retail or at a concessionary price as an upgrade.
Does this explain where you are ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 13:55   #18
ZGR44

Quote:
Whilst your 5 years studying may have given you an understanding of computer science your 9 years in computer warranty doesn't appear to have provided you with the commercial knowledge required to understand why you need to pay for licence codes and the software that enables 'free' software updates.
Sure, just a commercial tricks, 5 minutes ago i finish to spoke with Volvo dealer from Birmingham, Paul Rigby Volvo, and the price rise to 199 pounds... Really.... I will put out the hard drive from the car becuse he have one and i will install my own navigation software what he don't need their support anymore. All the multimedia car system is Linux based. . I'm bored about that ****. Problem sorted.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 16:02   #19
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

So you want to spend many, many unpaid hours reinventing something that already works plus buy the components required to make your solution work, all to save £50 and at the same time reduce the value of your car significantly - you really don't understand commercial reality do you?

Good luck, you are really going to need it.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 18:03   #20
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
If you want a Microsoft analagy, the car has Office 2010 installed, you want Office 2017, nothing is lost, its just the free upgrades are done for your version, it still worked.....